Both stick bad coincidence? or seroius problem?

stewde

Distinguished
Jan 4, 2012
Hello,
I had 2 stick of memory that I added to pc a few years ago well all of a sudden machine will not boot and smell burning and stick was extremely hot removed this one stick and machine booted fine ..now 3 days later same issue with other stick which is in a different slot from the original... didnt boot and when removed booted up fine . What is left in the machine is the original 2 sticks of denominator memory that came with tha machine.I have order more memory but would like to know is this all possible to just go bad what should I check. I dont want to fry the new memory . the memory i ha put in the machine did not have heat dispersers on them . my new memory does. what should i be conserned

Denominator? LOL

Yes it's possible, especially if your overclocking.

Memory has a lifetime warranty, I wouldn't worry about anything unless the new memory goes bad too.

I had a 4 stick kit of OCZ memory and 3 of them went bad, 2 of them went bad twice. I replaced it with Corsair memory, never had a problem after that.

You do want to make sure that you are adding the exact same memory and since the memory that you have in the Pc is old you might not be putting in the exact same memory if you are adding new memory. I would buy a complete set and take out the old memory and put in a new complete set , that way you are sure that the sticks are all the same. Memory is real cheap right now and depending on the size of the total memory amount it might only cost you $50 or less.
Can you list what size and model and brand of memory that you have.

stewde

Distinguished
Jan 4, 2012
Geek..
The original memory was denominator(whats so funny?) old? is still running fine the newest memory which went bad im guessing, is crucial that I put in....... stiil just wait and see with the new memory? Maybe tha Crucials I bought was overclocked memory idk I cannot remember New memory coming is Corsairs So still just wait and see game?

stewde

Distinguished
Jan 4, 2012
Inzone
I have 2 2g sticks of Corsair denominators(canme with machine) working just fine. pc-6400 and i had put in 2 2gigs of Crucial ddr2 pc2-6400 unbuffered (went bad one one day athe the othe 3 days later) been removed now

stewde

Distinguished
Jan 4, 2012

Inzone
I have 2 2g sticks of Corsair denominators(came with machine) working just fine. pc-6400 800 mhz..... and i had put in 2 2gigs of Crucial ddr2 pc2-6400 unbuffered (went bad one day 12/31 and the the other crapped out today 1/4 same senario machine wouldnt boot)) been removed now and remaing 2 working just fine
I have Asus striker extreme MB. the only thing that may be different regarding the 2 different memory sticks that were in the in machine is the latency.... idk if they were exactly

stewde

Distinguished
Jan 4, 2012

update new memory hanot arrived yet and pc is not booting every time i have to turn it on a few times for it to post and run there is 2g left in the machine
is this due to lack of memory?