Gigabyte Z68 and Corsair RAM?

Shavako

Distinguished
Dec 8, 2011
Ok so I'm looking to buy the Gigabyte GA-Z68X-UD3H-B3 mobo and I was wondering if Corsair Vengeance 4GB 1600 DIMMs would work well with it. I checked their site and they list some Corsair RAM in their compatibility list but none of it at that speed is 4GB modules, just 2GB. Anyone using both of these together or anyone think they will work together?

Mobo
RAM

Solution
DRAM compatibility lists are a load of bunk. There are only a handful of memory manufacturers in the world (mostly Micron and Samsung) and all the companies such as OCZ, Corsair and Patriot simply throw these chips on PCBs. Accordingly, almost all RAM will be compatible with all motherboards so long as they have matching specifications.

I use Corsair Vengeance RAM (4x4GiB 1600MT/s 9-9-9-24 at stock voltage) in my P67 and it works fine
DRAM compatibility lists are a load of bunk. There are only a handful of memory manufacturers in the world (mostly Micron and Samsung) and all the companies such as OCZ, Corsair and Patriot simply throw these chips on PCBs. Accordingly, almost all RAM will be compatible with all motherboards so long as they have matching specifications.

I use Corsair Vengeance RAM (4x4GiB 1600MT/s 9-9-9-24 at stock voltage) in my P67 and it works fine

Solution
The QVL is not a complete list , it is a list of the memory module that the board manufacturer was able to test with the board. They do not test all of the ram sets and sizes and cominations so it doesn't mean that only those ram parts that are on the QVL are the pnly ones you can use. I always use ram that is not on the list and it always works.

XMSYellowbeard

Distinguished
Nov 2, 2006
Just as a clarification, I can't speak for the other companies listed above but, Corsair does NOT simply "throw these chips on PCBs". We do a great deal of internal compatibility testing, Additionally, we are the single largest contributor to the Intel XMP compatibility listing which is a result of the amount of testing we do. So no, our list is not a load of bunk and yes, the listed kit will work well with the listed Z68 MOBO.

praxos

Honorable
Mar 29, 2012

I have an Asus P8Z68-V LX mobo, I5 2500k cpu new build, Im getting a few (so far 3) random bsod's , from what Ive read in forums this may well be due to incompatible ram my Ram is Corsair Vengeance 1600 mhz 2x4gb CMZ8GX3M2A1600C9B. Ive memtested without an error showing, also updated all the drivers from Windows and Asus including the latest bios revision. I did however have an initial problem where the system would not boot at all with both banks of ram in, when I took out the 2nd bank it booted without a hitch, but the bios showed it as 1333 mhz, after installing windows and all drivers/utilities, I ran the Asus AI programme suite, TurboV evo to speed the system up, rebooted then checked the bios, it now showed the ram as 1600mhz, switched off installed 2nd bank ram and then restarted the pc this time it started up fine. The bsods are Stop 0x124 and error 124. with memory dump.

drathuu

Honorable
Jun 11, 2012

I also have same issue with some corsair ram on my Gigabte z77-d3h board,... it only boots at 1300 mhz and if i force it to 1600 system crashes..

i am getting BSODs and NTFS file corruptions.. swapped the ram back out with my GSKILL 2x4gb and its stable as again. reason i am dagnosing is my GF new pc i built her was doing this, and i swapped the ram to check with mine.. Hers is now stable mine istnt after 2 years of being fine.. Putting it down to incompatible ram with gigabyte boards...