Sign in with
Your question
Solved

Newbie dumb question on MB/cpu and upgrading.

Last response: in Systems
February 1, 2011 5:55:21 PM

I started compiling component for a new build including sandy bridge, asus deluxe mb BUT -- now with the news of faulty chip Im gonna return both.

question is:

if I start a new build and put in an old MB and cpu into my new case (amd phenom and its board and in the future when I get the updated and fixed intel chip/mb, will I have to reinstall programs again? ie reinstall windows since I am going from amd to intel?

I know likely not. probably dumb question. But Ill throw it out there. thanks in advance.

the reason Im doing this is because i got a shiny new 570 video card and HAF X case sitting there. At least it will be practice for a newbie and use of some of the products that i ordered.
February 1, 2011 6:06:36 PM

You will most likely have to reinstall windows and all your programs when you switch motherboards. If you are running Windows 7 you might be able to get away with it. The SB issue is with the SATA 3GB/s ports, if you swap your devices over to the SATA 6GB/s ports you wont be affected, and you can wait until you can a replacement from Asus.

Best solution

a b B Homebuilt system
February 1, 2011 6:12:04 PM

Yes, you will have to reinstall your OS. In fact, you should format the HDD to avoid conflicting software. Basically when you replace a mobo, its an entire new build. The only time you wouldn't have to format the hdd is when you're replacing the current mobo for the exact same model mobo.

You're not just looking at the OS, but also registry entries for the AMD-based mobo. The drivers that are installed for the AMD mobo will not control the components on the Intel mobo. Without the supporting software for the mobo, you will experience insufferable outrages due to the continuous instabilities.
Related resources
a c 90 B Homebuilt system
February 1, 2011 6:20:15 PM

Hello mrgiggles;
Hold off on any return plans. It's only the 3GB/s SATA ports that are 'possibly affected'. There's about a 5% chance a problem could develop over 3 years.....and you can get a replacement board any time in the future. Why not enjoy what you already have now till the new 'stuff' is ready to go?
You'd be left with the rest of the parts just gathering dust in a corner.

A 'clean install' of the OS is really the best way to go forward in a completely new build like you have. This isn't a minor upgrade.
a c 90 B Homebuilt system
February 1, 2011 6:25:02 PM

More details. Mostly importantly - don't panic. This is a 'degrage over time' issue - not an outright immediate failure.
Bug in 6-Series Chipset: Analysis
February 2, 2011 1:15:17 AM

Best answer selected by mrgiggles.
!