Power icon shows "unknown remaining" after new battery

Last response: in Laptops & Notebooks
a b D Laptop
March 11, 2005 7:59:29 PM

Hi,

I have a Fujitsu-Siemens Amilo D 8820 on which I replaced a worn-out
battery with a non-original one.
After this the power monitor always reports "unknown remaining" charge
with this new battery but, if I replace the original battery the gauge
works as expected, although for only about 10 minutes because it is
over 2 years old.
The new battery charges and discharges as expected, with about 2 hours
autonomy, lights the charging led and flashes the power led when close
to ending charge, all as expected, just doesn't indicate charge
remaining.
My OS is XP SP2 with ACPI bios.
When I open the Power Options of control panel and read the battery
data, it's mostly blank with the new battery which leads me to believe
that the bios detects that it's not an original battery and blocks
most of the data but not all.
If so, this seems to me as an illegitimate blocking to free trade but
that's not what worries me, I just want my gauge back.

Any helping ideas, please?
jss
Anonymous
a b D Laptop
March 14, 2005 3:42:30 PM

"jss" <jsantossilva@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> Hi,
>
> I have a Fujitsu-Siemens Amilo D 8820 on which I replaced a worn-out
> battery with a non-original one.
> After this the power monitor always reports "unknown remaining" charge
> with this new battery but, if I replace the original battery the gauge
> works as expected, although for only about 10 minutes because it is
> over 2 years old.
> The new battery charges and discharges as expected, with about 2 hours
> autonomy, lights the charging led and flashes the power led when close
> to ending charge, all as expected, just doesn't indicate charge
> remaining.
> My OS is XP SP2 with ACPI bios.
> When I open the Power Options of control panel and read the battery
> data, it's mostly blank with the new battery which leads me to believe
> that the bios detects that it's not an original battery and blocks
> most of the data but not all.
> If so, this seems to me as an illegitimate blocking to free trade but
> that's not what worries me, I just want my gauge back.

I would suggest that you have a pattern battery that has omitted the
circuitry that reports the charge status to the Laptop.

Ian.
Anonymous
a b D Laptop
March 21, 2005 7:08:12 PM

"Ye Electric Fanne Clubbe" <ian.shorrocks@baeherclothessystems.com> wrote in message news:<423584f0$1_1@baen1673807.greenlnk.net>...

> I would suggest that you have a pattern battery that has omitted the
> circuitry that reports the charge status to the Laptop.

Hi Ian,

Thank you for your help but I'm sorry to say that the battery has a
circuit similar to the original pack. I saw it. It has a
microcontroller and several glue IC's.

In fact, I tried to replace the new circuit with the original one on
an attempt to make it work. What happened then is that I ruined the
original circuit because stupidly I didn't notice that the new cells
were assembled reversed to the original and so I applied a reversed
voltage to the original (not new circuit).

Any other thoughts?
jss
Related resources
March 21, 2005 9:13:03 PM

jss wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I have a Fujitsu-Siemens Amilo D 8820 on which I replaced a worn-out
> battery with a non-original one.
> After this the power monitor always reports "unknown remaining" charge
> with this new battery but, if I replace the original battery the gauge
> works as expected, although for only about 10 minutes because it is
> over 2 years old.
> The new battery charges and discharges as expected, with about 2 hours
> autonomy, lights the charging led and flashes the power led when close
> to ending charge, all as expected, just doesn't indicate charge
> remaining.
> My OS is XP SP2 with ACPI bios.
> When I open the Power Options of control panel and read the battery
> data, it's mostly blank with the new battery which leads me to believe
> that the bios detects that it's not an original battery and blocks
> most of the data but not all.
> If so, this seems to me as an illegitimate blocking to free trade but
> that's not what worries me, I just want my gauge back.
>
> Any helping ideas, please?
> jss

This happens if the computer can't determine the charge level.
Sometimes the vendor supplies a calibration utility or manual
instructions to fix this.
mike

..
MAKE THE OBVIOUS CHANGES TO THE LINK
a b D Laptop
March 23, 2005 6:24:40 AM

mike <spamme0@netscape.net> wrote in message news:<423F7F2F.6020906@netscape.net>...

> This happens if the computer can't determine the charge level.
> Sometimes the vendor supplies a calibration utility or manual
> instructions to fix this.
> mike

Hi Mike,
Thank you for your help.
I just contacted the supplier, which is psaparts in the UK, and
unfortunately they weren't able to help. They just offered a refund in
case I want to turn it back.
jss
Anonymous
a b D Laptop
March 23, 2005 11:30:15 AM

> "Ye Electric Fanne Clubbe" <ian.shorrocks@baeherclothessystems.com> wrote
in message news:<423584f0$1_1@baen1673807.greenlnk.net>...

> > I would suggest that you have a pattern battery that has omitted the
> > circuitry that reports the charge status to the Laptop.
>
> Hi Ian,
>
> Thank you for your help but I'm sorry to say that the battery has a
> circuit similar to the original pack. I saw it. It has a
> microcontroller and several glue IC's.
>
> In fact, I tried to replace the new circuit with the original one on
> an attempt to make it work. What happened then is that I ruined the
> original circuit because stupidly I didn't notice that the new cells
> were assembled reversed to the original and so I applied a reversed
> voltage to the original (not new circuit).

I cannot remember the content of the original post, but do I understand that
you have disconnected the circuit board from the batteries? Most of these
circuits have a small amount of processing power to manage the battery
charging: report the charge status etc, as you note. A number (but not all)
hold the processor program in RAM, either separate RAM or as part of the
microcontroller. These are programmed once the battery pack is assembled.
Diconnect the batteries from the board and the program is gone.

Having said that, the fact that you can charge the battery without it
errupting an a huge fireball suggests this scenario is unlikely. If the
cell conections to the new board are reversed to the original, then this
would indicate that the new board is different.

It may be that the replacement battery pack was just plain faulty, but as
you have pulled it apart, I suspect a warranty claim is out of the question.

Just a final thought. Have you tried calibrating the charge monitor
(assuming it exists)? This is achieved by fully charging the battery and
then allowing the laptop to discharge it until it shuts down. Many modern
laptops flag this event to the battery monitor circuit together with the
intended percentage charge endpoint. The monitor circuit stores this
information and then uses it to calculate the charge level during future
discharges and signal this to the laptop, At least that is the was it
should work.

Ian.
!