Win7 (pro 64bit) recognizing all 12GB but saying only 6GB is usable?!

farbs

Distinguished
Dec 26, 2008
Hello

I built this machine a while back and have never been able to solve the following issue.

I was wondering if anyone else has experienced with before?

Gigabyte GA-X58A-UD3R motherboard
12 GB (6x2GB) G.Skill ddr3 tripple channel memory

Got windows 7 professional 64 bit installed

Went into system specs and it says "12GB (6GB Usable)

I updated the bios to F5 and rebooted, it showed all 12GB usable!!

I shut down the machine, woke up this morning turned it on, and back to 12GB (6GB Usable)

I went into msconfig, boot, and made sure the max memory is unchecked.

Ive shuffled the sticks around many times and after powering back up, the amount of recognizable memory almost always changes (from 2, 4, 6, 8, 10, 12)

Ive searched and seen this problem, but Ive yet to find any solutions.
126GBusable.png

maxmem.png

cpuz.png

Shows 12GB in Ccleaner:

ccleaner.png

Please help

What RAM Kit(s) do you have installed? ; I prefer a link. Manually setting the RAM and increasing the QPI/VTT (IMC) voltage will probably solve the issue, but I need to know what's installed.

Typically it's best to sort the RAM sets as follows:
CPU: | Set 2 | Set 1 | Set 2 | Set 1 | Set 2 | Set 1 |

The Image that is most useful -- I assume the Hardware Reserved is >6GB:
RM_7PRO6GB.gif

farbs

Distinguished
Dec 26, 2008

I have reseated the RAM sticks numerous times, always with the same result: varying 'usable' amounts

The kit I purchased was:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820231225

I will try to sort the sets per your recommendation tonight, but I really have a feeling it wont make a difference. I assume:

cpu: | set 3 | set 2 | set 1 | set 3 | set 2 | set 1 |

I am not at home right now, so I cannot produce the image you suggest, but I have looked at it before and it will only show what is 'usable'

Thanks for the help so far guys.

-Scott

If you only have 2 Kits of G.SKILL 6GB (3 x 2GB) DDR3 1600 F3-12800CL9T-6GBNQ installed then:
CPU: | Set 2 | Set 1 | Set 2 | Set 1 | Set 2 | Set 1 |

There's no way to get a 'Set 3' unless you didn't post ALL of your sets. In any case XMP cannot work - period.

Set DDR3-1600 9-9-9-24-2N @ 1.50v~1.60v - http://www.gskill.com/products.php?index=110

Ass-U-Ming ALL sets are the same then do the following:

BIOS

Load Optimized
Extreme Memory Profile (X.M.P.) -> Disabled
System Memory Multiplier -> 12 ; 12 * 133.33MHz = 1600MHz
DRAM Timing Selectable -> Quick
CAS Latency Time -> 9
tRCD -> 9
tRP -> 9
tRAS -> 24
Command Rate(CMD) -> 2
-
QPI/Vtt Voltage -> 1.25v~1.30v ; 1.25v for DRAM Voltage 1.50v & 1.30v for 1.60v
DRAM Voltage -> 1.55v~1.60v ; +0.05v since all DIMM slots are filled

-- optional:

ICH SATA Control Mode -> AHCI
ALL SATA modes -> AHCI

Save & Exit = Yes

Next, verify BIOS -> AHCI <=> Start = 0; often the Start values = 3 which is IDE mode and the wrong drivers for Windows load.

Either manually set the following registry values <or> use 'Fix It' ; Reference -> http://support.microsoft.com/kb/922976
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\System\CurrentControlSet\Services\Msahci
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\System\CurrentControlSet\Services\IastorV

AHCI_Start_0.jpg

farbs

Distinguished
Dec 26, 2008

Thanks for the lengthy reply

You are right, there are only 2 sets, I made a mistake

I see in your instructions the first part is to adjust the voltage

What is the second part after 'optional' ?

And finally, why would adjusting the voltage fix this? What is the issue here?

Thanks

-Scott

Optional is using AHCI for the SATA drives; this is faster but once in a while causes a problem that's easily fixed but boot failures freak folks out.

Voltage is often an issue with all the DIMM's filled, and both the IMC (QPI/Vtt) and DIMM (DRAM) voltages can run too low or under powered causing the BIOS to shut-down the RAM. Meaning CPU-z 'sees' the RAM but the BIOS disables the RAM to prevent errors. A poor analogy is suckling pigs -- 3 plenty but 6 not enough.

Since the RAM is rated for 1.60v you might want to use the upper voltages then test, and then try the slightly lower voltages listed.

farbs

Distinguished
Dec 26, 2008
So I finally got around to editing the BIOS

I did the following changes:

BIOS

Load Optimized
CAS Latency Time -> 9
tRCD -> 9
tRP -> 9
tRAS -> 24
Command Rate(CMD) -> 2
-
QPI/Vtt Voltage -> 1.25v~1.30v ; 1.25v for DRAM Voltage 1.50v & 1.30v for 1.60v
DRAM Voltage -> 1.55v~1.60v ; +0.05v since all DIMM slots are filled

I tried both the lower range of voltage and the higher range suggested. Both time resulting in Windows recognizing 12GB, but only using 10GB (which is an upgrade from 6GB before)

Do I need to tinker with the QPI/Vtt Voltage and DRAM Voltage a bit more? Is there anything in the Advanced DRAM Features?

Any further recomendations?

Okay, I can see (1) stick is either 'bad' of 'off' for a variety of reasons. However, the 'Testing' in the BIOS screen strongly suggests 'bad'. Note, there's a slim chance of a bad DIMM slot.

Solutions:

1. Bad Stick
The simplest way to find the 'bad' stick is to either look through CPU-z looking at the 'SPD' tab or boot (1) one stick at a time.
CPU: | blank | Test RAM | blanks ................ |

<or>

2. Voltage
Try increasing the voltage as a test, the RAM is Rated for 1.60v and up to +0.05v~+0.10v won't damage either the CPU or RAM especially with 6-DIMM configuration. I am generally conservative in public forums.

QPI/Vtt Voltage -> 1.35v
DRAM Voltage -> 1.64v

farbs

Distinguished
Dec 26, 2008

So I had to powerdown yesterday and when I powered back up, it went back to 6GB

dafasdfasdf.jpg

Why would it continue to bounce around like this?

Is this proof of bad memory?

Oh 'joy'! Not.

If the following BIOS settings is failing, and there's no BIOS invasive Apps running e.g. especially Easy Tune6 or Cloud OC or even AutoGreen then my next question is what HSF is installed? A short/grounding short can also cause issues and might explain the on again off again DIMM slots.

Could it be the RAM, yes, or could it be something else yes.

If I kept on getting this then my first task after the BIOS would be to fully breadboard and use the stock HSF.

I assume the following BIOS:
CAS Latency Time -> 9
tRCD -> 9
tRP -> 9
tRAS -> 24
Command Rate(CMD) -> 2
QPI/Vtt Voltage -> 1.35v
DRAM Voltage -> 1.64v

farbs

Distinguished
Dec 26, 2008

Okay, so I went into BIOS to double check everything again, took these pics for reference:

7e728c13.jpg

da214f55.jpg

Rebooted and it is back to 10GB total:

sdfafdaf.jpg

I never did your additional .05v test, should I try this?

I dont believe I have any invasive apps running, I never installed anything like that before.

I have a Zalman HS:

3c941cb5.jpg

What do you mean by 'to fully breadboard' ?

I suppose it wouldn't hurt to try out the stock HSF, right? Upgrading to the Zalman was something my dad and I always did when we built our computers (not exactly sure why)

By the way, I appreciate all your help. This has been a pesky problem and I am grateful for your assistance.

Every time you change the voltages it seems to help, but I noticed different voltages:

QPI/Vtt Voltage -> 1.31v
DRAM Voltage -> 1.60v

vs

QPI/Vtt Voltage -> 1.35v
DRAM Voltage -> 1.64v

Keep in mind 3x2GB is different than 6x2GB and therefore additional voltage 90% of the time is often required. RAM has a toleration of +0.20v~+0.30v. IF DRAM Voltage -> 1.64v fails then it might need to be as high as 1.37v + 1.67v. Knowing the UD3R those voltages cause the LED's to go yellow or red, the voltages I suggested 1.64v + 1.35v are about the maximum for 'green' LEDS.

Excessive46

Distinguished
Jan 16, 2012
iv just installed another 6 gig of Kingston hyper x 1600mhz to go with other 6 gig and having same problem. 12 gig 6 gig unusable

specs

evga 480 in sli gtx 275 physics
kingston hyper x 12 gig 1600mhz
evga x58 classified 4 way sli
intel 960 3.20 oc 4.00
corsair hx 1000 watt
coolermaster v8

capturevrb.png

capturecns.png

miloshe

Reputable
May 19, 2015
after searching everywhere and trying a lot of suggested things, i reseated my processor and it resolved the issue on first boot. 12gb installed, 12gb seen. i was earlier, only seeing 8gb of the 12gb in windows and in the bios.

i've held at the F5 bios version due to issues with all the ones newer than it.

thanks.