PC randomly shutting down during games?

metroidmen

Distinguished
Dec 18, 2010
While playing games, not while doing anything other than that, my computer will shut down and I will have to turn it back on. I dont think its an overheating issue as I purchased a new VERY powerful fan, its cooled my computer almost 20 degrees. When runing games for a while, the hottest my gpu gets is 57 and my cpu gets maybe 50 at most. Another fan is on the way too. My friend said it may be a faulty power supply so Id like input before I replace it.

Specs:
ASUS M4A88T-M/USB3 Motherboard
AMD Phenom II X4 945 @ 3.0GHz
4GB OCZ DDR3 1066 RAM
Zotac 460GTX 1 gb
Diablotek 1050W power supply - http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/searchtools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=5592470&RSort=4&csid=ITD&body=REVIEWS#ReviewStart
Windows 7 Ultimate 64-Bit

Any ideas or tips? Thanks guys!

TheTygur

Distinguished
Jan 30, 2011
I have been having that problem and from my experience and also advice that people have given me, it seems to come from a faulty power supply most of the time. I believe that your brand is a budget brand and the power rating it says should be taken for a grain of salt. You probably need to invest in a name brand power supply like Antec or Corsair.

metroidmen

Distinguished
Dec 18, 2010
Well, I was told by a couple people people that this is a good budget brand, so i guess i can try to replace it then if the problem persists, order another. What would you recommend?

TheTygur

Distinguished
Jan 30, 2011
Well first be sure thats what it is, would be nice to have a second opinion as I haven't built a PC in at least a few years. I am planning a new build in the next couple weeks that would probably have about the same power consumption as yours (Phenom II x4 970, 470GTX Super Overclock) or possibly a little more, and I singled out the Antec Earthwatts 750 which had a good price drop at newegg at the moment.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817371026

And just fyi, the reviews on your current power supply are... less than stellar to say the least. I can't guarantee that is your problem but it does sound extremely likely. Might in a rare case be a bad RAM chip, but my experience with that is it doesnt generally shut down, it blue screens. And it would probably do it at some point outside of gaming.