Closed Solved

Adding up memory pc won't boot up

guys i have a problem!

i have ASUS PX58D Premium motherboard with i7 930 so i had before 3X2gb corsair mem
so i wanted to add exact same memory 3x2gb so i have 12GB all together memry like i said is exact the same. i didn't mix anything
so i removed new one and still won't start, cleared cmos by removing battery but still nothing

anybody???

thanks
31 answers Last reply Best Answer
More about adding memory boot
  1. Don't use XMP and set the RAM manually.

    Q - What EXACT Set(s) do you have? Provide link(s).

    Try booting with (1) stick at a time; yep a PITA but if you have a bad stick it's the easiest way to find booting X6 times.
  2. jaquith said:
    Don't use XMP and set the RAM manually.

    Q - What EXACT Set(s) do you have? Provide link(s).

    Try booting with (1) stick at a time; yep a PITA but if you have a bad stick it's the easiest way to find booting X6 times.



    i did with one stick at a time same crap ***
    btw i also added new sound card even removing that didn't help
  3. XMP ; Extreme Memory Profile (XMP) Intel's version of 'SPD' ; encoded data on the RAM's IC's for setting Frequency, CAS Timings, and DRAM Voltage.

    Note: There are (2) different Dominator sets with CAS 8; TR3X6G1600C8D and CMP6GX3M3A1600C8 and they don't mix well...

    DDR3-1600 8-8-8-24-2N @ 1.65v

    DIMM Slots
    CPU: | New | Old | New | Old | New | Old |

    BIOS:
    Ai Overclock Tuner -> Auto
    DRAM Frequency -> DDR3-1600MHz
    DRAM Timing Control -> /Manual
    DRAM CAS# Latency -> 9 ; 8 after stable
    DRAM RAS# to CAS# Delay -> 9 ; 8 after stable
    DRAM RAS# PRE Time -> 9 ; 8 after stable
    DRAM RAS# ACT Time -> 24
    -
    DRAM Timing Mode -> 2N
    -
    QPI/DRAM Core Voltage -> 1.25v
    DRAM Bus Voltage -> 1.64v

    Save & Exit

    First use DDR3-1600 9-9-9-24-2N @ 1.65v (Stable) then DDR3-1600 8-8-8-24-2N @ 1.65v.
  4. Best answer
    _orbital_ said:
    i did with one stick at a time same crap ***
    btw i also added new sound card even removing that didn't help

    Then IF ALL sticks = FAIL you have a bigger problem. Perhaps in pushing-in the DIMM slots something moved and became shorted.

    You can try Lazyman's Breadboard -
    * Disconnect ALL Front Panel & USB Headers ; keep only the PWR & Ground <best> short w/wire.
    * Disconnect ALL peripherals including the Keyboard/Mouse
    * (1) Stick of RAM in the second DIMM slot from CPU
    * Unscrew both the MOBO and PCIe screws

    Pull the MOBO away from anything conductive and supported by a towel ; short PWR & Ground to start.
  5. BTW - if using (1) stick then only use the SECOND DIMM slot:

    CPU: | blank | RAM | blank | blank | blank | blank |
  6. well the problem is that everything starts up i mean all the vents and lights are on but nothing going on on screen and i know it stops somewhere
  7. Can you boot into the BIOS? ; noted the nothing on screen...

    You're stuck on breadbaording as I listed above.
  8. nope that's the problem.. everything starts but screen is black
  9. oh man
  10. Trust me if the breadboard works you'll be happy :)

    The method I posted takes 5~10 minutes, but it's necessary.
  11. will do it than tomorrow
  12. jaquith said:
    Then IF ALL sticks = FAIL you have a bigger problem. Perhaps in pushing-in the DIMM slots something moved and became shorted.

    You can try Lazyman's Breadboard -
    * Disconnect ALL Front Panel & USB Headers ; keep only the PWR & Ground <best> short w/wire.
    * Disconnect ALL peripherals including the Keyboard/Mouse
    * (1) Stick of RAM in the second DIMM slot from CPU
    * Unscrew both the MOBO and PCIe screws

    Pull the MOBO away from anything conductive and supported by a towel ; short PWR & Ground to start.



    did it and same stuff..
    my other thought is it might be PSU... not sure yet just a thought
  13. Unfortunately, the only way to rule-out MOBO from CPU from PSU problems is the start replacing stuff. Most/many PSU's carry a 5-year warranty. None of you components should be > 2 years old. :(
  14. what i think it is psu.. it is 650W antec modular but it is 5 years old
  15. Antec is crap -- I've had a couple ruin my GPU's when they took their dive, and ever since I'm very picky about PSU's.

    Q - Besides an X58 and i7-930 -- what other components are running-off your PC? e.g. GPUs, number of HDD's, PCI/PCIe cards, etc.
    Q - Is your PC on 7/24/365 or does it get turned-off or sleep. e.g. Bronze, Silver or Gold rated PSU.
  16. jaquith said:
    Antec is crap -- I've had a couple ruin my GPU's when they took their dive, and ever since I'm very picky about PSU's.

    Q - Besides an X58 and i7-930 -- what other components are running-off your PC? e.g. GPUs, number of HDD's, PCI/PCIe cards, etc.
    Q - Is your PC on 7/24/365 or does it get turned-off or sleep. e.g. Bronze, Silver or Gold rated PSU.



    P of *** PSU
    5850 xfx card
    creative pci titanium hd
    3 640gb hard drives SATA i know i should of have ssd but it is what it is
    no dvd drive yet but came today
    now 12gb of ram at 1.6 volts
    my pc is 7/24/365
  17. In your case I'd either go with a Gold or Platinum Certified.

    My picks:
    1. 159.99 CORSAIR Professional Series Gold AX750 - http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817139016
    2. 169.99 SeaSonic X750 Gold 750W - http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817151087

    If you're in an area where your KW/Hr is > $0.12 then it'll pay you spend the extra money for the saving in electricity. Idle you'll probably pulling 225W~250W; the PSU's are sized for OC'ing both the CPU and GPU so they're over-sized, but the on always reduces the the capacity via 'electrolytic capacitor aging' so it's best to over size 30%~40%.

    The PSU's I posted will last you until the system otherwise 'dies' or is EOL 5+ years.
  18. thanks.. so i gues i will go with one of those


    hope it will work.. thanks
  19. ok my psu is ok..
    went to store picked up corsair 700 just to test it if my psu was ff'ed up,
    so nope.. everything the same..
  20. So to recap - all you did was to add more RAM and in the process you had/have a boot failure aka nothing on the screen. Next, you tried a new PSU and now ditto.

    IF the PSU indeed failed, like it did a couple of times with me in the past -- the PSU 'might have' pooched the system. BUT you had NO symptoms of PSU troubles aka oddball boot/shutdowns.

    Which leaves me to the conclusions: A. Shorting from movement aka DIMM pressure, or B. Micro-Cracking of the MOBO.

    I assume everything is properly seated i.e. GPU.

    ---------------

    1. Reseat everything.
    1. Try a different PCIe slot for the GPU.
    2. Full Breadboarding ; removing the MOBO from the case entirely with minimal connections.
  21. jaquith said:
    So to recap - all you did was to add more RAM and in the process you had/have a boot failure aka nothing on the screen. Next, you tried a new PSU and now ditto.

    IF the PSU indeed failed, like it did a couple of times with me in the past -- the PSU 'might have' pooched the system. BUT you had NO symptoms of PSU troubles aka oddball boot/shutdowns.

    Which leaves me to the conclusions: A. Shorting from movement aka DIMM pressure, or B. Micro-Cracking of the MOBO.

    I assume everything is properly seated i.e. GPU.

    ---------------

    1. Reseat everything.
    1. Try a different PCIe slot for the GPU.
    2. Full Breadboarding ; removing the MOBO from the case entirely with minimal connections.



    i did completely everything.. removed mobo and connected only video card [as my mobo has no on board video] with one at a time ram so i am assuming it is mobo failure..
    i will have to buy new PSU cause one i have is old..
    and new mobo..
    damn it ;]]
  22. i took everything out
    took apart everything besides cpu
  23. The MOBO should be under warranty i.e. free, the ASUS P6X58D Premium carries a 3 year warranty -- and it's a good MOBO...

    As far as the PSU IMO 7/24/365 get one I posted above; I understand why you ran out an purchased one -- I would have done the same.
  24. jaquith said:
    The MOBO should be under warranty i.e. free, the ASUS P6X58D Premium carries a 3 year warranty -- and it's a good MOBO...

    As far as the PSU IMO 7/24/365 get one I posted above; I understand why you ran out an purchased one -- I would have done the same.



    ;]]
    it is? ok than i will contact asus tomorrow if not than i will buy something better.. x58's are not that expensive these days
    recomend which i should get just in case
  25. IF you really want a new MOBO then IMO look at the Gigabyte G1 series which has the much faster, double speed, Marvell 9182 chipset. The older Marvell 9128 for example limit the newer SSD's to ~380MB/s which is a problem with the newer 500~550MB/s SSDs.

    ASUS takes about 2 weeks for the RMA/Exchange process.

    ASUS:
    1. Request RMA (Case Number) -> http://service.asus.com/InfoPage.aspx?rid=7
    2. RMA -> http://vip.asus.com/eservice/usa_rmaserv.aspx
  26. Best answer selected by _orbital_.
  27. jaquith said:
    IF you really want a new MOBO then IMO look at the Gigabyte G1 series which has the much faster, double speed, Marvell 9182 chipset. The older Marvell 9128 for example limit the newer SSD's to ~380MB/s which is a problem with the newer 500~550MB/s SSDs.

    ASUS takes about 2 weeks for the RMA/Exchange process.

    ASUS:
    1. Request RMA (Case Number) -> http://service.asus.com/InfoPage.aspx?rid=7
    2. RMA -> http://vip.asus.com/eservice/usa_rmaserv.aspx



    thank you so much..
  28. Good Luck! :)

    Let me know how it turns out...
  29. jaquith said:
    Good Luck! :)

    Let me know how it turns out...



    sure.. will do ;]
  30. jaquith said:
    Good Luck! :)

    Let me know how it turns out...


    ok so..
    found the problem.. went to my dad's house unscrewed from his computer 4870 just to test last thing before sending out my motherboard and look at that.. my pc boots up.. ?? :heink: :ouch: :o

    my video card was bad.. too bad so sad but have to order something new now..

    6970 or 570...

    p.s. my pcie slot is not as tide as it should be
Ask a new question

Read More

Memory Product