Sign in with
Your question

I5 2500k sandy bridge good or bad

Last response: in Systems
January 31, 2011 7:58:20 PM

Theres a article just out about the i5-2500k so if its not good what do i use in its place?
January 31, 2011 8:17:07 PM

The i5-2500K is very good, it's the chipsets for the i5-2500K that are bad, therefore the motherboards with the chipset that are bad. Don't get confused, the CPUs are not defective, the chipsets are.

Word is that in mid to late March we will see motherboards shipping with the replacement chipsets, so if you can wait until late March to buy the motherboard then you should stick with the i5-2500K. Otherwise the i5-760 is a good option, or you could go with a Phenom II X4 965 if you want to save some money.
m
l
a b B Homebuilt system
January 31, 2011 8:32:24 PM

The issue only affects the 3GB/S Controller, so if you don't need more than 2 SATA drives, I wouldn't worry about it. Otherwise, a ton of MB manufacturers are already including extra SATA 3 connectors not based on the chipset, so you could look at those too. Better yet, wait for the z68 Chipset, which won't be affected by the issue at all, and have a chance to see if bulldozer is worth considering.
m
l
Related resources
January 31, 2011 9:37:31 PM

etk said:
The issue only affects the 3GB/S Controller, so if you don't need more than 2 SATA drives, I wouldn't worry about it. Otherwise, a ton of MB manufacturers are already including extra SATA 3 connectors not based on the chipset, so you could look at those too. Better yet, wait for the z68 Chipset, which won't be affected by the issue at all, and have a chance to see if bulldozer is worth considering.

Im sorry but I dont know what that means you see I really dont understand all of this all I wanted was for me and my 13 year old son to build a badass gaming computer together . You know the bonding thing lol really hes a very bright kid and I want the best for him. I was not sure if we could even do it but there is some good info on building here so we was going to try it . Its just I dont know what to put in it so Im trying to get help so thanks .
m
l
January 31, 2011 9:57:34 PM

Basically it means that 4 out of the 6 hard drive ports could fail on P67 motherboards because the Intel chipset has a faulty hard drive controller. In particular the ports labeled as SATA 2 running at 3.0 Gigabytes per seconds are affected, the SATA 3 ports which run at 6GB/s aren't affected. Some motherboards feature additional SATA 3 hard drive controllers that are made by third party manufacturers and these controllers don't suffer from the issues.

Everything else is functional and the Sandy Bridge CPUs are defect free. If you really want a Sandy Bridge CPU based system you could either wait until motherboards are released with chipsets that have the fix applied, or you could go ahead and buy a motherboard with the defective chipset and just not use the four hard drive connectors that are potentially faulty.

If you want a system right away and don't want to mess with a i5-2500K because of the issues then the core i5-760 with a P55 motherboard like a mentioned earlier is the best option for a higher-end machine.
m
l
January 31, 2011 10:27:38 PM

Depending on what the timeframe of your build is, it will be completely worth it to wait for a month or two and build a Sandy Bridge machine with the i5 2500k. It's an exceptional processor with unparalleled performance in many scenarios, such as media encoding and gaming.
m
l
January 31, 2011 10:37:56 PM

ok thats what I was needing thanks so much
m
l
!