computernugget

Distinguished
Apr 24, 2011
my brothers computer has a core 2 quad q9650 and a 9800gt, when ever i play empire earth i get a max of 20 fps at any resolution. its unplayable, it lags horribly everytime i move the mouse, and have a unit running around.

and my sisters computer has a core 2 duo (mobile) at 2.0 ghz (hp touchsmart IQ500) and it can play empire earth very smoothly with no lag at all above 30fps

i wanted to know why does my brothers computer get assy frames while my sisters doesnt?

these computers both have 4gb of ram, my brothers has ddr2-1066, while my sisters has ddr2-800.

computernugget

Distinguished
Apr 24, 2011
normmally i play at 1440 x 900. and my brothers is running windows 7 ultimate 64. and my sisters is running windows vista home premium 64 bit. and yes they both have the newest drivers for everything.

and the settings are maxed out, this game doesnt have too much visuals anyway. and also on my brothers computer i would get artifacts in the gae every now and then.

abdussamad

Distinguished
Jan 9, 2010

Your brother probably has all sorts of junk running in the background on his pc. Scan for and remove malware and viruses on his pc. Also defragment his hard drive. Trim down the list of programs that run at startup.

internetlad

Distinguished
Jan 23, 2011
without employing hyperthreading a quad core means nothing in games, as they will only utilize one core. I run a core 2 duo in my gaming machine and i'm happy with it.

That said you should see what is running in the background, disable AV software if possible.

computernugget

Distinguished
Apr 24, 2011
my brothers would always have his computer well maintained, hes own a computer repair place. he doesnt install junk programs or has anything running that he will never need. the only thing running in the back would be that Thunderbird program for his email.

hyperthreading had nothing to do with this, period.

computernugget

Distinguished
Apr 24, 2011
the only thing he has oc'd on his computer is the cpu. and he doesnt have the side panel on his computer for better airflow. and his computer is a bit dusty but thats his problem to fix hes doesnt let me clean it for him. and i would only get artifacts while playing empire earth. i never got artifacts while playing medieval II total war or star wars empire at war.

which reminds me, i could also never get his World at War to run, it would crash all the time saying that his directX isnt compatible. which is really wierd cuz all his drivers are up to date.

TRENDING THREADS