Is it possible to take apart the pushpins for LGA 775 heatsinks?

krej

Distinguished
Apr 30, 2011
Hello,

I just got a new Xigmatek HDT S1283 and started putting things together all willy nilly and put the push pins together without putting them in the heatsink brackets first.

Now obviously I can't get them in the heatsink brackets, but I can't seem to take them apart. I tried turning the black piece clockwise so there were no little bumps it had to try to get over, but no matter how hard I pull on them they won't budge.

Am I screwed because I built the push pins too early?

krej

Distinguished
Apr 30, 2011
I don't think you understood my problem completely. The push pins aren't attached to the motherboard at all. They aren't attached to the heatsink either. The little black and clear parts that make up the push pin are connected to each other, and that's it.

I need to take them apart so I can connect them to the heatsink, so I can then mount it, but I can't seem to take them apart.

You can take those apart, with a small flat screw driver you can gently lift a tab to allow the black pin to release from the greyish clearing part. Take your time, it is easy to break the tab it self.

I will get you a picture

Turn the pin all the way to the right before doing this, it will only come out if turned that way

Very gently lift that tab and pull the pin out. It looks like no bump, but its there.
intelpin.jpg

Free at last!!
intelpin1.jpg