Sign in with
Your question
Solved

Can a Sony Vaio VPCM121AX cpu be upgraded?

Last response: in CPUs
April 29, 2011 1:04:49 PM

Hello, Does anyone know if this Sony Vaio ( VPCM121AX ) CPU can be upgraded to a faster one? If anyone has an answer please let me know. Also if you might know where to buy one.

Thank you very much,
Mike :hello: 

Best solution

a c 98 à CPUs
April 29, 2011 4:14:22 PM

The problems with upgrading the CPU in any laptop is the increase in TDP. This increase will usually result in additional heat, and this is not a good thing in laptops.

An easy way to increase the performance is to increase the RAM to the max that the board will support. Installed: 1GB (1GBx1) - Maximum: 2GB - Type/Speed: DDR2/667MH

Leave the 250 GB hard drive alone.

More info: http://esupport.sony.com/US/perl/model-documents.pl?mdl...
a b à CPUs
April 29, 2011 4:55:54 PM

one of the best ways to increase speed in any laptop is the addition of more Ram.
m
l
Related resources
April 30, 2011 3:09:57 PM

Ubrales said:
The problems with upgrading the CPU in any laptop is the increase in TDP. This increase will usually result in additional heat, and this is not a good thing in laptops.

An easy way to increase the performance is to increase the RAM to the max that the board will support. Installed: 1GB (1GBx1) - Maximum: 2GB - Type/Speed: DDR2/667MH

Leave the 250 GB hard drive alone.

More info: http://esupport.sony.com/US/perl/model-documents.pl?mdl...

Thank you very much for the info. I did increase the ram to 2GB. Was just curious if the cpu could be upgraded.

Thanks Mike
m
l
April 30, 2011 3:11:30 PM

ghnader hsmithot said:
one of the best ways to increase speed in any laptop is the addition of more Ram.

Thank you for the info. I did already increase the Ram was just wondering if the CPU could be upgraded.

Thanks Mike
m
l
a b à CPUs
April 30, 2011 3:32:00 PM

Overall, no. It's a netbook, which are not designed for CPU intensive task. They are designed really just to check your email on the go. If you really need CPU speed, time for a new system overall.
m
l
May 10, 2011 12:47:26 PM

Best answer selected by 1954mike.
m
l
a c 98 à CPUs
May 10, 2011 1:17:46 PM

Thank you!
m
l
August 3, 2012 2:11:57 AM

sorry bout the dead thread...but im trying to figure out how to upgrade the laptop from 1gb to 2gb..but i just cant seem to be able to take the netbook apart...sony viao vpcm121ax/w...any help with step by step..thanks
m
l
August 3, 2012 2:17:57 AM

1954mike said:
Thank you very much for the info. I did increase the ram to 2GB. Was just curious if the cpu could be upgraded.

Thanks Mike

could u tell me how u added the 2gb ram to that laptop..i just cant seem to understand how to upgrade it...step by step would be nice to take it apart to upgrade ram...thanks
m
l
!