Sign in with
Your question
Closed

Adding up memory pc won't boot up

Last response: in Memory
January 4, 2012 4:12:36 PM

guys i have a problem!

i have ASUS PX58D Premium motherboard with i7 930 so i had before 3X2gb corsair mem
so i wanted to add exact same memory 3x2gb so i have 12GB all together memry like i said is exact the same. i didn't mix anything
so i removed new one and still won't start, cleared cmos by removing battery but still nothing

anybody???

thanks

More about : adding memory boot

a c 347 } Memory
January 4, 2012 4:29:29 PM

Don't use XMP and set the RAM manually.

Q - What EXACT Set(s) do you have? Provide link(s).

Try booting with (1) stick at a time; yep a PITA but if you have a bad stick it's the easiest way to find booting X6 times.
Score
Related resources
January 4, 2012 4:37:43 PM

jaquith said:
Don't use XMP and set the RAM manually.

Q - What EXACT Set(s) do you have? Provide link(s).

Try booting with (1) stick at a time; yep a PITA but if you have a bad stick it's the easiest way to find booting X6 times.

i did with one stick at a time same crap ***
btw i also added new sound card even removing that didn't help
Score
a c 347 } Memory
January 4, 2012 4:51:36 PM

XMP ; Extreme Memory Profile (XMP) Intel's version of 'SPD' ; encoded data on the RAM's IC's for setting Frequency, CAS Timings, and DRAM Voltage.

Note: There are (2) different Dominator sets with CAS 8; TR3X6G1600C8D and CMP6GX3M3A1600C8 and they don't mix well...

DDR3-1600 8-8-8-24-2N @ 1.65v

DIMM Slots
CPU: | New | Old | New | Old | New | Old |

BIOS:
Ai Overclock Tuner -> Auto
DRAM Frequency -> DDR3-1600MHz
DRAM Timing Control -> /Manual
DRAM CAS# Latency -> 9 ; 8 after stable
DRAM RAS# to CAS# Delay -> 9 ; 8 after stable
DRAM RAS# PRE Time -> 9 ; 8 after stable
DRAM RAS# ACT Time -> 24
-
DRAM Timing Mode -> 2N
-
QPI/DRAM Core Voltage -> 1.25v
DRAM Bus Voltage -> 1.64v

Save & Exit

First use DDR3-1600 9-9-9-24-2N @ 1.65v (Stable) then DDR3-1600 8-8-8-24-2N @ 1.65v.
Score

Best solution

a c 347 } Memory
January 4, 2012 4:53:43 PM

_orbital_ said:
i did with one stick at a time same crap ***
btw i also added new sound card even removing that didn't help

Then IF ALL sticks = FAIL you have a bigger problem. Perhaps in pushing-in the DIMM slots something moved and became shorted.

You can try Lazyman's Breadboard -
* Disconnect ALL Front Panel & USB Headers ; keep only the PWR & Ground <best> short w/wire.
* Disconnect ALL peripherals including the Keyboard/Mouse
* (1) Stick of RAM in the second DIMM slot from CPU
* Unscrew both the MOBO and PCIe screws

Pull the MOBO away from anything conductive and supported by a towel ; short PWR & Ground to start.
a c 347 } Memory
January 4, 2012 5:02:34 PM

BTW - if using (1) stick then only use the SECOND DIMM slot:

CPU: | blank | RAM | blank | blank | blank | blank |
Score
January 4, 2012 6:46:16 PM

well the problem is that everything starts up i mean all the vents and lights are on but nothing going on on screen and i know it stops somewhere
Score
a c 347 } Memory
January 4, 2012 6:49:37 PM

Can you boot into the BIOS? ; noted the nothing on screen...

You're stuck on breadbaording as I listed above.
Score
January 4, 2012 6:51:57 PM

nope that's the problem.. everything starts but screen is black
Score
January 4, 2012 6:54:44 PM

oh man
Score
a c 347 } Memory
January 4, 2012 6:56:53 PM

Trust me if the breadboard works you'll be happy :) 

The method I posted takes 5~10 minutes, but it's necessary.
Score
January 4, 2012 7:14:32 PM

will do it than tomorrow
Score
January 5, 2012 2:05:00 PM

jaquith said:
Then IF ALL sticks = FAIL you have a bigger problem. Perhaps in pushing-in the DIMM slots something moved and became shorted.

You can try Lazyman's Breadboard -
* Disconnect ALL Front Panel & USB Headers ; keep only the PWR & Ground <best> short w/wire.
* Disconnect ALL peripherals including the Keyboard/Mouse
* (1) Stick of RAM in the second DIMM slot from CPU
* Unscrew both the MOBO and PCIe screws

Pull the MOBO away from anything conductive and supported by a towel ; short PWR & Ground to start.

did it and same stuff..
my other thought is it might be PSU... not sure yet just a thought
Score
a c 347 } Memory
January 5, 2012 2:10:02 PM

Unfortunately, the only way to rule-out MOBO from CPU from PSU problems is the start replacing stuff. Most/many PSU's carry a 5-year warranty. None of you components should be > 2 years old. :( 
Score
January 5, 2012 2:45:21 PM

what i think it is psu.. it is 650W antec modular but it is 5 years old
Score
a c 347 } Memory
January 5, 2012 2:54:52 PM

Antec is crap -- I've had a couple ruin my GPU's when they took their dive, and ever since I'm very picky about PSU's.

Q - Besides an X58 and i7-930 -- what other components are running-off your PC? e.g. GPUs, number of HDD's, PCI/PCIe cards, etc.
Q - Is your PC on 7/24/365 or does it get turned-off or sleep. e.g. Bronze, Silver or Gold rated PSU.
Score
January 5, 2012 3:09:58 PM

jaquith said:
Antec is crap -- I've had a couple ruin my GPU's when they took their dive, and ever since I'm very picky about PSU's.

Q - Besides an X58 and i7-930 -- what other components are running-off your PC? e.g. GPUs, number of HDD's, PCI/PCIe cards, etc.
Q - Is your PC on 7/24/365 or does it get turned-off or sleep. e.g. Bronze, Silver or Gold rated PSU.

P of *** PSU
5850 xfx card
creative pci titanium hd
3 640gb hard drives SATA i know i should of have ssd but it is what it is
no dvd drive yet but came today
now 12gb of ram at 1.6 volts
my pc is 7/24/365
Score
a c 347 } Memory
January 5, 2012 3:47:21 PM

In your case I'd either go with a Gold or Platinum Certified.

My picks:
1. 159.99 CORSAIR Professional Series Gold AX750 - http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...
2. 169.99 SeaSonic X750 Gold 750W - http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

If you're in an area where your KW/Hr is > $0.12 then it'll pay you spend the extra money for the saving in electricity. Idle you'll probably pulling 225W~250W; the PSU's are sized for OC'ing both the CPU and GPU so they're over-sized, but the on always reduces the the capacity via 'electrolytic capacitor aging' so it's best to over size 30%~40%.

The PSU's I posted will last you until the system otherwise 'dies' or is EOL 5+ years.
Score
January 5, 2012 3:49:45 PM

thanks.. so i gues i will go with one of those

hope it will work.. thanks
Score
January 5, 2012 6:40:52 PM

ok my psu is ok..
went to store picked up corsair 700 just to test it if my psu was ff'ed up,
so nope.. everything the same..

Score
a c 347 } Memory
January 5, 2012 7:01:05 PM

So to recap - all you did was to add more RAM and in the process you had/have a boot failure aka nothing on the screen. Next, you tried a new PSU and now ditto.

IF the PSU indeed failed, like it did a couple of times with me in the past -- the PSU 'might have' pooched the system. BUT you had NO symptoms of PSU troubles aka oddball boot/shutdowns.

Which leaves me to the conclusions: A. Shorting from movement aka DIMM pressure, or B. Micro-Cracking of the MOBO.

I assume everything is properly seated i.e. GPU.

---------------

1. Reseat everything.
1. Try a different PCIe slot for the GPU.
2. Full Breadboarding ; removing the MOBO from the case entirely with minimal connections.
Score
January 5, 2012 8:19:20 PM

jaquith said:
So to recap - all you did was to add more RAM and in the process you had/have a boot failure aka nothing on the screen. Next, you tried a new PSU and now ditto.

IF the PSU indeed failed, like it did a couple of times with me in the past -- the PSU 'might have' pooched the system. BUT you had NO symptoms of PSU troubles aka oddball boot/shutdowns.

Which leaves me to the conclusions: A. Shorting from movement aka DIMM pressure, or B. Micro-Cracking of the MOBO.

I assume everything is properly seated i.e. GPU.

---------------

1. Reseat everything.
1. Try a different PCIe slot for the GPU.
2. Full Breadboarding ; removing the MOBO from the case entirely with minimal connections.

i did completely everything.. removed mobo and connected only video card [as my mobo has no on board video] with one at a time ram so i am assuming it is mobo failure..
i will have to buy new PSU cause one i have is old..
and new mobo..
damn it ;]]
Score
January 5, 2012 8:25:50 PM

i took everything out
took apart everything besides cpu
Score
a c 347 } Memory
January 5, 2012 8:27:50 PM

The MOBO should be under warranty i.e. free, the ASUS P6X58D Premium carries a 3 year warranty -- and it's a good MOBO...

As far as the PSU IMO 7/24/365 get one I posted above; I understand why you ran out an purchased one -- I would have done the same.
Score
January 5, 2012 8:32:59 PM

jaquith said:
The MOBO should be under warranty i.e. free, the ASUS P6X58D Premium carries a 3 year warranty -- and it's a good MOBO...

As far as the PSU IMO 7/24/365 get one I posted above; I understand why you ran out an purchased one -- I would have done the same.

;]]
it is? ok than i will contact asus tomorrow if not than i will buy something better.. x58's are not that expensive these days
recomend which i should get just in case
Score
a c 347 } Memory
January 5, 2012 8:49:00 PM

IF you really want a new MOBO then IMO look at the Gigabyte G1 series which has the much faster, double speed, Marvell 9182 chipset. The older Marvell 9128 for example limit the newer SSD's to ~380MB/s which is a problem with the newer 500~550MB/s SSDs.

ASUS takes about 2 weeks for the RMA/Exchange process.

ASUS:
1. Request RMA (Case Number) -> http://service.asus.com/InfoPage.aspx?rid=7
2. RMA -> http://vip.asus.com/eservice/usa_rmaserv.aspx
Score
January 5, 2012 9:25:34 PM

Best answer selected by _orbital_.
Score
January 5, 2012 9:25:53 PM

jaquith said:
IF you really want a new MOBO then IMO look at the Gigabyte G1 series which has the much faster, double speed, Marvell 9182 chipset. The older Marvell 9128 for example limit the newer SSD's to ~380MB/s which is a problem with the newer 500~550MB/s SSDs.

ASUS takes about 2 weeks for the RMA/Exchange process.

ASUS:
1. Request RMA (Case Number) -> http://service.asus.com/InfoPage.aspx?rid=7
2. RMA -> http://vip.asus.com/eservice/usa_rmaserv.aspx

thank you so much..
Score
a c 347 } Memory
January 5, 2012 9:31:51 PM

Good Luck! :) 

Let me know how it turns out...
Score
January 5, 2012 9:42:51 PM

jaquith said:

sure.. will do ;]
Score
January 7, 2012 11:01:32 AM

jaquith said:

ok so..
found the problem.. went to my dad's house unscrewed from his computer 4870 just to test last thing before sending out my motherboard and look at that.. my pc boots up.. ?? :heink:  :ouch:  :o 

my video card was bad.. too bad so sad but have to order something new now..

6970 or 570...

p.s. my pcie slot is not as tide as it should be
Score
!