Sign in with
Your question

Graphics card problem in new build

Last response: in Systems
February 1, 2011 3:44:41 PM

Hi all

Recently finished a new build but having problems with my graphics card. It powers on, with all fans running and i get mobo beeps without the graphics card in. But if i add the g-card and connect the auxillary power cables then it will not power up, no display, no beeps, no fans or HDD activity. If the auxillary power cables are removed, then all the fans spin up (including ones on the card) and mobo beeps, but still no display. Any ideas guys?

I5 2500k
Gigabyte geforce GTX 560
4gb ram
1tb hdd
650 watt Antec Truepower
Asus p8p67 mobo

a b B Homebuilt system
a b U Graphics card
February 1, 2011 3:55:15 PM

Welcome, Newcomer. My first assumptions would be bad GPU or ineffecient PSU.
If you can, test your GPU in another system, just to verify that it works. If it does work in another system, the focus on PSU.

Although the PSU 'should' be good enough to power up the GPU, it may be taking too much load with the GPU plugged in. Either test the PSU with a multimeter, checking that all wire voltage readings are within tolerance, or disconnect everything but the heatsink fan, CPU, and P1 connector.

The absence of display w/o the GPU plugged in concerns me. If you have on-board VGA, connect the monitor to it. Some mobos default to onboard VGA. I would also try doing a breadboard, just to rule out any case shorts.
m
l
February 1, 2011 5:26:08 PM

Hey, thanks for the reply. I disconnected everything but the essentials and the issue remained the same; it will power up and beep when the auxillary power leads to the graphics card aren't connected but will not power when they are.

Also the motherboard does not to have a VGA socket for me to test the integrated graphics on.

Additional observation; all the fans will twitch on for about half a second when the power button is pressed (with the aux leads plugged in), then turn off.

Unfortunately i don't have a spare graphics card to change, but i guess i'll order a cheap one and check.
m
l
Related resources
a b B Homebuilt system
a b U Graphics card
February 1, 2011 5:48:00 PM

5a1ty said:

Additional observation; all the fans will twitch on for about half a second when the power button is pressed (with the aux leads plugged in), then turn off.

This suggests there is a short somewhere. Try breadboarding:

1. Remove all connections to the mobo, except for heatsink fan/cpu cooler
2. Remove mobo from case, then place it on a non-conductive surface.
3. Install one stick of RAM
4. Install the GPU and the aux power cable
5. Reconnect the PSU (take it out of the case if necessary)
6. Connect the monitor cable to the GPU
7. Using a flathead screwdriver (or similar tool), jump the PWR_SW pins on your mobo.

Did this change the "twitch" of your fans?
m
l
February 1, 2011 6:07:26 PM

In terms of 'breadboarding' (i haven't done it before) i'm not really 100% sure about it. Would it be fairly safe for the components running it on say, the insulating bag the motherboard came on, placed on a wooden desk?

I really don't want to be blowing up a whole load of expensive shiney new gear :( 
m
l
a b U Graphics card
February 1, 2011 6:16:56 PM

an anti static bag should work, and a wooden desk. Make sure you dont place it on something wet or metal. You could even put it on the cardboard box your motherboard or case came in.
m
l
a b B Homebuilt system
a b U Graphics card
February 1, 2011 6:43:08 PM

What GPU are we talking about? The Antec TP-650 should be plenty for one GPU, as it handles mine quite nicely.
m
l
February 1, 2011 7:41:16 PM

boiler1990 said:
What GPU are we talking about? The Antec TP-650 should be plenty for one GPU, as it handles mine quite nicely.

Sorry, forgot to put this rather important bit of info in the post. It's a Gigabyte geforce GTX560.
m
l
February 1, 2011 7:45:00 PM

T_T said:
This suggests there is a short somewhere. Try breadboarding:

1. Remove all connections to the mobo, except for heatsink fan/cpu cooler
2. Remove mobo from case, then place it on a non-conductive surface.
3. Install one stick of RAM
4. Install the GPU and the aux power cable
5. Reconnect the PSU (take it out of the case if necessary)
6. Connect the monitor cable to the GPU
7. Using a flathead screwdriver (or similar tool), jump the PWR_SW pins on your mobo.

Did this change the "twitch" of your fans?

I tried the breadboard and it performed exactly as it did in the case. The twitch was exactly the same; only occuring when the aux power leads were attatched to the card. No display with or without the aux cables.
m
l
a b B Homebuilt system
a b U Graphics card
February 1, 2011 9:18:32 PM

OK. We've ruled out case shorts. With the problem remaining exactly as it did while inside the case, I'd say this is now very likely a GPU or PSU problem. I would try using the 560 in a different system, just to check. Checking the PSU voltages wouldn't hurt either.

Red = +5V
Yellow = +12V
Orange= +3.3V
Blue = -12V
Purple = +5V
Brown = +3.3V
Black = ground
m
l
a b U Graphics card
February 2, 2011 1:52:57 AM

Are you sure the 8 pin CPU 12v ATX is plugged in?
m
l
February 2, 2011 10:43:50 AM

daship said:
Are you sure the 8 pin CPU 12v ATX is plugged in?

yep it is.
m
l
February 2, 2011 6:58:39 PM

T_T said:
OK. We've ruled out case shorts. With the problem remaining exactly as it did while inside the case, I'd say this is now very likely a GPU or PSU problem. I would try using the 560 in a different system, just to check. Checking the PSU voltages wouldn't hurt either.

Red = +5V
Yellow = +12V
Orange= +3.3V
Blue = -12V
Purple = +5V
Brown = +3.3V
Black = ground

Hey. I switched out the new g-card for a different one and it all powered up fine. This means that the issue is very likely with the new card, right?

m
l
a b B Homebuilt system
a b U Graphics card
February 2, 2011 7:04:31 PM

5a1ty said:
Hey. I switched out the new g-card for a different one and it all powered up fine. This means that the issue is very likely with the new card, right?

Do you mean that you used a different card in your system and the display is now working? If so, then it is safe to assume there is a problem with the 560. However, testing your 560 in a different system would strengthen the assumption if the other system, using your 560, fail to show a display.
m
l
February 2, 2011 7:10:15 PM

T_T said:
Do you mean that you used a different card in your system and the display is now working? If so, then it is safe to assume there is a problem with the 560. However, testing your 560 in a different system would strengthen the assumption if the other system, using your 560, fail to show a display.

Yeah sorry that was unclear. I used a different card in my system and everything seems to be working properly, including the display.
m
l
a b B Homebuilt system
a b U Graphics card
February 2, 2011 7:26:33 PM

Nice. Looks like you've found the problem.
m
l
February 24, 2011 1:36:29 AM

Update: RMA'd it, and it was in fact a faulty graphics card.
m
l
!