Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question

[graphic card] having troubles installing

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
Share
November 28, 2010 10:30:50 PM

hello i have recently purchased a Geforce 8400 gs pci 512mb ddr2 graphics card and i have a emchines computer with windows vista and ive done everything that it says i disabled the internal one in device manager under display drivers but after i install the new one into the pci spot and install everything on the computer and retart everything and go back to device manager it doesnt read it like it doesnt display my new one it still says the old graphics card and i have it hooked up to the new graphics card and everything but i was just wondering if i missed something? would appreciate it if had a fast reply because its been 2 days trying to figure it out and its very very frustrating.
a b U Graphics card
November 28, 2010 11:03:52 PM

There should be an option in the BIOS to disable the integrated graphics card. Did you try that? Also, did you uninstall ALL drivers that are somehow related to the integrated graphics card? If no, do that first, then do a clean install of the new 8400 GS drivers.
m
0
l
a c 214 U Graphics card
November 28, 2010 11:08:44 PM

Can you please list all of your computer specs.(CPU/RAM/Motherboard/Power Supply/etc.)
Are you using the graphics card to use your computer?Like do you have your monitor plugged into it?
m
0
l
Related resources
November 28, 2010 11:10:08 PM

ive been to the BIOS but dont know my why around it lol its all giberish to me what exactly would i be looking for in it?
m
0
l
November 28, 2010 11:12:54 PM

Quote:
Can you please list all of your computer specs.(CPU/RAM/Motherboard/Power Supply/etc.)
Are you using the graphics card to use your computer?Like do you have your monitor plugged into it?










I do not know anything really about computers how would i be able to find out what motherboard and power supply i have? all i know is i have a emachines windows vista 2gig comp lol dont know any of that other stuff.
m
0
l
a b U Graphics card
November 28, 2010 11:25:41 PM

When you go to BIOS, there should "Advanced/Advanced Options". Go to it. Look for "Video configuration" or anything similar. There could be an option like "Disable Integrated Graphics" or something similar. Disable it if it's not disabled yet. There also might be "Primary Video adapter", if so - select PCIe.
m
0
l
a c 214 U Graphics card
November 28, 2010 11:49:48 PM

^^^Tigrc is probably right, it's in your BIOS follow his instructions...

Just curious but the card listed is needing a 400 watt power supply,i know factory built pc's like the one you have,don't usually come with that big a supply,if you could find out.
How old is your comp?
m
0
l
November 28, 2010 11:51:27 PM

Quote:
When you go to BIOS, there should "Advanced/Advanced Options". Go to it. Look for "Video configuration" or anything similar. There could be an option like "Disable Integrated Graphics" or something similar. Disable it if it's not disabled yet. There also might be "Primary Video adapter", if so - select PCIe.


Alright well i went to it and wrote down all the options it has to click when i first get into the BIOS and here they are, Standard CMOS Setup, Advanced set up, Advanced chipset Setup, Integrated Peripherals and all this option has in it is - sata mode select - AHCI configuration - change the AHCI DID for LINU- HD audio - onboard LAN function - onboard LAN Boot ROM - USB function and - legacy usb support but the other options on the main screen are Power Management setup, PC health status, load default settings, supervisor password, and user password, That is all the options on the main screen of my BIOS, would any of those been what i need to change it to work for th graphics card i bought?
m
0
l
November 28, 2010 11:59:59 PM

Quote:
^^^Tigrc is probably right, it's in your BIOS follow his instructions...

Just curious but the card listed is needing a 400 watt power supply,i know factory built pc's like the one you have,don't usually come with that big a supply,if you could find out.
How old is your comp?



well how would i be able to find out how many watts my power supply is? is there a way i can find it out without having to open my computer? and im not sure lol got it for christmas last year but on the side on the sticker it says manufacturing date 2008/09/28 and its a emachines windows vista and says intel celeron dual core inside, whatever that means lol
m
0
l
a c 171 U Graphics card
November 29, 2010 12:01:11 AM

it may not be there at all. in my experience, a lot of newer motherboards dont have the option to disable on-board and it is not always required to get a pcie card to work. most of the time once you plug the card in, it works without touching bios. In your case you dont seem to have the option. you could reset to defaults to see if that helps.
m
0
l
November 29, 2010 12:05:40 AM

Quote:
it may not be there at all. in my experience, a lot of newer motherboards dont have the option to disable on-board and it is not always required to get a pcie card to work. most of the time once you plug the card in, it works without touching bios. In your case you dont seem to have t
he option. you could reset to defaults to see if that helps.


idk anything about computers really lol took a couple of computer classes in highschool so i know the basics just nothin like this lol i just wanna hurry and figure this out because its been like 2 days tried everything i knew then decided to find a place like this and get everyone elses help because i cant do it so ill try anything lol
m
0
l
a b U Graphics card
November 29, 2010 12:31:03 AM

I think the motherboard is quite new and it can't be disabled in BIOS. Are there any other slots, where you can put the graphics card? If so, try the other ones.
m
0
l
November 29, 2010 12:39:08 AM

Quote:
I think the motherboard is quite new and it can't be disabled in BIOS. Are there any other slots, where you can put the graphics card? If so, try the other ones.



well it says its a PCI graphics card and theres only 2 PCI spots and 1 is taken up with some other card that its in that has a phone line plug in or whatever on the back of it and theres another slot but thats a AGP slot i think because its an orange color socket thing so wouldnt the graphics card only work in a PCI spot?
m
0
l
a b U Graphics card
November 29, 2010 12:48:52 AM

Yup, you are right. I just thought maybe there is another free PCI slot to test.
m
0
l
November 29, 2010 1:09:36 AM

Quote:
Yup, you are right. I just thought maybe there is another free PCI slot to test.



oh well what should i do about this graphics card problem?
m
0
l
a b U Graphics card
November 29, 2010 1:28:10 AM

Do a complete re-install of windows with the graphics card on it. Backup your files, if any, format the drives and do a fresh install :)  It would be the best choice, I think.

You could also try uninstalling all of the video drivers through Remove Programs, try disabling the IGP in the device manager and then install the drivers for your 8400 GS. But if you can reinstall your windows, just do that.

If that fails, I have a reason to believe the 8400 is faulty.

If all of that fails,
m
0
l
November 29, 2010 1:41:03 AM

Quote:
Do a complete re-install of windows with the graphics card on it. Backup your files, if any, format the drives and do a fresh install :)  It would be the best choice, I think.

You could also try uninstalling all of the video drivers through Remove Programs, try disabling the IGP in the device manager and then install the drivers for your 8400 GS. But if you can reinstall your windows, just do that.

If that fails, I have a reason to believe the 8400 is faulty.

If all of that fails,


alright how would i reinstall my windows? and should i reinstall my windows with the new graphics card in? but idk how to back up my files and the reason fo rme buyin the new graphic card is to play a game on my comp and my gf plays her game on my comp so idk how id backup those files so if you could tell me how to do all that id appreciate it lol all ya gotta do is dumb it down for me n explain how to do it then ill be set and prob have it all ready so thanks if ya do that for me and thanks for the previous help.
m
0
l
a b U Graphics card
November 29, 2010 1:52:36 AM

Do you have a windows 7 installation disc? If not, you can't reinstall your windows :) 
m
0
l
November 29, 2010 2:00:52 AM

Quote:
Do you have a windows 7 installation disc? If not, you can't reinstall your windows :) 

lol alright so if i didnt have my cd would that other way work you think
m
0
l
a b U Graphics card
November 29, 2010 2:03:18 AM

It might work, yes. So, go to Remove Programs and list ALL of the programs there. I will tell you which to remove, so we can delete everything that should be deleted :) 
m
0
l
November 29, 2010 2:12:45 AM

Quote:
It might work, yes. So, go to Remove Programs and list ALL of the programs there. I will tell you which to remove, so we can delete everything that should be deleted :) 


alright im pretty sure im in the remove programs spot lol
m
0
l
November 29, 2010 3:19:55 AM

well i went and bought a new Geforce 8400 GS PCI 512bm DDR2 graphic card so i could game better on my computer but when i installed it and installed everything off the cd it doesnt show my new graphic card under device manager it just has the first one still under it and everything i seemed to try wouldnt work i disabled the first one and reinstalled my new one but it still doesnt read my new graphic card and i have an Emachines windows vista computer and says intel celeron Dual core inside, whatever that means but idk just need help installing this i have tried for 2 days now and finally decided to ask others
m
0
l
November 29, 2010 3:22:47 AM

sorry for the bump just need to figure this out lol
m
0
l
a b U Graphics card
November 29, 2010 3:27:03 AM

If you have another video card in your machine, remove it and put your new video card where the old one was.

If you do not have an old video card, you are using graphics built into the motherboard. You will need to go into BIOS setup and tell the PC to use PCI graphics instead of IGA (Integrated Graphics Adapter).

What make/model of emachine do you have? Maybe I can check for you.
m
0
l
November 29, 2010 3:29:59 AM

Quote:
If you have another video card in your machine, remove it and put your new video card where the old one was.

If you do not have an old video card, you are using graphics built into the motherboard. You will need to go into BIOS setup and tell the PC to use PCI graphics instead of IGA (Integrated Graphics Adapter).

What make/model of emachine do you have? Maybe I can check for you.


lol no idea what make or model it is idk *** bout computers is intel it?
m
0
l
a b U Graphics card
November 29, 2010 3:33:41 AM

You know you have an Emachines PC - which one? They made lots. Here's their current list:

http://www.emachines.com/products/

Somewhere in your documentation . . . receipt . . . somewhere lol.
m
0
l
November 29, 2010 3:36:42 AM

Twoboxer said:
You know you have an Emachines PC - which one? They made lots. Here's their current list:

http://www.emachines.com/products/

Somewhere in your documentation . . . receipt . . . somewhere lol.


oooh lol on the side of my computer it says ET1641-02w is that what your lookin for ? lol
m
0
l
a b U Graphics card
November 29, 2010 3:40:47 AM

I am going to sleep now, it's 5:36 AM in Ireland. I was away for a half an hour because Ireland has the first snow in many years, so me and my brother decided to build a snowman at night time. We are so happy with the snow... :D  Anyways, back to the topic.

List all the programs that are in the Remove Programs section. I will get back to you when I get my sleep... :D 
m
0
l
a b U Graphics card
November 29, 2010 3:41:58 AM

Maybe lol - let me go check.
m
0
l
November 29, 2010 3:43:12 AM

Twoboxer said:
Maybe lol - let me go check.


alright thanks lol
m
0
l
a b U Graphics card
November 29, 2010 3:57:25 AM

OK, the manual for your PC is generic, ie, it doesn't tell me much about what was actually installed or what your actual mobo looks like. So we need to go slowly:

When you installed your new video card, were there any other cards installed?

Which slot did you put the new card in . . . the slot closest to the processor (the thing under the fan) that fit?
m
0
l
November 29, 2010 3:57:54 AM

Quote:
I am going to sleep now, it's 5:36 AM in Ireland. I was away for a half an hour because Ireland has the first snow in many years, so me and my brother decided to build a snowman at night time. We are so happy with the snow... :D  Anyways, back to the topic.

List all the programs that are in the Remove Programs section. I will get back to you when I get my sleep... :D 


activation assistant for the 2007 microsoft office somethin, adobe flash player 10 active player10 activex, adobe flash player 10 plugin, adobe reader 8.1.2, advanced systemcare 3, bigfix, compatibility pack for the 2007 office system, cyberlink label print, cyberlink power2go, emachines recovery management, google chrome, google desktop, java 6 update 5, java 6 update 13, mcafee security center, microsoft .net frankwork 1.1, microsoft .net framework 3.5 sp1, microsoft .net framework 4 client profile, microsoft office home and student 2007, microsoft office powerpoint viewer 2007, microsoft silverlight, microsoft visual c 2005 ATL update kb973923, micrsoft visual c++ 2005 redistributable, microsoft works. microsoft wse 3.0 runtime, my web search, norton security scan, nvidia drivers, nvidia graphics driver 260.99, nvidia physx, realtek, revo uninstaller, soft data fax modem with smartcp, system requirements lab andddd windows live essentials 2011
m
0
l
November 29, 2010 4:01:24 AM

Twoboxer said:
OK, the manual for your PC is generic, ie, it doesn't tell me much about what was actually installed or what your actual mobo looks like. So we need to go slowly:

When you installed your new video card, were there any other cards installed?

Which slot did you put the new card in . . . the slot closest to the processor (the thing under the fan) that fit?


well it only has 2 PCI slots and there was already a chip in 1 PCI spot and it has like a phone jack plug in on the back but i dont exactly know what that is but my card fits with PCI so i put it in the 2nd slot
m
0
l
a b U Graphics card
November 29, 2010 4:13:28 AM

OK, the first card is probably a modem?

Normally video cards are happiest in the slot (that fits) closest to the processore, but lets forget that for now.

First thing we need to do is make sure you switched the video cable from the backpanel port it was connected to (integrated graphics) to the port on the back of your new graphics card. If you didn't do that, do that now.


If you did do that, and you have video, you ARE using your graphics card.

If you get NO video . . . put the cable back on the backpanel port to restore video.

The next thing we need to do is to get into BIOS setup. BIOS is the first thing that runs when you hit the power button. A set of options has been chosen via its setup program. It gets the PC ready to load Windows, then it loads the first record on the hard disk which begins transfer of control to WIndows.

We probably need to change one of those options.

To get into BIOS setup, restart your computer. during restart, hold down the F1 key. Instead of booting into windows, you should get a blue screen with text on it. Your mouse does not work here.

Learn how to navigate BIOS using your keyboard. Basic instructions will appear on thebottom of the screen, and/or the right hand side. If you screw anything up, or even think you have, choose the option that says "Exit BIOS without saving". It will discard your changes, boot through to WIndows, and you can restar and re-enter BIOS.

You need to find an option in BIOS that talks about which graphics to use. Before you change anything, I'd like you to tell me you've found that option, and what values you can set it to.

Exit BIOS without saving, and come back to me.
m
0
l
November 29, 2010 4:20:00 AM

Twoboxer said:
OK, the first card is probably a modem?

Normally video cards are happiest in the slot (that fits) closest to the processore, but lets forget that for now.

First thing we need to do is make sure you switched the video cable from the backpanel port it was connected to (integrated graphics) to the port on the back of your new graphics card. If you didn't do that, do that now.


If you did do that, and you have video, you ARE using your graphics card.

If you get NO video . . . put the cable back on the backpanel port to restore video.

The next thing we need to do is to get into BIOS setup. BIOS is the first thing that runs when you hit the power button. A set of options has been chosen via its setup program. It gets the PC ready to load Windows, then it loads the first record on the hard disk which begins transfer of control to WIndows.

We probably need to change one of those options.

To get into BIOS setup, restart your computer. during restart, hold down the F1 key. Instead of booting into windows, you should get a blue screen with text on it. Your mouse does not work here.

Learn how to navigate BIOS using your keyboard. Basic instructions will appear on thebottom of the screen, and/or the right hand side. If you screw anything up, or even think you have, choose the option that says "Exit BIOS without saving". It will discard your changes, boot through to WIndows, and you can restar and re-enter BIOS.

You need to find an option in BIOS that talks about which graphics to use. Before you change anything, I'd like you to tell me you've found that option, and what values you can set it to.

Exit BIOS without saving, and come back to me.



Alright well i wrote all of it down on paper incase you asked that
when i first get into the BIOS here is all the options i can pick - ,Standard CMOS Setup, Advanced set up, Advanced chipset Setup, Integrated Peripherals and all this option has in it is - sata mode select - AHCI configuration - change the AHCI DID for LINU- HD audio - onboard LAN function - onboard LAN Boot ROM - USB function and - legacy usb support but the other options on the main screen are Power Management setup, PC health status, load default settings, supervisor password, and user password, That is all the options on the main screen of my BIOS, would any of those been what i need to change it to work for th graphics card i bought?
m
0
l
a b U Graphics card
November 29, 2010 4:23:10 AM

Downarrow to move the cursor to "Integrated Peripherals" and hit enter. New page appears. Should be one of the options there. Navigate to the likely one, hit enter . . . we're looking for something like "use integrated graphics", "use PCIG", etc. Its likely set to "Use IGA" or similar right now.
m
0
l
November 29, 2010 4:29:03 AM

Twoboxer said:
Downarrow to move the cursor to "Integrated Peripherals" and hit enter. New page appears. Should be one of the options there. Navigate to the likely one, hit enter . . . we're looking for something like "use integrated graphics", "use PCIG", etc. Its likely set to "Use IGA" or similar right now.


well when i go into integrated peripherals it has these options to choose from - sata mode select - AHCI configuration - change the AHCI DID for LINU- HD audio - onboard LAN function - onboard LAN Boot ROM - USB function and - legacy usb support, would it be in any one of those? and on a precious thread when i asked someone said my motherboard might be newer where i cant change it in the BIOS but idk what that means lol.
m
0
l
a b U Graphics card
November 29, 2010 4:39:54 AM

Try Advanced Chipset Setup, then Advanced Setup . . . look through all of them lol.

Most brand name PCs come with a BIOS that's mostly locked down, so users like you and me can't screw it up. Or upgrade it lol.

But I need to ask again . . . Have you connected your monitor to your new video card? If so, what happens when you do that?

m
0
l
November 29, 2010 4:44:43 AM

Twoboxer said:
Try Advanced Chipset Setup, then Advanced Setup . . . look through all of them lol.

Most brand name PCs come with a BIOS that's mostly locked down, so users like you and me can't screw it up. Or upgrade it lol.

But I need to ask again . . . Have you connected your monitor to your new video card? If so, what happens when you do that?


well what am i lookin or exactly in the advanced chipset setup or advanced set up? idk any of the little terms like PCU or IGA whatever idk what any of that stuff means lol do just tell me what im lookin for like everything it could possibly say but yes i plugged it into my graphics card that i got but right now i took it out because when its connected to my graphics card all the icons are big and the computer is really laggy so i just took out my graphics card until i can figure out how to fix it.
m
0
l
a b U Graphics card
November 29, 2010 4:52:12 AM

OK stop.

Your graphics card was working fine.

Reinstall the video card, plug your monitor into the vid card, and adjust your desktop by right-clicking on it, click "Personalize", and find out how to change your resolution and after that, icon sizes if necessary.

As for laggy . . . you have a slow processor.

Glad the problem is now solved.
m
0
l
November 29, 2010 4:54:42 AM

Twoboxer said:
OK stop.

Your graphics card was working fine.

Reinstall the video card, plug your monitor into the vid card, and adjust your desktop by right-clicking on it, click "Personalize", and find out how to change your resolution and after that, icon sizes if necessary.

As for laggy . . . you have a slow processor.

Glad the problem is now solved.


ok well when i go under device manager it doesnt show my new graphics card under it and when i go under personalize and click the display it usually shows the graphics card but it doesnt show that anythings there and when i try running the game that i play it says failed to find a visual
m
0
l
a b U Graphics card
November 29, 2010 4:56:36 AM

If you cannect your monitor to the video card, and if you see anything on the screen, the vid card is working.

Go to the nVidia's web site and download/install the latest drivers.
m
0
l
November 29, 2010 4:59:12 AM

Quote:
If you cannect your monitor to the video card, and if you see anything on the screen, the vid card is working.

Go to the nVidia's web site and download/install the latest drivers.


do i download the new drivers before i put the graphics card back in or after i put it in?
m
0
l
a b U Graphics card
November 29, 2010 5:01:42 AM

After. With no drivers, Windows uses a generic driver . . . gives big icons :)  Live with it until you can install the new drivers.

You can DOWNLOAD the driver package now if you like, but do not install it until AFTER you have installed the vid card.
m
0
l
November 29, 2010 5:05:51 AM

Twoboxer said:
After. With no drivers, Windows uses a generic driver . . . gives big icons :)  Live with it until you can install the new drivers.

You can DOWNLOAD the driver package now if you like, but do not install it until AFTER you have installed the vid card.


kk think im missing somethin lol this is wher im at right now, my new graphics card is not inside my computer i took it out so it would run better until i figured it out and it says the newest driver for the 8400 graphic chip i have is nvidia driver 260.99 but i already have the nvidia driver 260.99 downloaded in my computer it says so do i uninstall that and put the graphic chip in and reinstall the nvidia driver 260.99 or what?
m
0
l
a b U Graphics card
November 29, 2010 5:09:26 AM

Download a fresh copy. Install the card. Connect the monitor to the card. Install the fresh copy of the driver.
m
0
l
November 29, 2010 5:11:16 AM

Twoboxer said:
Download a fresh copy. Install the card. Connect the monitor to the card. Install the fresh copy of the driver.

do i do that before i install everything off the disk?
m
0
l
a b U Graphics card
November 29, 2010 5:13:03 AM

Do what I told you.

Do nothing else.

Put the disk away.
m
0
l
November 29, 2010 5:14:52 AM

Twoboxer said:
Do what I told you.

Do nothing else.

Put the disk away.

alright ill tell ya how it goes brb lol
m
0
l
November 29, 2010 5:44:12 AM

1886337,24,309846 said:
Do what I told you.

Do nothing else.

Put the disk away.[/quotemsg

allright well i put the graphics card in and hooked it up to the graphics card and downloaded the driver again now what? its still laggy and all that and under display adapters in device manager it still shows my old graphics card which is a Geforce 7050
m
0
l
!