Can we install xp on core i 3 prossessor

These days Core i3 computers come with Win 7 preloaded. What do you now have on the computer?

Are you talking about Win XP-Mode? If so, the answer is 'Yes' if you have Win 7 Professional or Win 7 Ultimate (not on Win 7 Home Premium).

you can but you will have to delete the primary partition and create a new xp 1, do this from the xp boot disk. after that just quick format if your sure your disk is stable and run the xp installer.
make sure you have all the relevant xp drivers for your motherboard, gfx, audio and lan as xp doesnt auto configure like win7 does. b4 you start the install. on a dongle or disk.

if you cant find the xp drivers on your manufacturers site it means they dont support xp for that model so it will be pointless downgrading.

runswindows95

Distinguished
The biggest question I have is why? I really don't see the point of downgrading to XP anymore.

Also, the other issue you will come across with XP is with the SATA hard drive. Unless the BIOS allows you to switch the SATA mode to IDE, you will have to find the SATA driver and install it before you can install XP. If not, XP will just blue screen.

I've gotten past the point of asking why. My school's IT department just recently purchased a few dozen Lenovo ThinkPad T420's only to downgrade them to Win XP. They are also planning on upgrading the entire campus to Win 7 this summer. Huge wasted effort, IMO.

That's what schools do best!

runswindows95

Distinguished
I agree, lost. Only reason I'm still running XP is because I can't afford a copy of Windows 7. Then again, when I do go to 7 is when I either buy a new laptop or build a new desktop. Both systems are three years old, and I feel it's pointless to install the newest OS on older hardware.

When you are ready for Win 7 (Win 8 will be in 2012) consider the pros and cons of OEM Vs Retail. The OEM is not transferable from one computer to another, and carries no support. This also applies to changing the motherboard within the same computer.

jednx01

Distinguished
Mar 31, 2008

Actually, I'm not sure it does apply to when you change the motherboard. I upgraded from a core 2 quad system with a nforce 780i to a core i7 system with a asus p6x58d premium motherboard and had no trouble at all transferring my OEM version of windows vista... (I've upgraded my windows vista to windows 7 now, but that's beside the point)...

runswindows95

Distinguished
Either way, I'm not worried about Windows 7 till I update my hardware. I'm very aware about OEM versus Retail. Just right now I would rather spend the $100 on some new hardware (My desktop has no SATA support, and laptop is pushing three years) than a legal copy of Windows 7 OEM. Plus, my point was I couldn't see the point of downgrading 7 to XP on a brand new system anymore.

TRENDING THREADS