ASUS Maximus IV GENE-Z (Optical In?)

Altonymous

Distinguished
Jun 15, 2011

The video cards cover the PCI cover the slots on the board themselves. As far as expansions on the back I have one that I think is supposed to be used for a fan control, that I don't use. I am hoping to put an expansion card there, somehow hooking it up. but it won't be able to connect to the PCI.

Altonymous

Distinguished
Jun 15, 2011

As you can see I am using all 4 horizontal ports for the two video cards. The vertical port is free but I need a way to connect whatever I put there to the motherboard. Since the video cards blocks the expansion slots on the motherboard the point is moot if I can't find a way to extend the onboard sound.

btw, your comment says nothing's impossible. ;-P

cd5b441e36ab11e180c9123138016265_7.jpg

You can always you a PCIe Raiser....
PCIX-1A_pic1_big.jpg

They're available in flexible varieties too.... all you need to do is connect one end in the Blocked PCIe Slot which you wanted to use and the other Side has the same Slot into which you can put your addon card. Your case has a vertical expansion slot next to the left hand side cover, backside, you can then adjust it with it's screw into that slot.

http://www.xcase.co.uk/Riser-cards-s/77.htm
Riser-SLPS057-2.jpg

It can't touch the SLOT ..... they don't make such tight fits or we wouldn't be needing screws to hold them to the chassis or support for longer cards....
The flexible ones are less than 1mm thick.... so there is no question if they'll fit or not, there just as thin as a paper will easily fit and not break.....

Oh Thanks..... errrrrrr, were there any other people who answered the question??? lol
You're not required to mark an answer as best if it didn't teach you anything or help you out... so thanks and even if you can't make it work, I'd say, it's not that it couldn't be done, but, you couldn't do it. Cos we have all (mostly) used raisers one time or the other..... and they always worked in the tightest of places....