kole_743

Distinguished
Feb 28, 2010
Hello,
Currently have an ECS915g-m motherboard with prescott-2m 670. Was able to overclock it to 4.20GHz w/ idle temp at 28C. Had this board almost 5 yrs but want to put off buying another PC for another 2-3 years. I want to upgrade the CPU to E5400, but couldn't find any information if this motherboard support the dual-core. Does any one know what's the highest/fastest processor I could upgrade to with ECS915g-m motherboard? Does it support any dual-core such as Exxx?

Thanks in advance.

festerovic

Distinguished
I could tell you that 915 chipset may support first edition exxx chips, but then, ECS may not. So you will need to check the CPU support page for the board.

Now, if you are considering spending more money on that platform, I think its a waste when you can get new mobo and chip combos of modern chips for less than $75. Just my opinion.

kole_743

Distinguished
Feb 28, 2010

Thanks for the reply festerovic. I was able to find the answer from wiki

"The 915- and 925-series chipsets did not work at all with the Smithfields, as they did not support more than one core (to prevent motherboard manufacturers from using them for Xeon branded motherboards, as had happened with the 875P chipset)."

What you said makes sense from $$$ viewpoint, but from a time stand point, it's a lot of work to replace a mobo. Especially if you want to retain your hard drive content. You can't just drop in a new mobo and expect your current drive to bootup. The PC is OEM therefore I don't have the bootable CD only the recovery CD, which makes it very difficult to replace mobo w/o formatting my hard drive. Anyway, I'll see how long this rig will last. I usually have a set budget to replace my PC every 4-5 years, but with the economy the way it is I'm just trying to push it out.

Thanks again.