Sign in with
Your question

Sandy Bridge Mobo already ordered

Last response: in Systems
January 31, 2011 9:23:15 PM

So, I ordered my ASUS P67 Sabertooth TUF Mobo last friday, it arrives tomorrow. I also have an ANTEC 1200 V3 on its way. I was about to order the remaining pieces to my build today, but to my surprise....

http://www.pcworld.com/article/218247/intel_finds_desig...

:fou:  :fou:  :fou: 

So my question is this.. Should I be patient and wait for Intel to correct the chipset issue? Asus has not announced any recalls as of yet, so I am stuck with this faulty board until they remedy the situation.

I was going to just suck it up and order the remaining pieces for my build along with a RAID controller to bypass the faulty SATA II ports, (ports 2-5.) But as I checked my newegg wish list, I discover that intel has also recalled all of its CPU's and Newegg is not offereing them. So now I cannot even build with the RAID controller workaround.

Here was my intended build:

ANTEC 1200 V3

Intel i5 2500k Sandy Bridge
Asus P67 Sabertooth TUF
EVGA Ge-Force 460 1GB (x 2) SLI
G Skill Ripjaw 16GB DDR3
SAMSUNG Spinpoint F3 1 TB (x 4) Raid 1+0

To add to this, my 680i Mobo went tits up a week ago, and now I am stuck with no PC. I am going crazy..

Can anyone offer any suggestions as to a possible course of action?

I would rather not go LGA 1366, and obviously want to avoid LGA 1156 as it is supposed to be replaced by LGA 1155.

Do I go AMD??? If so, what would be a build that is competitive performance wise as well as within the cost of my build above?

February 1, 2011 12:15:52 AM

If you want to go AMD just to avoid going with LGA1156 because LGA1156 is being replaced you'll find yourself in a bad situation when Bulldozer comes out in just a few more months and you'll be stuck with an outdated platform. The pertinent thing to do, like Taner said, is to wait this out and see where the chips (no pun intended) fall.
!