Sign in with
Your question
Solved

Need advise on setting up new build

Last response: in Systems
February 1, 2011 6:26:05 PM

Hi first of all, let me thank everyone here for all the help. After over a year of planning and saving I have finnaly peiced to gether my first build, and I am completely addicted. right now I have this set up.

Monitor:
52 inch sharp LED HD TV @ 1080p

cpu
I7-950 @ stock speeds

memory:
12 Gb(6x2) Gskill @ 1333 9-9-9-24

mobo:
Gigabyte-x58A-ud3r

Optical
LG Blu-ray burner

HDD:
500Gb samsung

case:
thermal take armour +mx half

power suply:
750 antec eathwatts

Windows 7 64 bit

If any one has any settings I should change to get the most out of my rig, please post it, it would be greatly appreciated. I havent messed with the OS settings much and havent touched the registry or anything technical. I also am debating my next upgrade. I want to get an SSD for the OS and was confused about trim with raid and such. Running at 6gb/s I know there have been some speculatios that the chipset sucks. Is that true/proven, also would it be faster to run two say (Crucial ReAL SSD's) in raid 0 is trim still an issue (I cant find an up to date review). also I was planning on another 6870 in crossfire (Any benifit at 1080p?), and will my psu take this load. also I have read that using all the memory slots bottleneck the chipset(True/false/Proven?) if so should I sell my memory and buy a faster 3x4 kit?(any sugestions) Money is not so much an issue as I am putting back about 100$s a month, but i'm not so patient. I just wanted to know what I should do and what to do first. I am also having a problem playing blu rays. They are all jittery when I try to play using power DVD 8 (the free version that came with the lg bluray drive) do i need to register this? or is it a problem with my hardware? or do i need a different software alltogether. Thank you all so much again i appreciate it.

More about : advise setting build

a c 90 B Homebuilt system
February 1, 2011 6:32:34 PM

Hello leif2006;

See if you can get an upgrade to the ver 8 PowerDVD as a first step to solving the Blu-Ray jitters.

In what type of usage are you unhappy with the system's performance at the moment? That's the area to start looking at upgrades.

m
l
February 1, 2011 6:39:08 PM

probably my HDDs first but i want to get the most out of my gpu and memory. If I wont see any perfomance gain from crossfire at 1080p, I wont worry about it. same with the memory in 3 slots compared to all 6. but as far as ssds go the questions above have me boggled would two SSD's in raid 0 at 6gb/s on the marvell chip be the best way to go, I have read sooooo many reviews with no real bearing
m
l
Related resources
February 1, 2011 6:41:20 PM

and I am using the power DVD ver 8, but it isnt registered I'm wondering if thats the problem, BD advisors says my gpu drivers are the problem but from what I can tell i have the latest. Ive updated CCC is that the same as the GPU drivers, cuz thats all I can find on AMD and saphires websites
m
l

Best solution

a b B Homebuilt system
February 1, 2011 6:41:21 PM

Yeah, you'll want Version 9 or 10 for the best Blu-ray playback. I have PowerDVD 10 Ultra 3D and it works really well.
February 1, 2011 6:51:49 PM

since there are a number of questions in this post I'm going to select a best ansew for the blu ray issue and break this post up into the approprate forums to give credit where it due thanks boiler, thats what I was affraid of.
m
l
February 1, 2011 6:52:06 PM

Best answer selected by leif2006.
m
l
a c 90 B Homebuilt system
February 1, 2011 6:52:50 PM

Leif2006 said:
i want to get the most out of my gpu and memory.
Explain further.... how is your current system's performance not meeting your expectations?
m
l
February 1, 2011 7:04:24 PM

well I dont want to run crossfire if it will only boost performance at higher resolutions, and I have heard that using all the slots can bottlenech the system so I was thinking about selling my memory and getting a nice 3x4 set instead. i just want to balance everything and get the best posible perfomance I can at 1080p with my CPU
m
l
February 1, 2011 7:05:37 PM

ive moved this post to the memory section if you want to post there so I can give you the best answer if you have any input
m
l
!