Sign in with
Your question
Solved

Is this a good gaming build? Will it all work together?

Last response: in Systems
February 1, 2011 4:41:37 AM

Hi, I am new to pc building. I want a good pc for playing games and have realized that i can get a better deal buying individual components and putting them together, than by buying a new computer. I considered buying a Velocity Micro Vector Holiday Edition, but for that money I can build a much better PC. However, I have never considered building a PC until today. I need to know if these parts will work well together, or if some of them are incompatible.
Also, I would like to know if any of these parts are unnecessary or could be downgraded without affecting gaming performance. Perhaps they could be replaced with a better part in the same price range?

Here's the list

Cooler Master HAF 922 case

XFX Black Edition 850w power supply

EVGA P55 Micro Motherboard

Intel Core i5 760 processor

Cooler Master Hyper 212 plus PCU cooler

Western Digital Caviar Black 1TB, 7200rpm, 6.0GB/s, 64mb cache Hard drive

EGVA super clocked GTX 460 (x2) Video card

G SKILL Ripsaw 8 GB, 240 pin, DDR3 RAM

Sony Optiarc CD/DVD burner 24x

Any help would be awesome. Thanks

More about : good gaming build work

February 1, 2011 4:53:13 AM

noobpcer said:
Hi, I am new to pc building. I want a good pc for playing games and have realized that i can get a better deal buying individual components and putting them together, than by buying a new computer. I considered buying a Velocity Micro Vector Holiday Edition, but for that money I can build a much better PC. However, I have never considered building a PC until today. I need to know if these parts will work well together, or if some of them are incompatible.
Also, I would like to know if any of these parts are unnecessary or could be downgraded without affecting gaming performance. Perhaps they could be replaced with a better part in the same price range?

Here's the list

Cooler Master HAF 922 case

XFX Black Edition 850w power supply

EVGA P55 Micro Motherboard

Intel Core i5 760 processor

Cooler Master Hyper 212 plus PCU cooler

Western Digital Caviar Black 1TB, 7200rpm, 6.0GB/s, 64mb cache Hard drive

EGVA super clocked GTX 460 (x2) Video card

G SKILL Ripsaw 8 GB, 240 pin, DDR3 RAM

Sony Optiarc CD/DVD burner 24x

Any help would be awesome. Thanks

BTW, I should mention that the motherboard is SLI ready. Does this mean I need something else to get the 2 GPUs to work together? Also, am I missing anything important here?
February 1, 2011 3:48:45 PM

If you are not overclocking you will not need the aftermarket cooler.

You also don't need 850W for that. You could easily get by with a 750W, if not even a 650W

Here is a 750W that is cheaper and doesn't have a rebate
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

Any particular reason you want SLI? what resolution are you gaming at? You might be better off with a single better card.
Related resources
a b B Homebuilt system
February 1, 2011 6:47:30 PM

Yeah, what kind of games will you be playing, what's your price range, etc.

Best solution

a b B Homebuilt system
February 1, 2011 7:01:12 PM

Keep the 850 watter from XFX, it's only $10 more than the Corsair TX750 and $20 more than the TP-650 and those are the smallest PSU's which are certified to run twin 460's. Jonnyguru gives the XFX Black 850 a 10.0 performance rating, significantly higher than the other two. You'd have to move up to the Antec SG or CP series or Corsair HX series to match performace with the XFX Black.

However, given the quality of the other components, I'd move from the $180 460 1GB to a single $360 superclocked 570 .... then save the 2nd 570 for future add on in XMas in 2011 or 2012.

The XFX 850 can easily handle the twin 570's and while the twin 460's would outperform the 570 today, the ability to add a 2nd 570 later on will greatly extend the life of the system.

And I'd invest $10 in upgrading from the Hyper 212 to the Scythe Mugen 2 SCMG 2100. Read the article to see why.

http://benchmarkreviews.com/index.php?option=com_conten...

NOTE: the site tests about a dozen new coolers each quarter and them compares the 12 new ones to all the tests done in previous quarters to make recommendations.
February 2, 2011 1:54:13 AM

sorry i didnt respond earlier. I want to build a pc that can play current core games such as: Fallout New Vegas, Batman Arkham Asylum, HAWX 2, as well as future games like, and especially, TES V Skyrim. I would like to play these games as close to max settings as possible, because I dont want to get old XBox style graphics on PC games that I could buy for the 360.

P.S. If a man speaks in front of every woman in the world it doesnt matter if he is wrong because they left the kitchen. just kiddin femmies
February 2, 2011 3:44:35 AM

Best answer selected by noobpcer.
!