Win7 (pro 64bit) recognizing all 12GB but saying only 6GB is usable?!

Hello

I built this machine a while back and have never been able to solve the following issue.

I was wondering if anyone else has experienced with before?

Gigabyte GA-X58A-UD3R motherboard
12 GB (6x2GB) G.Skill ddr3 tripple channel memory

Got windows 7 professional 64 bit installed

Went into system specs and it says "12GB (6GB Usable)

I updated the bios to F5 and rebooted, it showed all 12GB usable!!

I shut down the machine, woke up this morning turned it on, and back to 12GB (6GB Usable)

I went into msconfig, boot, and made sure the max memory is unchecked.

Ive shuffled the sticks around many times and after powering back up, the amount of recognizable memory almost always changes (from 2, 4, 6, 8, 10, 12)

Ive searched and seen this problem, but Ive yet to find any solutions.




Shows 12GB in Ccleaner:



Please help
18 answers Last reply
More about win7 64bit recognizing 12gb usable
  1. Try reseating the RAM stick's, make sure all of the RAM modules are in place and locked.
  2. What RAM Kit(s) do you have installed? ; I prefer a link. Manually setting the RAM and increasing the QPI/VTT (IMC) voltage will probably solve the issue, but I need to know what's installed.

    Typically it's best to sort the RAM sets as follows:
    CPU: | Set 2 | Set 1 | Set 2 | Set 1 | Set 2 | Set 1 |

    The Image that is most useful -- I assume the Hardware Reserved is >6GB:
  3. nikorr said:
    Try reseating the RAM stick's, make sure all of the RAM modules are in place and locked.


    I have reseated the RAM sticks numerous times, always with the same result: varying 'usable' amounts

    jaquith said:
    What RAM Kit(s) do you have installed? ; I prefer a link. Manually setting the RAM and increasing the QPI/VTT (IMC) voltage will probably solve the issue, but I need to know what's installed.

    Typically it's best to sort the RAM sets as follows:
    CPU: | Set 2 | Set 1 | Set 2 | Set 1 | Set 2 | Set 1 |


    The kit I purchased was:

    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820231225

    I will try to sort the sets per your recommendation tonight, but I really have a feeling it wont make a difference. I assume:

    cpu: | set 3 | set 2 | set 1 | set 3 | set 2 | set 1 |

    I am not at home right now, so I cannot produce the image you suggest, but I have looked at it before and it will only show what is 'usable'

    Thanks for the help so far guys.

    -Scott
  4. If you only have 2 Kits of G.SKILL 6GB (3 x 2GB) DDR3 1600 F3-12800CL9T-6GBNQ installed then:
    CPU: | Set 2 | Set 1 | Set 2 | Set 1 | Set 2 | Set 1 |

    There's no way to get a 'Set 3' unless you didn't post ALL of your sets. In any case XMP cannot work - period.

    Set DDR3-1600 9-9-9-24-2N @ 1.50v~1.60v - http://www.gskill.com/products.php?index=110

    Ass-U-Ming ALL sets are the same then do the following:

    BIOS

    Load Optimized
    Extreme Memory Profile (X.M.P.) -> Disabled
    System Memory Multiplier -> 12 ; 12 * 133.33MHz = 1600MHz
    DRAM Timing Selectable -> Quick
    CAS Latency Time -> 9
    tRCD -> 9
    tRP -> 9
    tRAS -> 24
    Command Rate(CMD) -> 2
    -
    QPI/Vtt Voltage -> 1.25v~1.30v ; 1.25v for DRAM Voltage 1.50v & 1.30v for 1.60v
    DRAM Voltage -> 1.55v~1.60v ; +0.05v since all DIMM slots are filled

    -- optional:

    ICH SATA Control Mode -> AHCI
    ALL SATA modes -> AHCI

    Save & Exit = Yes

    Next, verify BIOS -> AHCI <=> Start = 0; often the Start values = 3 which is IDE mode and the wrong drivers for Windows load.

    Either manually set the following registry values <or> use 'Fix It' ; Reference -> http://support.microsoft.com/kb/922976
    HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\System\CurrentControlSet\Services\Msahci
    HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\System\CurrentControlSet\Services\IastorV

  5. jaquith said:
    If you only have 2 Kits of G.SKILL 6GB (3 x 2GB) DDR3 1600 F3-12800CL9T-6GBNQ installed then:
    CPU: | Set 2 | Set 1 | Set 2 | Set 1 | Set 2 | Set 1 |

    There's no way to get a 'Set 3' unless you didn't post ALL of your sets. In any case XMP cannot work - period.

    Set DDR3-1600 9-9-9-24-2N @ 1.50v~1.60v - http://www.gskill.com/products.php?index=110

    Ass-U-Ming ALL sets are the same then do the following:

    BIOS

    Load Optimized
    Extreme Memory Profile (X.M.P.) -> Disabled
    System Memory Multiplier -> 12 ; 12 * 133.33MHz = 1600MHz
    DRAM Timing Selectable -> Quick
    CAS Latency Time -> 9
    tRCD -> 9
    tRP -> 9
    tRAS -> 24
    Command Rate(CMD) -> 2
    -
    QPI/Vtt Voltage -> 1.25v~1.30v ; 1.25v for DRAM Voltage 1.50v & 1.30v for 1.60v
    DRAM Voltage -> 1.55v~1.60v ; +0.05v since all DIMM slots are filled

    -- optional:

    ICH SATA Control Mode -> AHCI
    ALL SATA modes -> AHCI

    Save & Exit = Yes

    Next, verify BIOS -> AHCI <=> Start = 0; often the Start values = 3 which is IDE mode and the wrong drivers for Windows load.

    Either manually set the following registry values <or> use 'Fix It' ; Reference -> http://support.microsoft.com/kb/922976
    HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\System\CurrentControlSet\Services\Msahci
    HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\System\CurrentControlSet\Services\IastorV

    http://i1013.photobucket.com/albums/af254/Jaquith/AHCI_Start_0.jpg


    Thanks for the lengthy reply

    You are right, there are only 2 sets, I made a mistake

    I see in your instructions the first part is to adjust the voltage

    What is the second part after 'optional' ?

    And finally, why would adjusting the voltage fix this? What is the issue here?

    Thanks

    -Scott
  6. Optional is using AHCI for the SATA drives; this is faster but once in a while causes a problem that's easily fixed but boot failures freak folks out.

    Voltage is often an issue with all the DIMM's filled, and both the IMC (QPI/Vtt) and DIMM (DRAM) voltages can run too low or under powered causing the BIOS to shut-down the RAM. Meaning CPU-z 'sees' the RAM but the BIOS disables the RAM to prevent errors. A poor analogy is suckling pigs -- 3 plenty but 6 not enough.

    Since the RAM is rated for 1.60v you might want to use the upper voltages then test, and then try the slightly lower voltages listed.
  7. Got it, thanks for your help!
  8. So I finally got around to editing the BIOS

    I did the following changes:

    BIOS

    Load Optimized
    Extreme Memory Profile (X.M.P.) -> Disabled
    System Memory Multiplier -> 12 ; 12 * 133.33MHz = 1600MHz
    DRAM Timing Selectable -> Quick
    CAS Latency Time -> 9
    tRCD -> 9
    tRP -> 9
    tRAS -> 24
    Command Rate(CMD) -> 2
    -
    QPI/Vtt Voltage -> 1.25v~1.30v ; 1.25v for DRAM Voltage 1.50v & 1.30v for 1.60v
    DRAM Voltage -> 1.55v~1.60v ; +0.05v since all DIMM slots are filled


    I tried both the lower range of voltage and the higher range suggested. Both time resulting in Windows recognizing 12GB, but only using 10GB (which is an upgrade from 6GB before)

    Do I need to tinker with the QPI/Vtt Voltage and DRAM Voltage a bit more? Is there anything in the Advanced DRAM Features?


    Any further recomendations?
  9. Don't confuse Total and Installed with Available; Available = Total - In Use (OS + Apps).

    Post a screen shot of your Resource Monitor.


  10. First screen during boot:

  11. Okay, I can see (1) stick is either 'bad' of 'off' for a variety of reasons. However, the 'Testing' in the BIOS screen strongly suggests 'bad'. Note, there's a slim chance of a bad DIMM slot.

    Solutions:

    1. Bad Stick
    The simplest way to find the 'bad' stick is to either look through CPU-z looking at the 'SPD' tab or boot (1) one stick at a time.
    CPU: | blank | Test RAM | blanks ................ |

    <or>

    2. Voltage
    Try increasing the voltage as a test, the RAM is Rated for 1.60v and up to +0.05v~+0.10v won't damage either the CPU or RAM especially with 6-DIMM configuration. I am generally conservative in public forums.

    QPI/Vtt Voltage -> 1.35v
    DRAM Voltage -> 1.64v
  12. jaquith said:
    Okay, I can see (1) stick is either 'bad' of 'off' for a variety of reasons. However, the 'Testing' in the BIOS screen strongly suggests 'bad'. Note, there's a slim chance of a bad DIMM slot.

    Solutions:

    1. Bad Stick
    The simplest way to find the 'bad' stick is to either look through CPU-z looking at the 'SPD' tab or boot (1) one stick at a time.
    CPU: | blank | Test RAM | blanks ................ |

    <or>

    2. Voltage
    Try increasing the voltage as a test, the RAM is Rated for 1.60v and up to +0.05v~+0.10v won't damage either the CPU or RAM especially with 6-DIMM configuration. I am generally conservative in public forums.

    QPI/Vtt Voltage -> 1.35v
    DRAM Voltage -> 1.64v



    So I had to powerdown yesterday and when I powered back up, it went back to 6GB



    Why would it continue to bounce around like this?

    Is this proof of bad memory?
  13. Oh 'joy'! Not.

    If the following BIOS settings is failing, and there's no BIOS invasive Apps running e.g. especially Easy Tune6 or Cloud OC or even AutoGreen then my next question is what HSF is installed? A short/grounding short can also cause issues and might explain the on again off again DIMM slots.

    Could it be the RAM, yes, or could it be something else yes.

    If I kept on getting this then my first task after the BIOS would be to fully breadboard and use the stock HSF.

    I assume the following BIOS:
    Extreme Memory Profile (X.M.P.) -> Disabled
    System Memory Multiplier -> 12 ; 12 * 133.33MHz = 1600MHz
    DRAM Timing Selectable -> Quick
    CAS Latency Time -> 9
    tRCD -> 9
    tRP -> 9
    tRAS -> 24
    Command Rate(CMD) -> 2
    QPI/Vtt Voltage -> 1.35v
    DRAM Voltage -> 1.64v
  14. jaquith said:
    Oh 'joy'! Not.

    If the following BIOS settings is failing, and there's no BIOS invasive Apps running e.g. especially Easy Tune6 or Cloud OC or even AutoGreen then my next question is what HSF is installed? A short/grounding short can also cause issues and might explain the on again off again DIMM slots.

    Could it be the RAM, yes, or could it be something else yes.

    If I kept on getting this then my first task after the BIOS would be to fully breadboard and use the stock HSF.

    I assume the following BIOS:
    Extreme Memory Profile (X.M.P.) -> Disabled
    System Memory Multiplier -> 12 ; 12 * 133.33MHz = 1600MHz
    DRAM Timing Selectable -> Quick
    CAS Latency Time -> 9
    tRCD -> 9
    tRP -> 9
    tRAS -> 24
    Command Rate(CMD) -> 2
    QPI/Vtt Voltage -> 1.35v
    DRAM Voltage -> 1.64v


    Okay, so I went into BIOS to double check everything again, took these pics for reference:





    Rebooted and it is back to 10GB total:



    I never did your additional .05v test, should I try this?

    I dont believe I have any invasive apps running, I never installed anything like that before.

    I have a Zalman HS:



    What do you mean by 'to fully breadboard' ?

    I suppose it wouldn't hurt to try out the stock HSF, right? Upgrading to the Zalman was something my dad and I always did when we built our computers (not exactly sure why)

    By the way, I appreciate all your help. This has been a pesky problem and I am grateful for your assistance.
  15. Every time you change the voltages it seems to help, but I noticed different voltages:

    QPI/Vtt Voltage -> 1.31v
    DRAM Voltage -> 1.60v

    vs

    QPI/Vtt Voltage -> 1.35v
    DRAM Voltage -> 1.64v


    Keep in mind 3x2GB is different than 6x2GB and therefore additional voltage 90% of the time is often required. RAM has a toleration of +0.20v~+0.30v. IF DRAM Voltage -> 1.64v fails then it might need to be as high as 1.37v + 1.67v. Knowing the UD3R those voltages cause the LED's to go yellow or red, the voltages I suggested 1.64v + 1.35v are about the maximum for 'green' LEDS.
  16. iv just installed another 6 gig of Kingston hyper x 1600mhz to go with other 6 gig and having same problem. 12 gig 6 gig unusable

    specs

    evga 480 in sli gtx 275 physics
    kingston hyper x 12 gig 1600mhz
    evga x58 classified 4 way sli
    intel 960 3.20 oc 4.00
    corsair hx 1000 watt
    coolermaster v8


  17. @Excessive46 - Uncheck [ ] Number of processors. Then start a new post.
  18. after searching everywhere and trying a lot of suggested things, i reseated my processor and it resolved the issue on first boot. 12gb installed, 12gb seen. i was earlier, only seeing 8gb of the 12gb in windows and in the bios.

    i've held at the F5 bios version due to issues with all the ones newer than it.

    thanks.

    farbs said:
    Hello

    I built this machine a while back and have never been able to solve the following issue.

    I was wondering if anyone else has experienced with before?

    Gigabyte GA-X58A-UD3R motherboard
    12 GB (6x2GB) G.Skill ddr3 tripple channel memory

    Got windows 7 professional 64 bit installed

    Went into system specs and it says "12GB (6GB Usable)

    I updated the bios to F5 and rebooted, it showed all 12GB usable!!

    I shut down the machine, woke up this morning turned it on, and back to 12GB (6GB Usable)

    I went into msconfig, boot, and made sure the max memory is unchecked.

    Ive shuffled the sticks around many times and after powering back up, the amount of recognizable memory almost always changes (from 2, 4, 6, 8, 10, 12)

    Ive searched and seen this problem, but Ive yet to find any solutions.




    Shows 12GB in Ccleaner:



    Please help
Ask a new question

Read More

Motherboards Memory Product