G

Hello, I have a dell inspiron 1545 with windows 7 and i cannot connect to the networks around me

my wireless seems to recognise there are networks but when i click on one and try to connect, the box to type the network key in doesnt come up

please can you help
thanks

Does it indicate these are secured networks? It obviously won't prompt you for a key if it's not applicable.

I would delete any preferred networks you have saved. It's possible that Windows is seeing the same SSID in different locations (many ppl don't change the default SSID, so this happens quite a bit) and assuming it’s the same network from a previous session. So it tries to use the saved key and fails.

lihuahellen

Distinguished
Sep 2, 2010
Hello, I have a dell inspiron 1545 with windows 7 and i cannot connect to the networks around me

my wireless seems to recognize there are networks but when i click on one and try to connect, the box to type the network key in doesn't come up

please can you help
thanks

Hi, try to follow it.
hard wire to the router and verify you have internet
then
start - run - cmd
in the dos box type ipconfig /all
look for the default gateway
open internet explorer and type in the default gateway number from above (it goes right were you would type WWW.Google.com)
it should prompt you for a password. Most links are no username and admin as the password by default, or when it was setup. If this doesn't work you will need to reset the router (read as loose all settings and start over on your router)
if you do get logged in go to the wireless tab then security and write down your key or change it to something you will then know.
A remote possibility is to auto configure the links. This can be done if you have a links wireless card and a newer links modem - you'll have to look on links site for directions on that, I have never actually done it.
Good luck!