Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question

Quietest 2.5" hard drive?

Last response: in Laptops & Notebooks
Share
Anonymous
a b D Laptop
March 12, 2005 2:15:55 AM

Archived from groups: comp.sys.laptops (More info?)

Hi,

I am looking for a new hard drive to breathe a few more years of life
into my 3 year old vaio. It's great to see how cheap 2.5" drives have
become and 80 Gb hits the sweet spot for me on the price/capacity
scale. Other than size however, noise is pretty important for me, but
google has turned up no decent data on this so far. Does the group have
any recommendations/advice based on experience with the variety of
currently available 2.5" hard drives?

Thanks

Mark

More about : quietest hard drive

Anonymous
a b D Laptop
March 12, 2005 11:43:19 AM

Archived from groups: comp.sys.laptops (More info?)

>Hi,
>
>I am looking for a new hard drive to breathe a few more years of life
>into my 3 year old vaio. It's great to see how cheap 2.5" drives have
>become and 80 Gb hits the sweet spot for me on the price/capacity
>scale. Other than size however, noise is pretty important for me, but
>google has turned up no decent data on this so far. Does the group have
>any recommendations/advice based on experience with the variety of
>currently available 2.5" hard drives?
>
>Thanks
>
>Mark

Then you're looking for a Seagate:
http://www.newegg.com/app/ViewProductDesc.asp?descripti...
Anonymous
a b D Laptop
March 12, 2005 1:47:12 PM

Archived from groups: comp.sys.laptops (More info?)

While Seagate invented the HD, IBM (Hitachi) invented the FDB (Fluid
Dynamic Bearings) which made drives quiet. And Tohiba is been in the
2.5" drive business the longest.

U don't google (open search) for this kind of information. U pick the
exact models you are interested of each brand, then go the
manufacturers' website for the exact specifications. Ur looking for
Acoustic characteristics AND power consumption.

Then, you go to Google's newsgroups (aka usenet, dejanews.com) and
search past postings of those exact models and see what people have
said of them.

Nothing to it. Scientific approach to purchasing <g>
Related resources
Anonymous
a b D Laptop
March 12, 2005 4:55:09 PM

Archived from groups: comp.sys.laptops (More info?)

AndrewJ wrote:
>
>>Hi,
>>
>>I am looking for a new hard drive to breathe a few more years of life
>>into my 3 year old vaio. It's great to see how cheap 2.5" drives have
>>become and 80 Gb hits the sweet spot for me on the price/capacity
>>scale. Other than size however, noise is pretty important for me, but
>>google has turned up no decent data on this so far. Does the group have
>>any recommendations/advice based on experience with the variety of
>>currently available 2.5" hard drives?
>>
>>Thanks
>>
>>Mark
>
>
> Then you're looking for a Seagate:
> http://www.newegg.com/app/ViewProductDesc.asp?descripti...
But how far do you trust Seagate compared to a Travelstar, a Hitachi or
a Toshiba?

--
John Doue
Anonymous
a b D Laptop
March 12, 2005 4:55:10 PM

Archived from groups: comp.sys.laptops (More info?)

>> http://www.newegg.com/app/ViewProductDesc.asp?descripti...
>But how far do you trust Seagate compared to a Travelstar, a Hitachi or
>a Toshiba?
>
>--
>John Doue

Seagate invented the drive as we know it. They are the only company
offering a 5 year warranty out of the box. The ones I've gotten have
been perfect.
Anonymous
a b D Laptop
March 12, 2005 4:55:10 PM

Archived from groups: comp.sys.laptops (More info?)

John Doue wrote:

> AndrewJ wrote:
>>
>>>Hi,
>>>
>>>I am looking for a new hard drive to breathe a few more years of life
>>>into my 3 year old vaio. It's great to see how cheap 2.5" drives have
>>>become and 80 Gb hits the sweet spot for me on the price/capacity
>>>scale. Other than size however, noise is pretty important for me, but
>>>google has turned up no decent data on this so far. Does the group have
>>>any recommendations/advice based on experience with the variety of
>>>currently available 2.5" hard drives?
>>>
>>>Thanks
>>>
>>>Mark
>>
>>
>> Then you're looking for a Seagate:
>>
http://www.newegg.com/app/ViewProductDesc.asp?descripti...
> But how far do you trust Seagate compared to a Travelstar, a Hitachi or
> a Toshiba?

A Travelstar _is_ a Hitachi. As for "trusting", all manufacturers produce
the occasional bad design and all produce the occasional lemon, but I don't
think that there's any evidence that any particular manufacturer's current
production laptop drives have any unusual reliability problems.

Why would one not "trust Seagate" anyway?

--
--John
to email, dial "usenet" and validate
(was jclarke at eye bee em dot net)
Anonymous
a b D Laptop
March 12, 2005 4:55:11 PM

Archived from groups: comp.sys.laptops (More info?)

Just for fun.

Seagate popularized the consumer HD.

IBM actually invented the magneric recording technology on rigid
platters starting from those huge (and heavy) 8 inch drive packs. (go
to a high-tech museum to see these).
March 13, 2005 7:48:23 AM

Archived from groups: comp.sys.laptops (More info?)

I just put 80 gb Fujitsu in my R40, can't hear it at all. I had to
replace a 40 gb IBM Travelstar after mistakenly listening to advice
on this newsgroup, it was noisiest drive I ever had and was very
distracting.

My Vaio came with a Toshiba drive, could not hear that one even
outside the computer.



On 11 Mar 2005 23:15:55 -0800, mark.andrew@gmail.com wrote:

>Hi,
>
>I am looking for a new hard drive to breathe a few more years of life
>into my 3 year old vaio. It's great to see how cheap 2.5" drives have
>become and 80 Gb hits the sweet spot for me on the price/capacity
>scale. Other than size however, noise is pretty important for me, but
>google has turned up no decent data on this so far. Does the group have
>any recommendations/advice based on experience with the variety of
>currently available 2.5" hard drives?
>
>Thanks
>
>Mark
Anonymous
a b D Laptop
March 13, 2005 11:36:08 AM

Archived from groups: comp.sys.laptops (More info?)

J. Clarke wrote:

> John Doue wrote:
>
>
>>AndrewJ wrote:
>>
>>>>Hi,
>>>>
>>>>I am looking for a new hard drive to breathe a few more years of life
>>>>into my 3 year old vaio. It's great to see how cheap 2.5" drives have
>>>>become and 80 Gb hits the sweet spot for me on the price/capacity
>>>>scale. Other than size however, noise is pretty important for me, but
>>>>google has turned up no decent data on this so far. Does the group have
>>>>any recommendations/advice based on experience with the variety of
>>>>currently available 2.5" hard drives?
>>>>
>>>>Thanks
>>>>
>>>>Mark
>>>
>>>
>>>Then you're looking for a Seagate:
>>>
>
> http://www.newegg.com/app/ViewProductDesc.asp?descripti...
>
>>But how far do you trust Seagate compared to a Travelstar, a Hitachi or
>>a Toshiba?
>
>
> A Travelstar _is_ a Hitachi. As for "trusting", all manufacturers produce
> the occasional bad design and all produce the occasional lemon, but I don't
> think that there's any evidence that any particular manufacturer's current
> production laptop drives have any unusual reliability problems.
>
> Why would one not "trust Seagate" anyway?
>
I am not sure but I am under the impression that Seagate 3.5" drives did
not use to be the best in terms of reliability; just an impression,
that's why I am asking. And unless I am mistaken (could be again),
Seagate seems to be a relatively new player in the 2.5 disks (I visit
zipzoomfly fairly frequently for such drives and I believe they appeared
there only a few months ago).

Are there many of you here who installed Seagate drives in laptops, and
what do you have to say?

--
John Doue
Anonymous
a b D Laptop
March 13, 2005 12:18:19 PM

Archived from groups: comp.sys.laptops (More info?)

John Doue wrote:

> J. Clarke wrote:
>
>> John Doue wrote:
>>
>>
>>>AndrewJ wrote:
>>>
>>>>>Hi,
>>>>>
>>>>>I am looking for a new hard drive to breathe a few more years of life
>>>>>into my 3 year old vaio. It's great to see how cheap 2.5" drives have
>>>>>become and 80 Gb hits the sweet spot for me on the price/capacity
>>>>>scale. Other than size however, noise is pretty important for me, but
>>>>>google has turned up no decent data on this so far. Does the group have
>>>>>any recommendations/advice based on experience with the variety of
>>>>>currently available 2.5" hard drives?
>>>>>
>>>>>Thanks
>>>>>
>>>>>Mark
>>>>
>>>>
>>>>Then you're looking for a Seagate:
>>>>
>>
>>
http://www.newegg.com/app/ViewProductDesc.asp?descripti...
>>
>>>But how far do you trust Seagate compared to a Travelstar, a Hitachi or
>>>a Toshiba?
>>
>>
>> A Travelstar _is_ a Hitachi. As for "trusting", all manufacturers
>> produce the occasional bad design and all produce the occasional lemon,
>> but I don't think that there's any evidence that any particular
>> manufacturer's current production laptop drives have any unusual
>> reliability problems.
>>
>> Why would one not "trust Seagate" anyway?
>>
> I am not sure but I am under the impression that Seagate 3.5" drives did
> not use to be the best in terms of reliability; just an impression,
> that's why I am asking.

Seagate made a few lemons. But open up a server in just about any large
shop and you'll find it full of 3-1/2" Seagates. Haven't heard of any
recent problems with Seagate drives except for a minor difference of
interpretation of the SATA spec between Seagate and the manufacturer of the
bridge chip that the other SATA manufacturers use (Seagate was the first to
market with native SATA)--that only affected Linux as far as I know and has
been corrected in the latest drivers.

> And unless I am mistaken (could be again),
> Seagate seems to be a relatively new player in the 2.5 disks (I visit
> zipzoomfly fairly frequently for such drives and I believe they appeared
> there only a few months ago).

I don't know how long Seagate has been making 2.5 inch disks, however the
Momentus 42 manual is dated 4/11/03 and they've been through two
generations of drive since then. Further, they are the _only_ manufacturer
with a 10,000 RPM 2.5" drive--it's SCSI though and aimed at the enterprise
market, specifically at high-density servers--zipzoomfly doesn't show
_those_ either. Try Froogle.

> Are there many of you here who installed Seagate drives in laptops, and
> what do you have to say?

Personally I wouldn't hesitate to install one if I needed a new drive.

--
--John
to email, dial "usenet" and validate
(was jclarke at eye bee em dot net)
Anonymous
a b D Laptop
March 13, 2005 1:07:10 PM

Archived from groups: comp.sys.laptops (More info?)

On Sun, 13 Mar 2005 09:18:19 -0500, "J. Clarke"
<jclarke.usenet@snet.net.invalid> wrote:

>the _only_ manufacturer
>with a 10,000 RPM 2.5" drive--it's SCSI though and aimed at the enterprise
>market, specifically at high-density servers--zipzoomfly doesn't show
>_those_ either. Try Froogle.



So they make good fast and furious drives, how does that translate
into a quiet drive for notebook that the OP wants? Your argument is
all over the map.

I can't say a seagate 2.5 is not quiet since I don't own one, but I
would want to hear from an owner who has this AND had other brands
recently (can't compared current generation to say 3 years ago).
Anonymous
a b D Laptop
March 13, 2005 1:17:01 PM

Archived from groups: comp.sys.laptops (More info?)

On Sun, 13 Mar 2005 04:48:23 -0800, Jim <wdxp@cox.net> wrote:

>I just put 80 gb Fujitsu in my R40, can't hear it at all. I had to
>replace a 40 gb IBM Travelstar after mistakenly listening to advice
>on this newsgroup, it was noisiest drive I ever had and was very
>distracting.


I have owned 3 Travelstars and now a Toshiba.

The Travelstars were slightly noisier to me, but people who had
BOTHERED to download the IBM utility to tweak the acoustic management
said it made a world of difference. I did not use this utility 'cuz by
that time I had outgrown my IBMs and needed more room from the Toshiba
and it happened to be on sales.

I am very surprised only me mentioned FDB. The rest of you just
basically gave your favorite brand and that was that.
Anonymous
a b D Laptop
March 13, 2005 2:17:21 PM

Archived from groups: comp.sys.laptops (More info?)

Thanks for all your input guys.

With 7 manufacturers, differing rpms and cache sizes to consider, this
certainly is not such a straightforward deal. In fact the appliance of
bobb's scientific purchasing tips turned it into a weekend filling
occupation.

FYI I have plumped for the Fujitsu MHT2080AT, on the basis of a few
noise related anecdotes I found in the (german) groups. Turns out to
be the cheapest too at 99 Euros.

Tune in next week to see whether the story ends happily or if I end up
with a whining, clicking nuisance, wishing I had bought seagate
instead :-)

Mark
Anonymous
a b D Laptop
March 13, 2005 4:50:19 PM

Archived from groups: comp.sys.laptops (More info?)

bobb wrote:

> On Sun, 13 Mar 2005 09:18:19 -0500, "J. Clarke"
> <jclarke.usenet@snet.net.invalid> wrote:
>
>>the _only_ manufacturer
>>with a 10,000 RPM 2.5" drive--it's SCSI though and aimed at the enterprise
>>market, specifically at high-density servers--zipzoomfly doesn't show
>>_those_ either. Try Froogle.
>
>
>
> So they make good fast and furious drives, how does that translate
> into a quiet drive for notebook that the OP wants? Your argument is
> all over the map.

I was addressing the reliability question, not the silence question.

> I can't say a seagate 2.5 is not quiet since I don't own one, but I
> would want to hear from an owner who has this AND had other brands
> recently (can't compared current generation to say 3 years ago).

At one point desktop Seagates were the quietest drives in the industry. I
have a couple of them and they are inaudible--the first time I powered one
up I thought it was broken. The only way to tell that it's running is to
hold a hand on it and one can feel the seeks. Their current laptop drives
are rated for approximately the same noise level.

But buy whatever brand you want to--they're all good.

--
--John
to email, dial "usenet" and validate
(was jclarke at eye bee em dot net)
Anonymous
a b D Laptop
March 13, 2005 4:51:06 PM

Archived from groups: comp.sys.laptops (More info?)

bobb wrote:

> On Sun, 13 Mar 2005 04:48:23 -0800, Jim <wdxp@cox.net> wrote:
>
>>I just put 80 gb Fujitsu in my R40, can't hear it at all. I had to
>>replace a 40 gb IBM Travelstar after mistakenly listening to advice
>>on this newsgroup, it was noisiest drive I ever had and was very
>>distracting.
>
>
> I have owned 3 Travelstars and now a Toshiba.
>
> The Travelstars were slightly noisier to me, but people who had
> BOTHERED to download the IBM utility to tweak the acoustic management
> said it made a world of difference. I did not use this utility 'cuz by
> that time I had outgrown my IBMs and needed more room from the Toshiba
> and it happened to be on sales.
>
> I am very surprised only me mentioned FDB. The rest of you just
> basically gave your favorite brand and that was that.

So where does one buy a new production laptop drive today which does _NOT_
have FDB?

--
--John
to email, dial "usenet" and validate
(was jclarke at eye bee em dot net)
Anonymous
a b D Laptop
March 13, 2005 6:01:48 PM

Archived from groups: comp.sys.laptops (More info?)

bobb wrote:
> On Sun, 13 Mar 2005 09:18:19 -0500, "J. Clarke"
> <jclarke.usenet@snet.net.invalid> wrote:
>
>> the _only_ manufacturer
>> with a 10,000 RPM 2.5" drive--it's SCSI though and aimed at the
>> enterprise market, specifically at high-density servers--zipzoomfly
>> doesn't show _those_ either. Try Froogle.
>
>
>
> So they make good fast and furious drives, how does that translate
> into a quiet drive for notebook that the OP wants? Your argument is
> all over the map.
>
> I can't say a seagate 2.5 is not quiet since I don't own one, but I
> would want to hear from an owner who has this AND had other brands
> recently (can't compared current generation to say 3 years ago).

There is quite a bit of disparity with drive noise depending on the
laptop - I presume because of different physical locations in different
laptops. As just one example, I've got the Hitachi 60G 7200 rpm drive
that is completely silent. Others have written that their installation
is noisy. Seagate is too new; I've never seen anyone post about the
Seagate drive(s) in the forums I frequent, but I've not done a Google
Groups search either. Newegg has user comments on some of the drives
they sell, FWIW.

Q
Anonymous
a b D Laptop
March 13, 2005 8:46:22 PM

Archived from groups: comp.sys.laptops (More info?)

Quaoar wrote:

> bobb wrote:
>> On Sun, 13 Mar 2005 09:18:19 -0500, "J. Clarke"
>> <jclarke.usenet@snet.net.invalid> wrote:
>>
>>> the _only_ manufacturer
>>> with a 10,000 RPM 2.5" drive--it's SCSI though and aimed at the
>>> enterprise market, specifically at high-density servers--zipzoomfly
>>> doesn't show _those_ either. Try Froogle.
>>
>>
>>
>> So they make good fast and furious drives, how does that translate
>> into a quiet drive for notebook that the OP wants? Your argument is
>> all over the map.
>>
>> I can't say a seagate 2.5 is not quiet since I don't own one, but I
>> would want to hear from an owner who has this AND had other brands
>> recently (can't compared current generation to say 3 years ago).
>
> There is quite a bit of disparity with drive noise depending on the
> laptop - I presume because of different physical locations in different
> laptops. As just one example, I've got the Hitachi 60G 7200 rpm drive
> that is completely silent. Others have written that their installation
> is noisy. Seagate is too new; I've never seen anyone post about the
> Seagate drive(s) in the forums I frequent, but I've not done a Google
> Groups search either. Newegg has user comments on some of the drives
> they sell, FWIW.

Mounting can make a large difference. I have a machine that makes a
horrendous noise if _any_ drive is in the lowest bay in the stack, but move
that same drive to the next one up and it quiets right down--seems that
there's a 7200 RPM resonance at that location with a single drive in the
stack. Filling the stack also resolved the problem.

> Q

--
--John
to email, dial "usenet" and validate
(was jclarke at eye bee em dot net)
Anonymous
a b D Laptop
March 13, 2005 10:04:41 PM

Archived from groups: comp.sys.laptops (More info?)

bobb wrote:

> On Sun, 13 Mar 2005 04:48:23 -0800, Jim <wdxp@cox.net> wrote:
>
>
>>I just put 80 gb Fujitsu in my R40, can't hear it at all. I had to
>>replace a 40 gb IBM Travelstar after mistakenly listening to advice
>>on this newsgroup, it was noisiest drive I ever had and was very
>>distracting.
>
>
>
> I have owned 3 Travelstars and now a Toshiba.
>
> The Travelstars were slightly noisier to me, but people who had
> BOTHERED to download the IBM utility to tweak the acoustic management
> said it made a world of difference. I did not use this utility 'cuz by
> that time I had outgrown my IBMs and needed more room from the Toshiba
> and it happened to be on sales.
>
> I am very surprised only me mentioned FDB. The rest of you just
> basically gave your favorite brand and that was that.

Bobb, it must be Sunday: what do you mean with FDB? What IBM utility are
you referring to, where can one find it? Never heard (sorry, no pun) of it.

--
John Doue
Anonymous
a b D Laptop
March 13, 2005 10:04:42 PM

Archived from groups: comp.sys.laptops (More info?)

John Doue wrote:
>
> bobb wrote:
>
> > On Sun, 13 Mar 2005 04:48:23 -0800, Jim <wdxp@cox.net> wrote:
> >
> >
> >>I just put 80 gb Fujitsu in my R40, can't hear it at all. I had to
> >>replace a 40 gb IBM Travelstar after mistakenly listening to advice
> >>on this newsgroup, it was noisiest drive I ever had and was very
> >>distracting.
> >
> >
> >
> > I have owned 3 Travelstars and now a Toshiba.
> >
> > The Travelstars were slightly noisier to me, but people who had
> > BOTHERED to download the IBM utility to tweak the acoustic management
> > said it made a world of difference. I did not use this utility 'cuz by
> > that time I had outgrown my IBMs and needed more room from the Toshiba
> > and it happened to be on sales.
> >
> > I am very surprised only me mentioned FDB. The rest of you just
> > basically gave your favorite brand and that was that.
>
> Bobb, it must be Sunday: what do you mean with FDB? What IBM utility are
> you referring to, where can one find it? Never heard (sorry, no pun) of it.

FDB = Fluid Dynamic Bearing

Google "Fluid Dynamic Bearing" for more info.

Notan
Anonymous
a b D Laptop
March 13, 2005 10:40:22 PM

Archived from groups: comp.sys.laptops (More info?)

"John Doue" <notwobe@yahoo.com> wrote in message
news:D 90Zd.382$0k1.229@read3.inet.fi...
|
| Bobb, it must be Sunday: what do you mean with FDB? What IBM utility are
| you referring to, where can one find it? Never heard (sorry, no pun) of
it.
|

Hi John -

Being that IBM has sold their hard disk technologies some time ago to
Hitachi... best place to search for utilities is Hitachi's hard disk
support/downloads page:

http://www.hitachigst.com/hdd/support/download.htm

The utility you're looking for is the "Feature Tool" (scroll down the above
page). This is a non-Windows application (the download creates its own boot
diskette).

The Feature Tool allows you to:
.. Enable or disable the read-ahead or write cache.

.. Change the drive Automatic Acoustic Management settings to the:
.... Lowest acoustic emanation setting (Quiet Seek Mode), or
.... Maximum performance level (Normal Seek Mode).

.. Change the predefined capacity of the drive. This option can be used in
situations where there is a BIOS limitation and the drive is not recognized.
See the Users Guide for specific details.

.. Switch the Ultra DMA mode

.. Change Advanced Power Mode - allows you to change between the lowest power
consumption and the highest power consumption (maximum performance level).

.. Show Drive Temperature - shows the current drive temperature in Celsius
and Fahrenheit.

.. Configure SATA interface - adjust maximum speed and enable/disable Spread
Spectrum Clocking.

Jef

| --
| John Doue
Anonymous
a b D Laptop
March 14, 2005 6:06:03 PM

Archived from groups: comp.sys.laptops (More info?)

JefN wrote:

> "John Doue" <notwobe@yahoo.com> wrote in message
> news:D 90Zd.382$0k1.229@read3.inet.fi...
> |
> | Bobb, it must be Sunday: what do you mean with FDB? What IBM utility are
> | you referring to, where can one find it? Never heard (sorry, no pun) of
> it.
> |
>
> Hi John -
>
> Being that IBM has sold their hard disk technologies some time ago to
> Hitachi... best place to search for utilities is Hitachi's hard disk
> support/downloads page:
>
> http://www.hitachigst.com/hdd/support/download.htm
>
> The utility you're looking for is the "Feature Tool" (scroll down the above
> page). This is a non-Windows application (the download creates its own boot
> diskette).
>
> The Feature Tool allows you to:
> . Enable or disable the read-ahead or write cache.
>
> . Change the drive Automatic Acoustic Management settings to the:
> ... Lowest acoustic emanation setting (Quiet Seek Mode), or
> ... Maximum performance level (Normal Seek Mode).
>
> . Change the predefined capacity of the drive. This option can be used in
> situations where there is a BIOS limitation and the drive is not recognized.
> See the Users Guide for specific details.
>
> . Switch the Ultra DMA mode
>
> . Change Advanced Power Mode - allows you to change between the lowest power
> consumption and the highest power consumption (maximum performance level).
>
> . Show Drive Temperature - shows the current drive temperature in Celsius
> and Fahrenheit.
>
> . Configure SATA interface - adjust maximum speed and enable/disable Spread
> Spectrum Clocking.
>
> Jef
>
> | --
> | John Doue
>
>
Jef,

Thanks for the very interesting info. Have you personally use some of
these features? Any risk?

Regards

--
John Doue
Anonymous
a b D Laptop
March 14, 2005 6:14:16 PM

Archived from groups: comp.sys.laptops (More info?)

John Doue wrote:
|
| Jef,
|
| Thanks for the very interesting info. Have you personally use some of
| these features? Any risk?
|
| Regards
|

Hi John -

I haven't used the utility on current disks. I enabled the quiet seek mode
on an older disk some time ago and, while it only minimally decreased the
noise from the drive (which really wasn't that noisy to begin with), I did
not notice any discernable decrease in performance, which others have
written in the past. I did not perform any benchmarking, so my reports are
only my perception.

The program appears to be well written, though I did not put it through all
it's paces. I was also using an earlier release. The Hitachi 7K60 drive in
my current notebook is quiet enough for my purposes, so I have no reason to
be "tweaking" it.

Jef

| --
| John Doue
Anonymous
a b D Laptop
March 14, 2005 7:47:19 PM

Archived from groups: comp.sys.laptops (More info?)

If you want absolute quietest and don't care about price, any 2.5" flash
drive replacement (eg. those sold by SanDisk). $$$, but you'll have 0
noise because there's no moving parts (and lower battery
consumption,increased shock resistance, and lower power consumption, too).

You can get a cheap 800MB+ drive off www.ebay.com for <$100 to test and see.
Anonymous
a b D Laptop
March 14, 2005 8:36:12 PM

Archived from groups: comp.sys.laptops (More info?)

JefN wrote:

> John Doue wrote:
> |
> | Jef,
> |
> | Thanks for the very interesting info. Have you personally use some of
> | these features? Any risk?
> |
> | Regards
> |
>
> Hi John -
>
> I haven't used the utility on current disks. I enabled the quiet seek mode
> on an older disk some time ago and, while it only minimally decreased the
> noise from the drive (which really wasn't that noisy to begin with), I did
> not notice any discernable decrease in performance, which others have
> written in the past. I did not perform any benchmarking, so my reports are
> only my perception.
>
> The program appears to be well written, though I did not put it through all
> it's paces. I was also using an earlier release. The Hitachi 7K60 drive in
> my current notebook is quiet enough for my purposes, so I have no reason to
> be "tweaking" it.
>
> Jef
>
> | --
> | John Doue
>
>
Thanks Jef, I'll wait until I run into a noisy drive gets me irritated
to experiment ...

--
John Doue
Anonymous
a b D Laptop
March 14, 2005 11:42:41 PM

Archived from groups: comp.sys.laptops (More info?)

"John Doue" <notwobe@yahoo.com> wrote:
> > http://www.hitachigst.com/hdd/support/download.htm
> >
> > The utility you're looking for is the "Feature Tool" (scroll down
> > the above page). This is a non-Windows application (the download
> > creates its own boot diskette).
> >
> > The Feature Tool allows you to:
> > . Enable or disable the read-ahead or write cache.
> >
> > . Change the drive Automatic Acoustic Management settings to the:
> > ... Lowest acoustic emanation setting (Quiet Seek Mode), or
> > ... Maximum performance level (Normal Seek Mode).
> >
> > . Change the predefined capacity of the drive. This option can be
> > used in situations where there is a BIOS limitation and the drive
> > is not recognized. See the Users Guide for specific details.
> >
> > . Switch the Ultra DMA mode
> >
> > . Change Advanced Power Mode - allows you to change between
> > the lowest power consumption and the highest power
> > consumption (maximum performance level).
> >
> > . Show Drive Temperature - shows the current drive temperature
> > in Celsius and Fahrenheit.
> >
> > . Configure SATA interface - adjust maximum speed and
> > enable/disable Spread Spectrum Clocking.

> Jef,
>
> Thanks for the very interesting info. Have you personally use
> some of these features? Any risk?

John,

Over on Dell's Community Forums, the Feature Tool's Acoustic Management
function is what people are using to solve an annoying ticking sound coming
from their new laptops' hard drives. (See the numerous discussions on the
Inspiron forums, for example).

I haven't had a noisy drive, but I have used the tool to change the
predefined capacity of the drive. In case you're not aware, IBM Thinkpads
now come with their hidden restore partition so thoroughly hidden that even
tools like PartitionMagic can't see it. What happens is the restore
partition (aka, "HPA") is created and then the Thinkpad bios changes the
predefined capacity of the drive to exclude the HPA. That's okay if the
drive stays with the Thinkpad, but if you pull the drive to reuse in another
laptop, you need the Feature Tool to unlock that area and reclaim the disk's
full capacity for your own use.
Anonymous
a b D Laptop
March 14, 2005 11:42:42 PM

Archived from groups: comp.sys.laptops (More info?)

>Over on Dell's Community Forums, the Feature Tool's Acoustic Management
>function is what people are using to solve an annoying ticking sound coming
>from their new laptops' hard drives. ..................................... snip

Ok, someone should have pointed out by now that all sound deadening
tools kill the drive performance dead.
Anonymous
a b D Laptop
March 15, 2005 12:14:15 PM

Archived from groups: comp.sys.laptops (More info?)

dg1261 wrote:
> "John Doue" <notwobe@yahoo.com> wrote:
>
>>>http://www.hitachigst.com/hdd/support/download.htm
>>>
>>>The utility you're looking for is the "Feature Tool" (scroll down
>>>the above page). This is a non-Windows application (the download
>>>creates its own boot diskette).
>>>
>>>The Feature Tool allows you to:
>>>. Enable or disable the read-ahead or write cache.
>>>
>>>. Change the drive Automatic Acoustic Management settings to the:
>>>... Lowest acoustic emanation setting (Quiet Seek Mode), or
>>>... Maximum performance level (Normal Seek Mode).
>>>
>>>. Change the predefined capacity of the drive. This option can be
>>>used in situations where there is a BIOS limitation and the drive
>>>is not recognized. See the Users Guide for specific details.
>>>
>>>. Switch the Ultra DMA mode
>>>
>>>. Change Advanced Power Mode - allows you to change between
>>>the lowest power consumption and the highest power
>>>consumption (maximum performance level).
>>>
>>>. Show Drive Temperature - shows the current drive temperature
>>>in Celsius and Fahrenheit.
>>>
>>>. Configure SATA interface - adjust maximum speed and
>>>enable/disable Spread Spectrum Clocking.
>
>
>>Jef,
>>
>>Thanks for the very interesting info. Have you personally use
>>some of these features? Any risk?
>
>
> John,
>
> Over on Dell's Community Forums, the Feature Tool's Acoustic Management
> function is what people are using to solve an annoying ticking sound coming
> from their new laptops' hard drives. (See the numerous discussions on the
> Inspiron forums, for example).
>
> I haven't had a noisy drive, but I have used the tool to change the
> predefined capacity of the drive. In case you're not aware, IBM Thinkpads
> now come with their hidden restore partition so thoroughly hidden that even
> tools like PartitionMagic can't see it. What happens is the restore
> partition (aka, "HPA") is created and then the Thinkpad bios changes the
> predefined capacity of the drive to exclude the HPA. That's okay if the
> drive stays with the Thinkpad, but if you pull the drive to reuse in another
> laptop, you need the Feature Tool to unlock that area and reclaim the disk's
> full capacity for your own use.
>
>
This is most interesting, but it comes as a surprise to me. When I
bought my R51 a few month ago, one of the first things I did was
removing this restore partition after backing it up on CDs, just in
case. Partition Magic had no problem removing the restore partition
after I disabled the option in Bios. I would never have imagined this
could be possible. Since I am not going to fiddle with this utility
unless I have too (appears to be dangerous if you do not know for sure
what you are doing), can you elaborate on how you determine the "correct
" capacity of the drive in such a case? A few screen shots at my private
address would be mighty appreciated, in case you have some available.

Best regards

--
John Doue
Anonymous
a b D Laptop
March 16, 2005 6:45:16 AM

Archived from groups: comp.sys.laptops (More info?)

"John Doue" <notwobe@yahoo.com> wrote:
> dg1261 wrote:
> > I haven't had a noisy drive, but I have used the tool to change
> > the predefined capacity of the drive. In case you're not aware,
> > IBM Thinkpads now come with their hidden restore partition
> > so thoroughly hidden that even tools like PartitionMagic
> > can't see it. What happens is the restore partition (aka, "HPA")
> > is created and then the Thinkpad bios changes the predefined
> > capacity of the drive to exclude the HPA. That's okay if the
> > drive stays with the Thinkpad, but if you pull the drive to
> > reuse in another laptop, you need the Feature Tool to unlock
> > that area and reclaim the disk's full capacity for your own use.
>
> This is most interesting, but it comes as a surprise to me.
> When I bought my R51 a few month ago, one of the first things
> I did was removing this restore partition after backing it up
> on CDs, just in case. Partition Magic had no problem removing
> the restore partition after I disabled the option in Bios. I would
> never have imagined this could be possible. Since I am not
> going to fiddle with this utility unless I have too (appears to
> be dangerous if you do not know for sure what you are doing),
> can you elaborate on how you determine the "correct" capacity
> of the drive in such a case? A few screen shots at my private
> address would be mighty appreciated, in case you have some
> available.

The key phrase is "after I disabled the option in Bios". The IBM bios uses
the same function as Feature Tool's change-predefined-capacity function
(except you don't pick the size, the bios determines that itself). Set the
bios option to disabled and it changes the predefined capacity to show the
full amount, exposing the HPA to the world and PartitionMagic. Set the bios
option to normal and it changes the predefined capacity to less, screening
the HPA from the outside world. If you take the drive out of the Thinkpad,
you no longer have access to the Thinkpad's bios functions. And if you had
forgotten to disable HPA security before doing so, you wouldn't have access
to the full drive capacity. That's when you need Feature Tool--to unlock
the HPA area when you don't have an IBM bios to do it.

Feature Tool runs from its own boot floppy, so it takes work to grab screen
shots, but you can download the tool yourself from the Hitachi site and it
includes a nice pdf file with explanations and lots of screen shots.
Anonymous
a b D Laptop
March 22, 2005 7:23:31 PM

Archived from groups: comp.sys.laptops (More info?)

Apparently I'm particularly sensitive to the high pitched "whine" of
many current hard drives. I've recently returned a Toshiba MK8026 GAX,
two Fujitsu MHT2080 AHPL drives, and a Seagate ST9100823A. The
read/access clicks were fine, but the drives emit a constant high
frequency, low volume whine that absolutely drives me crazy.

I've been putting these drives in a new (though recently discontinued)
Dell Inspiron 8600. Is there anything possible in the design of this
machine that could be causing the problem? It is still within the
21-day satisfaction guarantee where I can return it for any reason.
The whine is definitely from the hard drives; the laptop is completely
silent when I remove the drive. I guess I'm asking whether the laptop
can be causing the drive to emit a high pitched drone.

Incidentally, I've been a long-time laptop user, and love my old HP
Pavillion, with a virtually silent 20 gig hard drive (so I'm not
completely neurotic)... Unfortunately, I haven't investigated what
brand that drive is) But it's 2-3 years old, so I was guessing it's a
4200 RPM drive. It is just the new 5400 RPM drives that are causing me
the problem? If I try a 7200 RPM drive, will the whine be at a higher
frequency that perhaps may not bug me so much? I do seem to notice
the "hum" of certain florescent lights that many people seem to ignore,
so perhaps I'm just too damn sensitive? But at any rate, I am
certainly seeking a quiet hard drive. Any other ideas? I'm not sure
the original poster ever received an answer to his question.
Anonymous
a b D Laptop
March 23, 2005 1:00:14 AM

Archived from groups: comp.sys.laptops (More info?)

mcvincent wrote:

> Apparently I'm particularly sensitive to the high pitched "whine" of
> many current hard drives. I've recently returned a Toshiba MK8026 GAX,
> two Fujitsu MHT2080 AHPL drives, and a Seagate ST9100823A. The
> read/access clicks were fine, but the drives emit a constant high
> frequency, low volume whine that absolutely drives me crazy.
>
> I've been putting these drives in a new (though recently discontinued)
> Dell Inspiron 8600. Is there anything possible in the design of this
> machine that could be causing the problem? It is still within the
> 21-day satisfaction guarantee where I can return it for any reason.
> The whine is definitely from the hard drives; the laptop is completely
> silent when I remove the drive. I guess I'm asking whether the laptop
> can be causing the drive to emit a high pitched drone.
>
> Incidentally, I've been a long-time laptop user, and love my old HP
> Pavillion, with a virtually silent 20 gig hard drive (so I'm not
> completely neurotic)... Unfortunately, I haven't investigated what
> brand that drive is) But it's 2-3 years old, so I was guessing it's a
> 4200 RPM drive. It is just the new 5400 RPM drives that are causing me
> the problem? If I try a 7200 RPM drive, will the whine be at a higher
> frequency that perhaps may not bug me so much? I do seem to notice
> the "hum" of certain florescent lights that many people seem to ignore,
> so perhaps I'm just too damn sensitive? But at any rate, I am
> certainly seeking a quiet hard drive. Any other ideas? I'm not sure
> the original poster ever received an answer to his question.

It's possible that the drives you're trying are hitting a resonance in your
case. If so, then 4200 or 7200 RPM drives would be quieter.

--
--John
to email, dial "usenet" and validate
(was jclarke at eye bee em dot net)
Anonymous
a b D Laptop
March 28, 2005 6:23:56 PM

Archived from groups: comp.sys.laptops (More info?)

I purchased a Western Digital Scorpio, 80 Gig 5400 RPM drive,
WD800VEDTL. I love it. Althought I can barely hear the same frequency
of sound, apparently from the rotation of the drive, my guess is it's
only around a third to one quarter as loud as the drives I returned.
The loud drives were: Toshiba MK8026 GAX,
two Fujitsu MHT2080 AHPL drives, and a Seagate ST9100823A.

It cost me $190 to replace the hard drive that came stock in my Dell,
but for anyone sensitive to the "whine" of hard drives, it may be worth
it. By the way, I'm keeping the original drive, and will do an image
backup to it after I finally get everything on my system organized.

Since my computer was within the "21 day satisfaction guarantee", Dell
was willing to buy back my drive, but only at $45, so for that price it
was worth keeping the whiner as an emergency backup of my complete
system. (I have an external hard drive that will allow me to
eventually transfer everything to this drive)
Anonymous
a b D Laptop
March 29, 2005 5:09:04 AM

Archived from groups: comp.sys.laptops (More info?)

Well, the ending (with the Fujitsu) has certainly been happy so far.

No whining, no clicking, just a very discrete "whoosh" if you put your
ear right up against it.

Mark
!