I7 930 Temperature Dilemmas

kd0frg

Distinguished
Apr 16, 2010
Alright this is a bit of a long story

So far ive tried 3 different coolers to cool my CPU. Among many other things, like bios settings/bios updates, different programs.. etc

It is not overclocked at all in this picture, and its been running Prime95 for 20 minutes, Hyper threading is turned off because it gets too hot otherwise.

idle temp is around 54-57c with this current cooler, load is about 68c or higher depending on ambient (it was 69F in the room when this screen shot was taken)

My first cpu cooler, was a Arctic Freezer 7 pro.. it was a horrible cooler for my cpu, well up into 90c if any overclocking took place.

My next cpu cooler was a scythe mugen 2 rev b.. a big dog.. temps with that are about what they are in the screen shot, i also re mounted it 3 times, and tried 2 different thermal pastes (diamond IC7/Arctic silver 5) .. ive tried the Rice method of paste application, ive tried the pea size, ive tried the credit card full cover.. no dice.. temps are insane.. I use Rubbing alchohol to clean the cpu surface each time, and have never touched it with my fingers. Or the bottom of any of my CPU coolers.

My case is a NZXT Gamma, with five 120mm fans in it all blowing at full speed, with any chassis or q-fan control turned OFF in the bios so every thing spins at max rpm. Including cpu cooler fan.. etc

Now ive installed my 3rd cooler, a Corsair h50 hydro cooler (i figured heck, maybe water will fix this) .. nope, the Screen shot you see is with the corsair installed, using Shin Etsu thermal paste. And these are stock settings, only i've lowered the Vcore to 1.10 myself because if i leave it to auto itll jump to 1.23-1.28 and get up to around 73-77c.

So what do you think the problem is? Bad CPU? Bad Motherboard? Bad internal thermal sensor and these readings are just bogus?

Im just ready to give up on ever overclocking to 4ghz or even 3.36 with HT on.. i can hit 3.36ghz with 1.10 vcore but the temps are just too nuts.

Ive tried using an industrial fan to blow air into the case to rule out case air flow but it made no difference i could see to get me anything near acceptable, besides i shouldnt have to do that anyway right? :(

Well any and all help is appreciated, if more info is needed i can answer any and all questions
SS Below:
I0VEv.jpg

kd0frg

Distinguished
Apr 16, 2010

Ok sorry about that, i think i fixed the screen shot now

I was using CPU-Z and CoreTemp, i'll try OCCT

jednx01

Distinguished
Mar 31, 2008
Just to give you a basis for comparison, I'm using a core i7 930 @ 4.0 ghz. Idle temps are about 39-42 and load temps can go up to 75C. I'm running at 1.256V. I'm using a prolimatech megahalems heatsink tuniq tx2 cooling compound...

kd0frg

Distinguished
Apr 16, 2010

Wow nice overclock man, im not sure i can hit 4ghz with that voltage, do you got hyper threading on or off??

well i decided to take the corsair h50 out and clean up the scythe mugen 2 cooler real nice like, make sure every thing was mounted correctly (nothing upside down..etc) and decided i would take out the cpu, clean it up nice, and actually put it back in the socket.

I did this, and used a pea sized drop of Arctic silver 5, and actually found a new easier technique by watching youtube videos to mount the scythe mugen 2, i did this and now my temps are excellent! that was like the 4th time mounting the thing and i guess this time around a 4th is the charm, i now get 38-39c idle and 58-61c full load at stock with HT on.. Yay!

jednx01

Distinguished
Mar 31, 2008
That's awesome! Glad you were able to fix your problem :)

To answer your question, I have hyperthreading turned on... I might be able to get the overclock to go higher, but after I got to 4.0 with it running completely stable, I looked at the temps, voltages, and the performance that I was getting and decided to call it a day.

Core i7 930 is the best cpu I've ever had... Love this thing so much. :)