Tags:
  • Homebuilt
  • SSD
  • Configuration
  • Systems
Last response: in Systems
January 31, 2011 2:00:35 PM

Hi Guys

Please see my sig for the machine spec in question.

Overall the system is superb, runs fast, cool and quiet. I get great performance etc......

But I have a small, odd problem. If left alone for a long while, overnight for example it will reboot. But it won't boot back up successfully, I don't have the exact error to hand but basically it can no longer see my OS disk. In the POST screen it says no disk detected. Once I unplug the machine for 10 seconds and try again all is good EVERYTIME.

Weird no?

More about : hmmmm mobo ssd config issue

a b B Homebuilt system
January 31, 2011 2:09:58 PM

When the problem happens again, crack the case open and unplug the power from the hard drives, then plug them back in. Do a soft reboot (ctrl+alt+del) and see if the drives are recognized. If they are, that points to the drives and / or SATA controller. If you still need to power off for 10 seconds I would try disabling the power management in the BIOS...
m
l
January 31, 2011 2:31:35 PM

If I do a reboot normally it is perfect, so I am thinking that it is a simple driver issue and your comments seem to support that. I will have a look for updated drivers tonight! Thanks for the quick response!
m
l
Related resources
February 1, 2011 1:31:42 AM

I've just updated the SATA drivers and the BIOS, I will leave on overnight to test.
m
l
a b B Homebuilt system
February 1, 2011 6:55:12 PM

Have you seen the news about the P67 chipset and the SATA controllers? That may be related... :( 
m
l
February 1, 2011 7:06:47 PM

Errrr, no I haven't???

Machine was still on this morning though, I'm hopeful that it may be fixed.
m
l
a b B Homebuilt system
February 1, 2011 8:12:24 PM

http://news.cnet.com/8301-13924_3-20030070-64.html

There's been an issue with degrading SATA controllers in "some" P67 boards (those that use the Cougar Point chipset - I don't know which ones those are, but they are limited to P67 boards). It will affect SATA ports 2-5, but not 0 and 1 apparently. Sadly, if you RMA'd you wouldn't see a replacement until at least March.
m
l