[graphic card] having troubles installing

coltpem

Distinguished
Nov 28, 2010
hello i have recently purchased a Geforce 8400 gs pci 512mb ddr2 graphics card and i have a emchines computer with windows vista and ive done everything that it says i disabled the internal one in device manager under display drivers but after i install the new one into the pci spot and install everything on the computer and retart everything and go back to device manager it doesnt read it like it doesnt display my new one it still says the old graphics card and i have it hooked up to the new graphics card and everything but i was just wondering if i missed something? would appreciate it if had a fast reply because its been 2 days trying to figure it out and its very very frustrating.

tigrc

Distinguished
Nov 27, 2010
There should be an option in the BIOS to disable the integrated graphics card. Did you try that? Also, did you uninstall ALL drivers that are somehow related to the integrated graphics card? If no, do that first, then do a clean install of the new 8400 GS drivers.

coltpem

Distinguished
Nov 28, 2010
Can you please list all of your computer specs.(CPU/RAM/Motherboard/Power Supply/etc.)
Are you using the graphics card to use your computer?Like do you have your monitor plugged into it?

I do not know anything really about computers how would i be able to find out what motherboard and power supply i have? all i know is i have a emachines windows vista 2gig comp lol dont know any of that other stuff.

tigrc

Distinguished
Nov 27, 2010
When you go to BIOS, there should "Advanced/Advanced Options". Go to it. Look for "Video configuration" or anything similar. There could be an option like "Disable Integrated Graphics" or something similar. Disable it if it's not disabled yet. There also might be "Primary Video adapter", if so - select PCIe.

^^^Tigrc is probably right, it's in your BIOS follow his instructions...

Just curious but the card listed is needing a 400 watt power supply,i know factory built pc's like the one you have,don't usually come with that big a supply,if you could find out.
How old is your comp?

coltpem

Distinguished
Nov 28, 2010
When you go to BIOS, there should "Advanced/Advanced Options". Go to it. Look for "Video configuration" or anything similar. There could be an option like "Disable Integrated Graphics" or something similar. Disable it if it's not disabled yet. There also might be "Primary Video adapter", if so - select PCIe.

Alright well i went to it and wrote down all the options it has to click when i first get into the BIOS and here they are, Standard CMOS Setup, Advanced set up, Advanced chipset Setup, Integrated Peripherals and all this option has in it is - sata mode select - AHCI configuration - change the AHCI DID for LINU- HD audio - onboard LAN function - onboard LAN Boot ROM - USB function and - legacy usb support but the other options on the main screen are Power Management setup, PC health status, load default settings, supervisor password, and user password, That is all the options on the main screen of my BIOS, would any of those been what i need to change it to work for th graphics card i bought?

coltpem

Distinguished
Nov 28, 2010
^^^Tigrc is probably right, it's in your BIOS follow his instructions...

Just curious but the card listed is needing a 400 watt power supply,i know factory built pc's like the one you have,don't usually come with that big a supply,if you could find out.
How old is your comp?

well how would i be able to find out how many watts my power supply is? is there a way i can find it out without having to open my computer? and im not sure lol got it for christmas last year but on the side on the sticker it says manufacturing date 2008/09/28 and its a emachines windows vista and says intel celeron dual core inside, whatever that means lol

it may not be there at all. in my experience, a lot of newer motherboards dont have the option to disable on-board and it is not always required to get a pcie card to work. most of the time once you plug the card in, it works without touching bios. In your case you dont seem to have the option. you could reset to defaults to see if that helps.

coltpem

Distinguished
Nov 28, 2010
it may not be there at all. in my experience, a lot of newer motherboards dont have the option to disable on-board and it is not always required to get a pcie card to work. most of the time once you plug the card in, it works without touching bios. In your case you dont seem to have t
he option. you could reset to defaults to see if that helps.

idk anything about computers really lol took a couple of computer classes in highschool so i know the basics just nothin like this lol i just wanna hurry and figure this out because its been like 2 days tried everything i knew then decided to find a place like this and get everyone elses help because i cant do it so ill try anything lol

coltpem

Distinguished
Nov 28, 2010
I think the motherboard is quite new and it can't be disabled in BIOS. Are there any other slots, where you can put the graphics card? If so, try the other ones.

well it says its a PCI graphics card and theres only 2 PCI spots and 1 is taken up with some other card that its in that has a phone line plug in or whatever on the back of it and theres another slot but thats a AGP slot i think because its an orange color socket thing so wouldnt the graphics card only work in a PCI spot?

tigrc

Distinguished
Nov 27, 2010
Do a complete re-install of windows with the graphics card on it. Backup your files, if any, format the drives and do a fresh install :) It would be the best choice, I think.

You could also try uninstalling all of the video drivers through Remove Programs, try disabling the IGP in the device manager and then install the drivers for your 8400 GS. But if you can reinstall your windows, just do that.

If that fails, I have a reason to believe the 8400 is faulty.

If all of that fails,

coltpem

Distinguished
Nov 28, 2010
Do a complete re-install of windows with the graphics card on it. Backup your files, if any, format the drives and do a fresh install :) It would be the best choice, I think.

You could also try uninstalling all of the video drivers through Remove Programs, try disabling the IGP in the device manager and then install the drivers for your 8400 GS. But if you can reinstall your windows, just do that.

If that fails, I have a reason to believe the 8400 is faulty.

If all of that fails,

alright how would i reinstall my windows? and should i reinstall my windows with the new graphics card in? but idk how to back up my files and the reason fo rme buyin the new graphic card is to play a game on my comp and my gf plays her game on my comp so idk how id backup those files so if you could tell me how to do all that id appreciate it lol all ya gotta do is dumb it down for me n explain how to do it then ill be set and prob have it all ready so thanks if ya do that for me and thanks for the previous help.

coltpem

Distinguished
Nov 28, 2010
well i went and bought a new Geforce 8400 GS PCI 512bm DDR2 graphic card so i could game better on my computer but when i installed it and installed everything off the cd it doesnt show my new graphic card under device manager it just has the first one still under it and everything i seemed to try wouldnt work i disabled the first one and reinstalled my new one but it still doesnt read my new graphic card and i have an Emachines windows vista computer and says intel celeron Dual core inside, whatever that means but idk just need help installing this i have tried for 2 days now and finally decided to ask others

If you have another video card in your machine, remove it and put your new video card where the old one was.

If you do not have an old video card, you are using graphics built into the motherboard. You will need to go into BIOS setup and tell the PC to use PCI graphics instead of IGA (Integrated Graphics Adapter).

What make/model of emachine do you have? Maybe I can check for you.

coltpem

Distinguished
Nov 28, 2010
If you have another video card in your machine, remove it and put your new video card where the old one was.

If you do not have an old video card, you are using graphics built into the motherboard. You will need to go into BIOS setup and tell the PC to use PCI graphics instead of IGA (Integrated Graphics Adapter).

What make/model of emachine do you have? Maybe I can check for you.

lol no idea what make or model it is idk *** bout computers is intel it?