Towed old data contact?

Ok, here is the situation;

I'm birds, flying a Skyfire, scanners on full. A Crystal Ruby was
damaged in combat with my Privateer friend. Hull damage at 25 last
turn. I then set orders to tow the ship to deep space with the intent
of boarding the following turn(had to beam my troops of the planet).
So, host runs, My ship is in Deep space, there is no log of a failed or
successful tow. The Ruby is marked as old data. The interesting thing
is, the ship is at the same point as my Skyfire, and old data is 0
turns. So is the ship really there?

Your thoughts
Greg Bahr

Eric

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007

Strange indeed. I have also seen things like this happen in games I've
played. My guess is that the old data from zero turns ago means you lost
contact with the object sometime duting the movement phase but had contact
with it during part of it. It doesn't make sense though that you'd lose
contact with an object you are towing. There certainly should be a log that
you towed it or didn't though. I'm with you... perplexed.

Eric

"Greg Bahr" <greg.bahr@gmail.com> wrote in message
> Ok, here is the situation;
>
> I'm birds, flying a Skyfire, scanners on full. A Crystal Ruby was
> damaged in combat with my Privateer friend. Hull damage at 25 last
> turn. I then set orders to tow the ship to deep space with the intent
> of boarding the following turn(had to beam my troops of the planet).
> So, host runs, My ship is in Deep space, there is no log of a failed or
> successful tow. The Ruby is marked as old data. The interesting thing
> is, the ship is at the same point as my Skyfire, and old data is 0
> turns. So is the ship really there?
>
> Your thoughts
> Greg Bahr

nameless

Distinguished
Jun 18, 2002

Greg Bahr wrote:
> Ok, here is the situation;
>
> I'm birds, flying a Skyfire, scanners on full. A Crystal Ruby was
> damaged in combat with my Privateer friend. Hull damage at 25 last
> turn. I then set orders to tow the ship to deep space with the
intent
> of boarding the following turn(had to beam my troops of the planet).
> So, host runs, My ship is in Deep space, there is no log of a failed
or
> successful tow. The Ruby is marked as old data. The interesting
thing
> is, the ship is at the same point as my Skyfire, and old data is 0
> turns. So is the ship really there?
>
> Your thoughts
> Greg Bahr

What probably happened is that someone else (the priv?) did tow the
ship somewhere else (and you lost sensor contact to that ship).
As it is I would not be surprised if your Skyfire just assumed that it
is towing the ruby (while only having sensor contact to the ship at the
beginning of the turn) and therefore has placed the 0 turn old data at
exactly the same position as your Skyfire is, eventhough the ruby is
somewhere else.

As for one thing only the first ship which tries to tow is awarded a
log message, regardless of who will end upp towing that ship.

> What probably happened is that someone else (the priv?) did tow the
> ship somewhere else (and you lost sensor contact to that ship).

Not true... as the Pirate I can verify that. P-/

You have probably towed that ship... sometimes carp like this happens.
Next turn you will probably scan it and see it where it is. I was
wondering what happened, if you had shot it and blown it up or
something, but it sounds like you just got REALLY unlucky on your
chance to scan the ship. Truly annoying as now you'll have to wait
another turn to board it. I'd just sit right there and turn on full
scanners, attack off. My money is that it will appear next round.