Got everything for a i7/P67 build, now what? Need advice

Sev1009

Distinguished
Jan 30, 2011
So I got everything for my first build, a i7/p67 rig. Now that there has been this recall I'm not sure what to do. The CPU and mobo are still in the original packaging so I guess I'll return them. What are my options now for CPUs and mobos? X58? I'm not too familiar with chipsets and mobos. I'm not sure I want to wait another several months to get a new chipset unless there is a real compelling reason. I feel like every few months there is a new latest, greatest chip or whatever part. I want something that will let me run current and future games at maxed settings. I may want to do some oveeclocking too, but am just learning about that. So what should I look at for CPU, mobo and ram right now?

I guess it is the question of the day! If it was me then I would be inclined to assemble the rig and hope I could claim replacement after the issue is fixed. Then again I just recommended another person here on the forum to return his board since he had not bought the CPU yet.

suntower

Distinguished
May 16, 2009

I'm in the same boat. I just started assembly this AM when I got the news. Newegg has offered an RMA, but frankly, what are the alternatives? I'm just not clear on the -risks- involved.

It is the SATA3gb (what most people are using) that gets affected according to all articles I have seen. According to those articles they are expecting 5% failure rate in three years. It is not a terrible risk. I personally would though hate to pay restocking fees but would consider returning if retailer waves the fees.

Sev1009

Distinguished
Jan 30, 2011
The two issues for me are:

1. I don't want to have to pull the machine apart at some point in the future. This my first time building a computer so I'm nervous about building and disassembling a computer. Maybe it's not that hard, I dunno

2. What the heck do I get instead? X58, AMD phenom 2, i7 950?

HeyImGodly

Distinguished
Oct 13, 2010
Keep your parts you're fine.
register the mobo and cpu and when march/april comes around they'll swap you out free.
as rolli said its a small amount of affected parts and its a while away from now.