Sign in with
Your question

K330 lenovo

Last response: in Systems
February 1, 2011 7:02:54 PM

I am curious to receive some thoughts from those who know more than me.
Lenovo is launching their K330 line soon however some online vendors (amazon) have them in pre-configured units at very reasonable prices. One has a core i7 2600 (it doesn't list 2600k unfortunately), 8 GB of Ram, etc.
My question is with the new defects with the sandy river chipsets, specifically the 3.0 GB/sec SATA connectors. I understand the 2 6.0 GB/sec SATA connectors work fine. If I were to by this unit, I was planning on installing a SSD as a primary drive and a 1TB secondary drive. I have seen examples of both drives seen both using the 6.0 Gb/sec formats that aren't terribly expensive. I would also ditch the OEM graphics card for a crossfire set of ATI cards (any suggestions?)
Unfortunately, I've not seen which motherboard lenovo is using on the K330's, so I don't know how many PCI-E x 16 slots are available.
Would this seem like a reasonable thing to try or would I be better off going with an AMD build vs. waiting until Sandy bridge is fixed or even better yet wait for "Ivy bridge" which is supposed to offer better SSD support?
Thanks

More about : k330 lenovo

February 5, 2011 10:46:03 PM

I think these OEM manufacturers are using some OEM mobos, likely Foxconn or something similar. It's hard to say how many PCI-e slots are there available, unless you ask their customer support.
m
l
February 5, 2011 11:01:52 PM

Hello douglasmeier;
I think you'll find for the most part that you'll be unable to buy the systems even if you can see them.
You'd want to check on the PSU before committing to a CrossfireX setup. I'd be surprised if they have much more than a 400W PSU.
m
l
Related resources
February 6, 2011 12:30:13 AM

WR2 said:
Hello douglasmeier;
I think you'll find for the most part that you'll be unable to buy the systems even if you can see them.
You'd want to check on the PSU before committing to a CrossfireX setup. I'd be surprised if they have much more than a 400W PSU.

Thanks, I'm not sure about availability either, especially given the sandy bridge "issues" but the Lenovo K330 series looks promising. Per their website they will offer a the following (see below). Notice the "Dual ATI Radeon™ HD5750 1GB graphics with ATI CrossFireXTM, DirectX® 11" All of the this is to be available when ordering from their website later this month. Unfortunately, they don't list the things like the motherboard or the PS as you wondered about. My hope was to get a lesser equipped model through amazon.com and beef it up with the nicer amenities (e.g a SSD, dual radeon cards, etc.) for far less by purchasing them through newegg and adding them myself

Lenovo IdeaCentre K330 Technical Specifications
Processor
2nd Generation Intel
® Core™ i7-2600QC Processor with Intel Turbo Boost Technology* 2.0
(3.40GHz, 8MB Cache)
2nd Generation Intel
® Core™ i5-2500QC Processor with Intel Turbo Boost Technology* 2.0
(3.40GHz, 8MB Cache)
2nd Generation Intel
® Core™ i5-2400QC Processor with Intel Turbo Boost Technology* 2.0
(3.30GHz, 6MB Cache)
operating
System
Genuine Windows® 7 Professional
Genuine Windows® 7 Home Premium
Genuine Windows® 7 Home Basic
video Graphics
Dual ATI Radeon™ HD5750 1GB graphics with ATI CrossFireXTM, DirectX® 11
ATI Radeon™ HD 5750 1GB graphics with DirectX® 11
ATI Radeon™ HD 5450 512MB graphics with DirectX® 11
NVIDIA® GeForce® GTX 460 1GB graphics with DirectX® 11
NVIDIA® GeForce® GT 440 1.5GB graphics with DirectX® 11
NVIDIA® GeForce® GT 420 1GB graphics with DirectX® 11
memory Up to 16GB DDR3 1333MHz memory
Hard Disk Drive
320GB/500GB/1TB/2TB 7200rpm (for single HDD configuration), 2* 320GB/500GB/1TB/2TB 7200rpm
(for dual HDD configuration) with RAID 0 support + optional 32/64GB SSD (for RapidDrive)
optical Drive DVD/DVD Rambo/BR Combo/BR Rambo
Sound Supports 7.1 digital surround sound (speakers not included)
Integrated
communications
802.11bgn WiFi, 10/100/1000M LAN
connectors
15-in-1 card reader, 8xUSB2.0 ports (2xfront, 6xrear), USB3.0 (optional), eSATA, PS/2®, TV in with
optional TV Tuner, AV in with optional TV Tuner
camera -
other Features Matching keyboard and USB (optical) mouse
weight 29.76 lb (13.5kg)
Dimensions 180x465x408mm (WxHxD)
Included
Software*
Lenovo Rescue System, Lenovo Dynamic Brightness System, Lenovo Eye Distance, WinDVD® 8.0,
WinDVD® 8.0 (Blu-ray Disc™ support), McAfee®, Microsoft Office Starter 2010 (for WW exclude Japan),
Microsoft Office Home & Business 2010 (only for Japan),Power2Go 6.0 or Power2Go BD (Blu-ray Disc™
support), Backontrack 3.0 and Power Dial 2.0
*Software may vary by region.
m
l
February 6, 2011 1:09:29 AM

Nothing about the PSU or the number of PCI-e video card slots shown there.
I know the website ordered Dells with the upgraded video cards used to get an upgrade PSU as well.
You're not going to get that option buying an off the shelf model at a brick & mortar store or sites like Amazon or NewEgg that aren't able to do customization.
But you could also upgrade the PSU yourself too. Pay special attention to the motherboard situation that house70 mentioned.
m
l
February 11, 2011 5:30:49 PM

I have the K330 7727-1SU it has 2 PCI-e (total one has the video card) one is empty. Also the has 2 mini PCI-e slots.

I put a 64g SSD drive for the OS and this workstation is really fast.

I might try to put more then 16G this system today. The cpu will support 32G.
m
l
!