Sign in with
Your question

How long should a LCD monitor last?

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
December 3, 2010 2:37:45 AM

I purchased a 28 inch monitor from Hanns-G. After 18 months, it has died. I can send it back to be repaired for $100 plus shipping (probably a lot for a 25lb 28" monitor). Or I could purchase a new 27 inch monitor for $300. Is 18 months early for a LCD monitor to die? Or is that pretty standard? If Hanns-G monitors die after 18 months, am I going to save money buying another brand that will last longer? Also, is there a difference in life spans between a monitor and a HDTV? I am also considering buying a TV to use as a monitor.

Given the option of returning the monitor for repairs (probably about $150), a new 27" monitor ($300), or a HDTV (32" for around $350), is it worth investing $150 into a monitor that only lasted 18 months new? Or would a new $300 monitor end up saving me money in the long run? Or do TV's last so long that they are the best option?

More about : long lcd monitor

a c 189 U Graphics card
a b C Monitor
December 3, 2010 3:11:41 AM

Well, it depends on many things, maybe you're just a little bit unlucky that your monitor is died. My LG 17" is still running fine for almost 4 years...

In your case, $150 for repairs is too much if you ask me, so i think you'll better save your money and buy a new monitor, get a high quality monitor, before you buy you can read it's reviews...
m
l
a b U Graphics card
December 3, 2010 3:25:31 AM

According to Newegg Hanns G offers a 3 year warranty on both parts and labor on their monitors -- so if it is only 18 months old I'd contact them to see about finding a local repair center to do the warranty repair at their expense since it should still be covered by the warranty ! (so there shouldn't be a $100 charge for the repair and they should also cover the shipping cost for either replacement or repair !)

Quote:
Manufacturer Warranty : Beyond any applicable Newegg return policy, this item is warranted independently by the product's Manufacturer. Below is a summary provided for convenience only and may not be accurate or current. Read full details.

* Manufacturer Limited Warranty period (parts): 3 years
* Manufacturer Limited Warranty period (labor): 3 years

Manufacturer Contact Info

* Manufacturer Product Page|
* Support Phone: 1-888-842-6674
* Support Email: webservice_us@hannsg.com
m
l
Related resources
a b U Graphics card
a b C Monitor
December 3, 2010 1:00:42 PM

+5 ^
My expectations for LCD monitors/TVs is > 5 years.
I have a Very old 15 in Mag Monitor with built in tuner that is over ten years old and still in use. A 19 in viewsonic, approx 8 yrs old (currently as a spare). Two Dell (forget who really mad them - one 18' and one 20" Both are over 6 yrs old and the 20 in is used on a daily basis (gave to wife to replace the viesonic)
m
l
December 3, 2010 5:14:08 PM

Quote:
According to Newegg Hanns G offers a 3 year warranty on both parts and labor on their monitors

Hi JDFan, that is what I thought when I bought it. Unfortunately I didn't read the fine print. That warranty doesn't cover the panel, a fact not mentioned in the section you quoted.
m
l
a b U Graphics card
December 3, 2010 5:36:59 PM

aaronjpoe said:
Quote:
According to Newegg Hanns G offers a 3 year warranty on both parts and labor on their monitors

Hi JDFan, that is what I thought when I bought it. Unfortunately I didn't read the fine print. That warranty doesn't cover the panel, a fact not mentioned in the section you quoted.

Are you sure it is the panel that is broken and not another part that is the problem like the controller board or some other component ? (I'd still try to find a local repair shop that works on Hanns G products and have them check it to see if it is covered by warranty)
m
l
December 3, 2010 6:55:47 PM

Yes, I'm fairly certain that is a part of the problem. One of the issues I'm having is long streaks of dead pixels along the screen.
m
l
a c 140 U Graphics card
a b C Monitor
December 3, 2010 10:30:44 PM

If you're referring to this monitor I have the same one (also purchased 18 months ago (6/2009)) and still going strong. I did notice one stuck pixel about a week ago, but I tapped it out and haven't seen it since. Additionally, I purchased a Viewsonic 22" LCD back in 3/2007 that just recently died (about a month ago) and a Westinghouse 19" monitor that I purchase before the Viewsonic that's still going strong.

-Wolf sends
m
l
a c 358 U Graphics card
a c 195 C Monitor
December 4, 2010 2:17:01 AM

Well Hanns-G is kinda a bottom fish when it comes to quality.

Generally, it is difficult to determine how long a LCD panel will last. My 19" Planar PX191 from 2002 is still functioning properly. However, that was a premium monitor with a price to mach. I think I picked it on sale for $625.

I generally expect my monitors to last at least 5 years, but I generally purchase high quality premium monitors. The Asus VK246H is the only monitor I've ever bought for less than $600.
m
l
a c 172 U Graphics card
a b C Monitor
December 4, 2010 2:25:17 AM

It all depends on build quality and ventilation with in the unit. A unit with very poor ventilation will eventually fail before the user decides to upgrade or has the need or desire to replace it. Usually the failure takes place with the psu of the unit and the backlight inverter is less common but not rare either. The next to fail is the lcd it's self such as dead pixels to blotches and dead areas in the screen that make it unusable.

Plasma displays have gotten a bad rep due to the manufacturers cutting corners on design and production of their displays. The same applies to LCD displays as well. The smaller or the less power they use generally the chances of failure are less and if cooling is good as well they may last as long as CRTs do.

OLED, I can't wait as they are considered as a real upgrade for both LCD and CRT users. It isn't about resolution but image quality.
m
l
!