Sign in with
Your question

Computer freezing when files are coping

Last response: in Systems
January 31, 2011 3:01:49 PM

I have some hardware problem which I cannot understand where the problem is. My laptop is freezing when I trying to copy some files form USB, External HDD, DVD ROM, through network, even to different folder in the same partition. My first guess was HDD but I tried with new one but I still have problem. I tried with new memory module but nothing. It is worth to mention that problem come up only after 15-20 minutes after laptop is turned on (in first 15 minutes there is not freezing), I cleaned processor and temperature of processor is not the problem (but definitely there is something with temperature because in first 15 min he is working fine). I tried Linux, Windows but the problem is the same. After my laptop is freezed only Power button works to turn it off. Computer freezes not only when coping files but such situation is much rare in compare when coping files.
I have laptop Fujitsu Siemens Amilo Pro v2055 (4 years old) and I want to hear some other opinion before I take it to some computer service.
a b B Homebuilt system
a b D Laptop
January 31, 2011 3:06:19 PM

Check the event viewer to see if it's logging errors.
February 7, 2011 7:44:38 PM

I have some Worning: Source: disc, Event ID: 51 and 34, with description: An error was detected od on device \Device\Harddisk1\D during a paging operation.
I searched web, but I didn't find any appropriate solution. Can this be a problem I have.
Related resources
a b B Homebuilt system
a b D Laptop
February 7, 2011 7:54:03 PM

Yes, that might be the problem.

Start-->run-->type chkdsk /r and press enter. It'll schedule a chkdsk for the next time you restart the computer, and try to repair any errors it finds.
February 7, 2011 8:09:00 PM

Yes, but there is a problem. Computer freezes during that operation. I cannot finish it successful.
a b B Homebuilt system
a b D Laptop
February 7, 2011 8:50:01 PM

Find out who makes the hard drive. Then go to their website, and download their hard drive diagnostic tool. Try running that.
February 10, 2011 8:10:49 PM

I tried with some tool from my hard drive manufacture (SeaTools). All tests pass without errors. Computer didn't freeze during that time, everything was normally. It isn't problem with hard drive. Problem is in communication from USB (Ethernet, DVD) to the memory (or something else, I don't know)
May 13, 2011 7:00:28 PM

Just for record, I find where is the problem. The problem is overheating of South Bridge which happens to have all notebooks from this series (Fujitsu Siemens Amilo Pro v2055).
!