Sign in with
Your question

Laptop from scratch, literally.

Last response: in Systems
February 1, 2011 2:36:36 AM

I'll try to follow format here, but I apologize ahead of time if this has been discussed recently.

I am looking to build a laptop from Desktop Components.
I plan to mill/machine the case out aluminum and possibly make a hybrid liquid and air cooling system.
So, at this level, I am going to need help finding components like screens, keyboards, speaker setups, etc.
This also includes the standard components too.

Problems I Have Thought About:

----Size
I need help with finding dimensions of components like system RAM, Video Cards, Hard Drives,
Disc Players/Writers (that doesn't sound right), radiators for liquid cooling, power supply.

----Connections
Motherboard to other components, i.e. monitor, keyboard, touchpad and speakers.
Battery to powersupply, Charger to battery and motherboard.

----Heat
This is going to be a crowded system, but hopefully I can find the best way to arrange such things to avoid this.
I might consider individual cooling systems to certain components or at least separate flows to these components.
i.e. Processor, GPU and System memory will have priority over components that may not need cooling such as
hard drives or disk readers.
I am wondering about how to direct airflow in an effective way unlike most laptops, unlike the current one I have.

----Where to Buy Components
I live in Arizona, and I can buy a decent amount of typical things from Fry's Electronics, but even they don't have everything.
I know of newegg.com, but it's just like an online Fry's Electronics.
-Finding:
Laptop Monitor
Keyboard
Powersupply (laptop size but able to power desktop components)

I am up for all questions on my suicidal motives.
I want to have a basic size model of by the end of this discussion so I can start drawing things out (by hand atm).
Let me know what you think. And if you made it this far :o  :ouch:  Thanks for reading. :hello: 

I am a Sophomore in CSE @ ASU.

Quote:
Approximate Purchase Date: (Finish by June 2011- July 2011)

Budget Range: (e.g.: 1000-2500) Before / After Rebates

System Usage from Most to Least Important: (Gaming, Writing Music with MIDI Controllers, Programming and Hardware simulators, )

Parts Not Required: (mouse, OS)

Preferred Website(s) for Parts: (newegg.com [the only I know atm] )

Country of Origin: (USA)

Parts Preferences: (No major preferences)

Overclocking: Maybe (no experience)

SLI or Crossfire: Maybe (depending on space and money)

Monitor Resolution: (1920x1080, 1920x1200)

Additional Comments: (I plan on building the case by myself. I need help finding literally all components)
a c 572 D Laptop
February 1, 2011 3:58:40 PM

This is a scary topic.
What do you plan to do for a video card?
a c 572 D Laptop
February 1, 2011 4:03:23 PM

In case you missed it......
Here is an example of a hybrid desktop/laptop: THG review: AMD's Mobility Radeon HD 6970 In CrossFire On Eurocom's Panther

If you're going for a desktop video in a laptop style case it's going to be about as big as mini-itx build SFF case, with the LCD screen added on.
The size constraints will revolve around the video card and the power supply it takes to run it.
Related resources
February 1, 2011 7:07:30 PM

Putting desktop parts in a laptop won't net you a laptop, it'll net you a lanbox.

Consumer stores do no sell laptop parts since they're custom made for OEM's. You could try taking parts out of existing laptops, but then, it's just a custom case.

Even then, you'll need to be very careful of shorts.

Desktop GPU/CPU will also need something the size of a car battery to power for about 5 minutes. Even car battery may not have enough amperage.

No PSU that can power full deskptop GPU + CPU is laptop sized. Closest is Clevo's custom brick for (actually it's larger an dheavier than a real brick) and it's still only 300W. Not enough for a desktop GPU, nevermind CPU+GPU.

Heating is also a major issue. You can look at some of the issue of your idea in anand clevo x7200 review.

Bear in mind that monster is still using mobile GPU's, not desktop ones.

http://www.anandtech.com/show/3970/avadirect-clevo-x720...
February 1, 2011 7:31:49 PM

Cept the only desktop part in those things is the CPU. Everything else is custom laptop =P
February 2, 2011 1:01:08 AM

banthracis said:
Putting desktop parts in a laptop won't net you a laptop, it'll net you a lanbox.

Consumer stores do no sell laptop parts since they're custom made for OEM's. You could try taking parts out of existing laptops, but then, it's just a custom case.

Even then, you'll need to be very careful of shorts.

Desktop GPU/CPU will also need something the size of a car battery to power for about 5 minutes. Even car battery may not have enough amperage.

No PSU that can power full deskptop GPU + CPU is laptop sized. Closest is Clevo's custom brick for (actually it's larger an dheavier than a real brick) and it's still only 300W. Not enough for a desktop GPU, nevermind CPU+GPU.

Heating is also a major issue. You can look at some of the issue of your idea in anand clevo x7200 review.

Bear in mind that monster is still using mobile GPU's, not desktop ones.

http://www.anandtech.com/show/3970/avadirect-clevo-x720...

Thanks for this article, I forgot about the power issue. This really kills some of my dreams, but I think I'll have to restructure my dream.

Now for a stupid question, are mobile laptop parts like GPU's compatible with regular motherboards?

I think I still want to keep the system memory, CPU and a good sound card* if I can.

*my current laptop has a high delay with playback of digital instruments like my keyboard usb/midi controller.
February 2, 2011 8:12:17 PM

Mobile GPu's are actually physically attached(as in welded) to the mobo in most cases. Very few removable designs, and those that exist are proprietary. So basically no, you need custom mobo's to use mobile GPU's.

We actually get a post like yours every few months. We end up ruining someone's dreams every time >.<
!