New Dell Vostro 460 - buy now, or wait?

noonin

Distinguished
Dec 7, 2005
I need to pick up a system for work in the next month or so max. I do basic Internet, Quick Books, photo editing/graphic art (Photoshop/Coreldraw). I might try a little video encoding/editing, but not my primary work. No Games. I just saw Dell had upgraded the Vostro 430 to the 460 with Sandybridge processors and wondered what you guys think of this config, and should I be even considering a new Business model until the bugs are worked out, or are they tested enough? Heard shaky things about the Studio XPS 8000 when it first came out a couple years ago, though that was a "Home" system. Right now they're running a 30% off coupon I'd like to use for around total $450 off.

Windows 7 Pro 64 bit
Processor - Intel 2500
HD - 320GB
RAM - 4GB
GPU - NVIDIA GT420
Optical drive - single DVD burner
Monitor - Ultrasharp U2311H
Dell 19 in 1 media card reader
2 years Pro Support

Cost - just under $1000

noonin1

Distinguished
Jan 18, 2006
I'll add a second HD for files later. Just going to use the primary HD for OS and programs mainly. What do you think about buying a Dell Business system when the CPU and MoBo are a new design, as far as being stable? Any thoughts on the NVIDIA GPU? I am toying with getting no card for now, to see how the Sandy bridge onboard graphics work, and adding one later if need be.

I don't think this price will last long though, so gotta decide soon ;-)

noonin1

Distinguished
Jan 18, 2006

Oh, freaking wunderful...I emailed the link to the salesperson at Dell to see what he thinks. Hopefully Dell is on top of it ;-)

dg27

Distinguished
Nov 7, 2010

I agree with this advice, particularly since you are using Photoshop. It's always best to set up an internal HD as your scratch disk, where the temp files are stored while you're working on a piece. And I am not a fan of storing data files of any kind on the boot drive. I have a 1TB boot on my Dell 9100 and it's total waste of space (I'm using about 60 GBs for the OS + apps). I keep my graphics files on an internal 1 TB drive and have that as well a 2nd internal as my two scratch disks.

dg