How to share files ?

y2k

Distinguished
Jun 22, 2010
I am using a Prolink ADSL2+ router (4 port ethernet switch) to share my internet connection between other three computers ......
Now !
I want to share files between them,, OR say Play LAN games over it..
How can i do it ?

Help Early!

jdog2pt0

Distinguished
May 28, 2009
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/304040

For setting up for sharing files across a network.

For LAN gaming, I'm not 100% sure but I think by default the computers will see each other in the game and should be good to go. If you haven't, try doing that, and they can't see each other lemme know and lemme know what game your trying to play.

y2k

Distinguished
Jun 22, 2010
Thanks! @JDog2pt0 & @k3y3n1n

This will makes things more easy for me

Firstly, I was confused with switch,a router & a hub. I knew minimally that you need a ethernet hub to do local networking, That meant i thought a Router was solely to divide internet connection between PCs (like a one way communication! no inter-communication)
So Networking seemed not possible......

Thanks esp for the links.....

Another thing that I was consistently missing was the WORKGROUP...
I was keeping Workgroup name same as the PC name For each PCs! Imagine that!

I will give it a try ! and get to you soon!

k3y3n1n

Distinguished
May 20, 2010

Ya you wanna try to keep the pc's under the same network mshome workgroup and any name will do..

The differance between a hub, switch, and router is that a hub will broadcast packets to evey device connected to it.

A switch is similar to a hub just it knows what pc to sends the packet to (aka smart hub)

A router actually routes packets between networks. Your home router is really a router and a switch put toghter aka layer 3 switch which can do external routing and internal networking.. So for example if you want to look up information on google your home router will route packets to Google server grabs the info and then paclet will be sent back your home router. Then router will send it to the correct pc just like a switch

y2k

Distinguished
Jun 22, 2010
Hello!
I havent been able to configure my network as My XP has crashed due to other reasons and i've been trying hard to recover it.
Get to you soon if I am able to
Otherwise You guys are there to help me! Right!

y2k

Distinguished
Jun 22, 2010

Sorry for the delay

It works! thanks.....

But I am having to use Ubuntu 10.04 & networking is through Samba server..

Anyways it works...

This solves my question...& how do i close this thread & give credit to you ( it increases your points right!) Thanks