Sign in with
Your question

Gigabyte Z68 boot cycling problem

Last response: in Motherboards
January 3, 2012 10:18:58 PM

I just finished building a system with a Gigabyte GA-Z68X-UD3H-B3 motherboard (MoBo) and an Intel i7-2600K CPU. The MoBo is rev 1.3 with the F9 BIOS.

I have only a DVD drive, mouse, and keyboard. There is nothing else installed. If I try to boot Knoppix from the DVD I get an error "panicing machine check CPU died" at the same line every time. Ubuntu fails with an error advising it will reboot in 30 seconds.

Micron assures me their memory is compatible with this board. I have tried using two sticks in different sockets, and using only one stick. It still fails. If I leave the system in the BIOS screen for an hour and then try a reboot it does the same thing.

So this does not seem to be heat or memory related. I do see a lot of traffic on Gigabyte Z68 and P67 MoBos with a boot loop problem. I have found no positive fixes, only complaints or suggestions such as turning the power off for an hour.

I have written to Gigabyte about this. I get the impression from some other forums that they are less than responsive, which is why I stopped buying from Asus.

As for my skill level, I have been building systems since the 1980s and I used to show others how to do it. I have built a few hundred systems over the years so I am not a novice. Keeping up with the latest trends can be a challenge, though.

Any suggestions from this forum will be greatly appreciated.

Please note: Your sub-category selection does not scroll past "Epox" so I had to click a category that is less than accurate.

More about : gigabyte z68 boot cycling problem

a c 223 V Motherboard
January 4, 2012 1:49:56 AM

I've heard of horror stories about the customer service, or lack of it, from both ASUS and GIGABYTE.

What is the make and model of the power supply unit that you're using in this build?

What is the make and model of the graphics card?
m
l
January 4, 2012 1:54:59 PM

Power supply is Thermaltake TR2-500W. There is no graphics card; I am using the built-in video from the CPU. Cooling is Thermaltake Contac 30.

As configured right now the system has a keyboard, mouse, and DVD drive. The hard drive is disconnected to simplify the equation.

The hard drive has XP from a prior use. When I brought the machine up from the hard drive XP came up to the point where it switches graphics mode and then it rebooted with no errors or warnings. Usually, when you transplant XP to a new MoBo, it tells you there is a hardware issue or a disk failure before dying.

When I tried running the Windows 7 installation I got a blue screen with 0x00000124.

This is not a heat problem as the CPU is running 22 degrees celsius. Micron guarantees their memory is 100% compatible.

As for customer support, I sent Gigabyte a note but their on-line system never sent an e-mail, only an on-screen acknowledgment. There is a Web address for picking up replies if the e-mail does not come through but it is a generic forum and when I try to enter I wind up with an error and a page full of code.

I am thinking it is time for an Asus board. It is a shame because I have talked to people who have that same board and love it, but the boot loop problem is all over Google.
m
l
Related resources
a c 223 V Motherboard
January 4, 2012 6:39:18 PM

Thermaltake has been known to pull some shenanigans with their low-end TR2 Series. One of the TR2 500 Watt models, the W0093 which is now discontinued, was just a re-badged CWT PSF450S-30 and couldn't even deliver the 500 Watts that Thermaltake put on the label. There are at least four TR2 500Watt models, that I know of, each with different OEMs, specifications, efficiency and warranty lengths.

"Usually, when you transplant XP to a new MoBo, it tells you there is a hardware issue or a disk failure before dying."

Not when there's a hardware problem preventing that from happening. Some device driver loading during OS boot will also fail and cause a reboot without displaying an error message. That's when you try booting in Safe Mode to bypass the offending driver(s).

The Windows 7 STOP: 0x00000124 (0x0000000?, ...) error is definitely a hardware error.

You didn't specify the "0x0000000?" parameter part of the error. That first parameter indicates the cause of the error.

m
l
January 4, 2012 9:00:19 PM

Hallelujah! Micro Center comes through again.

I spoke with a younger fellow who said he had experience building systems, including several with the very board in question. He agreed that it looked as if I had two problems, one I have affectionately (?!) calling "Oot-bay Oops-lay", in the same pig Latin vein as the cereal commercial. The machine would sometimes start and then restart and sometimes the reset switch would cause it to power down for 30 seconds and then come back up.

I mentioned the problem of the system presenting a CPU panic error, a missing CPU error, and a Windows bug check. It seems that these would occur about the time the software switched into the higher resolution mode. He agreed to replace both the MoBo and the CPU. My outlay was about $35 to cover the higher priced Asus P8Z68V-Gen3 board and a tube of thermal grease for the Thermaltake cooler.

The board came up on the first try without a reboot. It told me there had been a CPU change so it was entering setup. Sure. There was once no CPU and now there was a very fancy one. No problem, except that the BIOS setup screen was fully graphical, with full mouse control.

Talk about a mind blower. I had absolutely no idea where to find anything. I was able to figure it out rather easily and the more I work with it the more I like it. Asus has done a really find job with this board. It has some neat features, and a very strange one.

There are no chipset fans. Instead there are these curved blue heat fins that look something like Sydney opera house. It was a little tight but there was ample room to mount the Thermaltake C30 cooler, and with far less hassle than on the Gigabyte board. The on-board LED is inside a power switch. Just push this device and the system will power up, even if the front panel is not connected. That is a very nice touch.

There is a memory light and a button. If your memory is not up to the standards of the system it will sample and reboot as often as necessary to re-configure itself to use that memory. As it is the BIOS listed my four memory sticks by brand and type and all of the specifications for them. Apparently it likes them, even though they are not on the approved memory list.

The strange feature is the memory sockets. These are one sided. You slide in the stick and push down. The left side does not move but the right side does.

I put in the Ubuntu CD and saw the funny symbols appear that show it is loading. These disappeared for a few seconds and then an option screen appeared asking if I wanted to install or just run. I chose the run option, the screen blanked for a second, after which I had a full desktop in 1928 x 1280. I clicked the Firefox button and brought up my own Website. I did not kow that old monitor could reach that sort of resolution but it did.

So far so good. I will hook up the hard drive, install Windows 7 OEM, and not activate it until I am sure this new MoBo is going to hold up. So far it looks very promising.

Many thanks. one and all, for all of the good postings here.
m
l
January 7, 2012 5:09:51 PM

... waiting for reply from Gigabyte ...

I sent the note January 4th. It is January 7th and still no reply.

Update: January 9th, the letter still has not been opened and no reply or acknowledgement has been received.
m
l
January 8, 2012 1:20:07 PM

ko888 said:
Thermaltake has been known to pull some shenanigans with their low-end TR2 Series. One of the TR2 500 Watt models, the W0093 which is now discontinued, was just a re-badged CWT PSF450S-30 and couldn't even deliver the 500 Watts that Thermaltake put on the label. There are at least four TR2 500Watt models, that I know of, each with different OEMs, specifications, efficiency and warranty lengths.

"Usually, when you transplant XP to a new MoBo, it tells you there is a hardware issue or a disk failure before dying."

Not when there's a hardware problem preventing that from happening. Some device driver loading during OS boot will also fail and cause a reboot without displaying an error message. That's when you try booting in Safe Mode to bypass the offending driver(s).

The Windows 7 STOP: 0x00000124 (0x0000000?, ...) error is definitely a hardware error.

You didn't specify the "0x0000000?" parameter part of the error. That first parameter indicates the cause of the error.

I had no idea they were playing games with their power supplies. This one seems to be doing OK. I have two hard drives in the system and no plug-in video so this power supply will have an easy time of it. I may add another hard drive some day.

Many times when XP is transplanted to a new MoBo there will be driver problems that prevent a proper start-up. I would assume that 7 has the same problem. For backup I am using Acronis True Image with the Plus Pack, which allows restoring to different hardware. If the MoBo ever dies that might preserve Windows, however, I have the OEM version so that is a question. It can only be installed on one system and not re-installed.
m
l
January 18, 2012 1:18:48 AM

Update on the Boot Loop problem:

Gigabyte was basically very unresponsive to my messages, usually answering by telling me to do what I told them I had already done. I finally had one person reply that they had not seen any problem with boot loops.

I suggested they check out the forums, including this one, and see what is really going on if they want to preserve their good reputation. I received what seemed to be a personal and very warm reply. This person said they could not reproduce the problem in their lab, and that he would pass my suggestion on to some others.

My replacement Asus board came up on the first try and it is running very well.

m
l
!