power meter and battery problem on Compaq

Last response: in Laptops & Notebooks
a b D Laptop
March 12, 2005 7:45:32 PM

I was given a 766 celeron Compaq 1200 (12XL527 to be exact). Its not great
but I can surf the internet and newsgroups and use it to diagnose wireless
problems. It needed a new battery which I replaced.

Its dual boot win 98 and win XP home. In win 98 mode the operating system
sees the battery and shows the proper battery meter on the task bar.

In Win XP mode the OS doesn't see the battery. I ran google search and
found this exact problem.

http://groups-beta.google.com/group/microsoft.public.wi...

But there was no resolution.

In all my testing I realized that if I scanned for hardware changes after
the computer booted it finds the battery and does everything I would expect
it to do. Even the 3rd party battery monitor program mentioned in the
google search works.

So here's my question does anyone either have a way to fix this right or at
a minimum force the computer to do a hardware scan automatically after the
computer boots by maybe putting a batch file in the startup program group?
Anonymous
a b D Laptop
March 13, 2005 5:55:50 PM

Cliff Hartle wrote:
> I was given a 766 celeron Compaq 1200 (12XL527 to be exact). Its not
> great but I can surf the internet and newsgroups and use it to
> diagnose wireless problems. It needed a new battery which I replaced.
>
> Its dual boot win 98 and win XP home. In win 98 mode the operating
> system sees the battery and shows the proper battery meter on the
> task bar.
> In Win XP mode the OS doesn't see the battery. I ran google search
> and found this exact problem.
>
> http://groups-beta.google.com/group/microsoft.public.wi...
>
> But there was no resolution.
>
> In all my testing I realized that if I scanned for hardware changes
> after the computer booted it finds the battery and does everything I
> would expect it to do. Even the 3rd party battery monitor program
> mentioned in the google search works.
>
> So here's my question does anyone either have a way to fix this right
> or at a minimum force the computer to do a hardware scan
> automatically after the computer boots by maybe putting a batch file
> in the startup program group?

You might have some luck with Intel. Find the chipset identification
utility, and then the chipset drivers to install. "Might" because
Compaq is notorious for making their own mods to everything and the
installation might fail and you'd need to roll back via system restore,
or worse, a repair install of XP.

March 13, 2005 8:40:01 PM

The first thing is to go to the Compaq website and download/install all the
XP drivers for the laptop. There is probably a battery program there.
Actually the first thing I would do is get rid of 98. Unless you have a real
need for it adding multiple operating systems increases the problems
incrementally......

"Cliff Hartle" <cliff_hartle@verizon.net> wrote in message
>I was given a 766 celeron Compaq 1200 (12XL527 to be exact). Its not great
>but I can surf the internet and newsgroups and use it to diagnose wireless
>problems. It needed a new battery which I replaced.
>
> Its dual boot win 98 and win XP home. In win 98 mode the operating system
> sees the battery and shows the proper battery meter on the task bar.
>
> In Win XP mode the OS doesn't see the battery. I ran google search and
> found this exact problem.
>
> http://groups-beta.google.com/group/microsoft.public.wi...
>
> But there was no resolution.
>
> In all my testing I realized that if I scanned for hardware changes after
> the computer booted it finds the battery and does everything I would
> expect it to do. Even the 3rd party battery monitor program mentioned in
> the google search works.
>
> So here's my question does anyone either have a way to fix this right or
> at a minimum force the computer to do a hardware scan automatically after
> the computer boots by maybe putting a batch file in the startup program
> group?

Anonymous
a b D Laptop
March 13, 2005 11:37:03 PM

I probably should have mentioned that the Google group archive talks about
the fact that their are not many XP updates at Compaq (as I already knew).
About the only useful download was for the touchpad.

Also, 98 is on a separate partition so it doesn't effect XP at all.

!