Sign in with
Your question

Help HDD isn't recognized

Last response: in Motherboards
January 3, 2012 5:30:58 PM

I just built a new pc but my HDD isn't being recognized when i'm trying to install windows 7 professional 64 bit. I have a 500gb WD HDD and a Gigabyte z68MA-D2H-B3 Motherboard, the HDD is plugged into the board with a SATA cable. Any idea on why its not being recognized?

Please help.

More about : hdd recognized

a c 717 V Motherboard
a b $ Windows 7
January 3, 2012 5:42:17 PM

I assume that both the SATA cable and SATA power cable are connected.

Use the blue SATA Port for the HDD:

| B/Blank | B/HDD | W/Blank | .... CPU
| B/Blank | B/DVD | W/Blank |
m
l
a b V Motherboard
a b $ Windows 7
January 3, 2012 5:59:51 PM

Not being recognized by what? Bios? My computer? Device manager?

Did you initialize the hd in disk management?
m
l
Related resources
January 3, 2012 7:05:35 PM

The HDD is recognized by the Bios....Its a brand new WD HDD... When i try to install windows 7 the HDD isn't being recognized. I'm thinking its Windows 7, any thoughts on how to fix this.
m
l
January 3, 2012 7:20:52 PM

I actually have windows on a thumb drive and dvd and both are doing the same thing.
m
l
January 3, 2012 9:20:29 PM

This is what i did..... I took a laptop hdd and placed it into my desktop. I booted my desktop with the laptop hdd. I then placed the WD HDD ( the one that i've been having trouble with) as a second hard drive. I noticed that windows recognized the WD HDD and could write to it. I also reformatted the WD HDD. I then tried to run the windows installation from my laptop hdd so i could install it on my WD HDD and once again it didn't recognize it. I thought maybe i could clone my laptop HDD to my WD HDD and Acronis "clone software" couldn't recognize the WD HDD as well. This is frustrating...... Why can i write to the WD HDD but cant install the OS.
m
l
a b V Motherboard
a b $ Windows 7
January 4, 2012 12:53:53 PM

Your not explaining what your trying to do....you booted a desktop with your laptop hd?? Why? Why are you cloning the drive?

So you can write to the drive but it's not recognized....what are you writing to the drive?
m
l
a c 717 V Motherboard
a b $ Windows 7
January 4, 2012 1:19:08 PM

^+1

Simply install the DVD + HDD as I posted above. I can certainly understand when a DVD fails (failure happens often enough), but not when a 'Correct' USB install is used as I also linked above. I very rarely use the DVD to install an OS, and you MUST use the native USB 2.0 ports -- USB 3.0 will NOT work.
m
l
January 13, 2012 3:33:28 PM

figured it out.....the hdd is broken..... ran some tests on it to see if it could write zeros and it i got a bunch of errors.
m
l
a b V Motherboard
a b $ Windows 7
January 14, 2012 1:25:02 AM

hmims said:
figured it out.....the hdd is broken..... ran some tests on it to see if it could write zeros and it i got a bunch of errors.

If the HDD is brand new, then why you are going to fix HDD errors? Simply get a replacement.
m
l
!