Computer turns on and off.

azniza

Distinguished
Jan 25, 2011
My computer has been running fine for 2 years but now when it turn it on, it turns off again and again. What could be the problem? It turns on with all the fans running for 10 secs then turns off for a few seconds and repeat.

Things i've added recently was a soundblaster 2zs and I read my 2x1gb ram sticks had to go on the same colour. i had my 2x1 running on different colour slots.

and my sticks are 2.2 and I believe my mobo stock is 1.8 so I bumped it up .4.

could any of those had caused this and if so what could be the damages?

Thanks in advance.

Solution
If you can get your hands on a digital multimeter, test the voltages from the wires on the P1 connector, while the power is on.

Long shot here, but have you tried reversing your recent changes? Meaning, have you tried powering on with the soundblaster removed and/or with your RAM in the previous configuration?
COuld simply be your PSU has aged and is now marginal...

YOu can set your mem clocks to stock, and see if stability returns. check with mem manufacturer to see what voltage is requiired at whatever mem clocks/latencies your are running.

Reference your mb manual to find out which dual channel slots need populated in what order; you might not be able to hit as high a mem clock with dual channel access, but, the system would still likely be faster overall.

azniza

Distinguished
Jan 25, 2011
I can't even get into bios, computer turns on with fans really high for about 10 seconds and turns off. Nothing is displayed on my monitor. Fans on PSU,CPU, GPU, and case are all working.

I hope it's just the PSU, I was going to upgrade this week anyways.

Double check that the CPU heatsink fan is actually spinning. On a stock cooler, you won't hear it over the sound of the PSU, case, or GPU fans. I echo that possibility of a failing PSU, but just double check the heatsink fan. If this fan doesn't spin, or does a half spin, this would explain the absence of display and why your comp turns itself off.

azniza

Distinguished
Jan 25, 2011

Im not sure what you mean by that.
my system consists of:

Case- Antec 900
Mobo- Gigabyte P35-DS3R
PSU- COOLER MASTER eXtreme Power RP-600-PCAR 600W ATX from factor 12V V2.01
CPU- Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600 3.0GHZ
RAM- Crucial Ballistix 2gb - 2x1gb PC2-6400 CL4-4-4-12
GPU- Galaxy Geforce 8800gts 512mb (G92)
HDD- Seagate Barracuda 7200.11 500GB Sata2 8.5ms 32mb cache
Sound Blaster Audigy 2zs
LG DVD/CD RW Combo

and T_T, I am 100% the hsf is running. I opened my case and powered it on and all fans are working.

If you can get your hands on a digital multimeter, test the voltages from the wires on the P1 connector, while the power is on.

Long shot here, but have you tried reversing your recent changes? Meaning, have you tried powering on with the soundblaster removed and/or with your RAM in the previous configuration?

Solution

azniza

Distinguished
Jan 25, 2011
Thanks for all your help guys. I did what T_T said and switched them back from they way they were but that still didn't help. I then tried to power on with just one stick of ram and it worked! So I guess my other stick is dead? Maybe I didn't install them correctly? Glad it wasn't anything serious. Thanks again.

TRENDING THREADS