Got everything for a i7/P67 build, now what? Need advice

So I got everything for my first build, a i7/p67 rig. Now that there has been this recall I'm not sure what to do. The CPU and mobo are still in the original packaging so I guess I'll return them. What are my options now for CPUs and mobos? X58? I'm not too familiar with chipsets and mobos. I'm not sure I want to wait another several months to get a new chipset unless there is a real compelling reason. I feel like every few months there is a new latest, greatest chip or whatever part. I want something that will let me run current and future games at maxed settings. I may want to do some oveeclocking too, but am just learning about that. So what should I look at for CPU, mobo and ram right now?
6 answers Last reply
More about build what advice
  1. I guess it is the question of the day! If it was me then I would be inclined to assemble the rig and hope I could claim replacement after the issue is fixed. Then again I just recommended another person here on the forum to return his board since he had not bought the CPU yet.
  2. Sev1009 said:
    So I got everything for my first build, a i7/p67 rig. Now that there has been this recall I'm not sure what to do. The CPU and mobo are still in the original packaging so I guess I'll return them. What are my options now for CPUs and mobos? X58? I'm not too familiar with chipsets and mobos. I'm not sure I want to wait another several months to get a new chipset unless there is a real compelling reason. I feel like every few months there is a new latest, greatest chip or whatever part. I want something that will let me run current and future games at maxed settings. I may want to do some oveeclocking too, but am just learning about that. So what should I look at for CPU, mobo and ram right now?

I'm in the same boat. I just started assembly this AM when I got the news. Newegg has offered an RMA, but frankly, what are the alternatives? I'm just not clear on the -risks- involved.
  3. It is the SATA3gb (what most people are using) that gets affected according to all articles I have seen. According to those articles they are expecting 5% failure rate in three years. It is not a terrible risk. I personally would though hate to pay restocking fees but would consider returning if retailer waves the fees.
  4. The two issues for me are:

1. I don't want to have to pull the machine apart at some point in the future. This my first time building a computer so I'm nervous about building and disassembling a computer. Maybe it's not that hard, I dunno

2. What the heck do I get instead? X58, AMD phenom 2, i7 950?
  5. I5 760 and LGA1156 motherboard? Was the sweat spot for gaming before the Sandy Bridge release.
  6. Keep your parts you're fine.
    register the mobo and cpu and when march/april comes around they'll swap you out free.
    as rolli said its a small amount of affected parts and its a while away from now.
Ask a new question

Read More

Build Intel i7 CPUs Systems