Sign in with
Your question
Closed

Upgrading cpu Need Help!!

Last response: in CPUs
April 30, 2011 8:00:33 AM

Ok so ive decided to upgrade my cpu im going from a amd athlon 5000 x2 to an amd phenom II x4 840

Now my question is i have this foxconn a76ml-k mobo it supports up to amd phenom II x4 820 cpu i was wondering if it would support the 840?

I emailed foxconn about it but am waiting for reply wanted to know if anyone else had experince in this on here, thanks for any help in advance!

More about : upgrading cpu

a b à CPUs
April 30, 2011 8:04:29 AM

No it cant support the 840.Sorry
Score
April 30, 2011 8:12:11 AM

how is that?
Score
Related resources
a b à CPUs
April 30, 2011 8:27:25 AM

the bios must support the 840 first.But it seems like it doesnt.
Score
a b à CPUs
April 30, 2011 8:48:00 AM

Nope he right it seems it wont support it, i suppose you could take a risk and try it, as it seems only a bios related issue.
Score
a b à CPUs
April 30, 2011 1:45:27 PM

Here is the list of supported CPUs. Looks like your limited to 95watt chips. So, if your using a 95watt chip do NOT OC it or you likely to fry your voltage regulators on this motherboard.....

http://www.foxconnsupport.com/cpusupportlist.aspx?type=...

Just look thru the list and pick a supported CPU. It is all to often the case that the latest CPUs are Not supported immediately by the BIOS on motherboards, even newer model motherboards. There's always some lag time. So, either pick a currently supported or wait for a BIOS upgrade....

Score
April 30, 2011 8:49:14 PM

yea see that sucks because i just orderd the 840 what it will be here monday and i suppose cpu's aint returnable so im in a pickle here, umm... what would happen if i put it in? any way the bios will say its maybe an amd phenom II x4 820 but 3.2ghz or? will cpuz recognize it? windows recognize it? idk kinda lost here, i could get a new mobo but unfortanatly i do not have my windows 7 disk, and i heard when upgrading mobo's you need to reinstall windows7
Score
a b à CPUs
May 1, 2011 1:02:18 PM

If you don't open the box, I don't see why any vendor wouldn't take back the CPU........... I think returning it would be your best bet.

As I posted, even guys ordering new motherboards have had issues with the 840 not being supported. Their situation was, the board Would support it BUT, the version of BIOS version on the new MB they received was older, so, system would not boot... So, I believe ya just need to stay away from 840s for awhile.

Hard to predict what would happen if you install the 840, might boot, might not..... (the problem with the 840 is it's Not an Athlon II and it's Not a full Phenom II so the MB's generally don't know what to do with it...)

Go with the a Rana (435), Propus (620), or Callisto (550) core from the supported list. Trouble is, those older model CPUs are hard to find (at least not on NewEgg) If you got an Athlon II X4 Propus 640 since it is the Identical architecture as the supported 620, I'd say your chances would be pretty good the system would boot up just fine

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168... (I'd go with this quad core, much faster in practice than the dual core Callisto's... (I have both))

Same should hold true for getting a Callisto 555, 560 or 565 (instead of the supported 550)
Rana 450, or 455 (instead of the supported 435)

You will generally have to reload the operating system when you change motherboards. If you don't have the disk, you can borrow a copy of Win 7 from anyone. What you will need is the valid license key to use when your reload the OS on your new system. BUT, if your changing MB, you really need to move up to a AMD 955 for higher....
Score
May 2, 2011 8:16:52 PM

ok guys so here it is, i got the cpu i installed it and it seems to be fine the bios recognizes the cpu as 3.2 ghz doesnt say anything else, windows recognizes it as amd phenom IIx4 840 boots up fine, everything seems stable so far so.... should i be concerned or no?
Score

Best solution

a b à CPUs
May 4, 2011 2:41:20 AM

If it boots and runs at all your 95% of the way there, you lucky, it might be a good day to buy a lottery ticket before the luck wears off ..... :) 

For the last 5% download and install CPU-Z. Launch the program and check out the specs for :
the cache, and the size of the cache; should be "L2 4x512KB"

and, instruction set: "MMX, SSE, SSE2, SSE3, SSE4a"

IF you don't see these your likely not going to get the full speed out of your CPU, BUT, it's running. So, just keep an eye out for a BIOS upgrade to recognize and fully support any missing features.

If they are shown, your 100%......

May 5, 2011 5:48:06 AM

yep 512kbX4 is there, cpuz recognizes it as amd phenom II x4 840 and instruction set is mmx(+) 3Dnow!(+) SSE (1,2,3,4A) X86-64, AMD-V

looks good, stable so far, cpu temp is cool idle at around 13 celcius and playing crysis 2 it get up to 41 celcius as high as i seen it so far
Score
a b à CPUs
May 5, 2011 11:37:14 AM

Sounds like your 100%

(I've seen quite a few posts by folks with AMD 840s that couldn't even boot...)

NOTE: I would Not recommend any OC'ing with that motherboard. Usually when they specify a "95watt" limit, they really mean it as it parts in the voltage regulation circuitry will fry when pushed. And OC'ing will Quickly cause your CPU to draw Way more than that 95watts....

Sounds like you can close out this thread... (just select a best answer to do so...)

Score
May 7, 2011 7:39:22 AM

alright will do thanks for the help, and i wont OC trust me, im sattisfied with the way it is game run excellent now
Score
May 7, 2011 7:39:55 AM

Best answer selected by jay_ford1985.
Score
a b à CPUs
May 7, 2011 8:47:00 AM

This topic has been closed by Maziar
Score
!