Sign in with
Your question

TV as MONITOR, does HD res matter?

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
December 3, 2010 5:03:07 AM

Hello,
a few questions about tvs as monitors:
i use my TV as a monitor mostly (vga port) but i like the ability to switch over and watch over-the-air tv if i want. that being said, what's better--LED or LCD?
i have my choice down between either a 24" LED 1089p HDTV,
or a 26" 720p normal LCD.

right now i'm sorta leaning towards the bigger screen simply because the gap is WAY BIGGER than just 2"--the length of the 24" is 22.5", the length of the 26" is actually 25.7". it's just so much bigger.

does the 1080p matter since i will only be watching over-the-air tv from an antenna? or will it mess with the resolution of my computer/dvds/etc even tho i use VGA ports?
considering my dark lair of a cave, will LED make a difference?

More about : monitor res matter

December 3, 2010 5:09:14 AM

if it helps, the 26" is VIORE, the 24" is SCEPTER.

both seems like crappy brands, but i'm not some tv snob. i'm poor people.
m
l
a c 216 U Graphics card
a c 128 C Monitor
December 3, 2010 5:51:09 AM

720p may be fine for watching TV, especially if you will sit further away from it than you typically do a monitor, but for a monitor, that's not a very good resolution for that size. Everything will look a lot more pixelated due to having a much lower DPI than the other does.

If you want a 26" monitor, I'd strongly recommend getting one that 1080p or higher res.
m
l
Related resources
a c 261 U Graphics card
a b C Monitor
December 3, 2010 1:37:19 PM

720P is 1280 x 720 resolution.
1080P is 1920 x 1080 resolution.

I would go for the 1080P; higher resolution. You will pay a bit more for it. The monitor is one of the few "future proof" pc purchases you can make today. Spend what you need to on a great monitor. You will be looking at it for a long time.
1080P lets you view HD content and will give a clearer image on normal PC work.

The size of the monitor is irrelevant. At a desktop distance, 32" is not too large.

I can't comment on LCD or LED, image quality or speed.

720P is appropriate for a laptop, or a pc with a 15" screen; not much else.
1080P on a 24" desktop is very good.
m
l
a c 376 U Graphics card
a b C Monitor
December 3, 2010 5:17:52 PM

LED backlighting is a nice bonus but even ignoring that I'd choose the 24" because 26" at 720p is going to look terrible when used as a monitor. Normally 720p is for monitors that are about 17-18". Putting the same resolution on a screen with over twice the area is going to make text/pics look blurred when viewed close up. It will look ok for a distance with video but such a screen is simply not appropriate to use as a monitor IMO.
m
l
!