Replacing Thermal Paste - Remove CPU from socket?

boomer2point0

Distinguished
Jul 7, 2008
I've been using a CoolerMaster heatsing on my i7-820 for more than a year now. When I moved my pc this weekend the heatsink came loose and it appears the thermal paste on the contacts has outlived its usefulness (its dry, and my assumption is that when the seal is broken its not of much use anymore).

Been reading up on cleaning thermal paste and re-applying. But I'm curious as to whether I should physically remove my cpu from the socket? If I do this, should I have to format or anything or will everything just boot up as per normal?

Solution

+1
by not removing the cpu it reduces chance of pins or socket being damaged
or having something conductive falling in socket for example Artic Silver 5 silver paste

+1
by not removing the cpu it reduces chance of pins or socket being damaged
or having something conductive falling in socket for example Artic Silver 5 silver paste

Solution

Yes, you don't need to, but I would. I would apply it well it was in the motherboard though. Just to make sure it was clean I would take it out.

a4rocks

Distinguished
Apr 9, 2011
+1 to all the above. It depends on what you are personally comfortable with. I never liked removing the CPU because the one time I took it out, the pins totally scared me as one clumsy move and you might end up with a dead mobo which may as well go into the garbage.

My recent heatsink clean and application involved not removing the CPU but carefully wiping off the previous thermal paste with the CPU in socket. Do remember to use a reasonable amount of alcohol when cleaning. Too much and some of it might just seep into the CPU socket.

Can just taking the CPU out of socket ruin it? I don't think it can, so if you are careful, it won't really matter. The pins aren't that easy to break. I mean, if you screw around with them they are easy, but if you hold it by the sides and are very careful, you will be fine.

someguynamedmatt

Distinguished
Wayne Gretzky FTW. I'm personally a Jagr fan, but oh well... ehem...
I see what you're saying, Hostile, and yes, you lessen the chance of damage by being careful. By not taking it out at all, though, there are zero chances of damaging a pin at all, which I feel is enough to counter the fact that you might not get every last micron of compound out of a corner somewhere. Just my $0.02.

Yeah, either way is fine, I would just take it out. I trust myself. :lol: What does my 2 cents mean?

No not at all
I was joking with Davcon
He is major canadian hockey fanatic :)

Really he is first person with the same answer as me
and should have had Best Answer so he is upset in a friendly way

Heh!!!

I have swapped many CPUs
but for example I refurbed a S478 tower for my
wife as a browser/email maching
so I popped off the HSF and cleaned the heat spreader
instead of taking out CPU

If anybody remembers the horrors of the P4 Socket 478 cpu pin days
you DO NOT want to remove it if you dont have to LOL :)

You guys that started off with LGA775 (Land Grid Array style pads)
dont know how easy you have it

cadder

Distinguished
Nov 17, 2008
I've only had to clean old compound off one time- on a CPU that was a couple of years old. The compound wiped off pretty well just with a rag, then I used a rag moistened with alcohol to get the rest of it off. If the compound was harder or had dried more, it might have taken more effort and removing the cpu from the socket might have been helpful.

Refurbishing 101
1) find a good deal on off lease or office upgrade towers and buy as a lot
2) blow out tower with canned air and then use a diagnostic tool (Hirens Boot Cd, Memtest86 etc) and check
hard drive SMART status,memory erros,motherboard,optical read/write etc
3) if it passes all tests then install fresh legal OS (use existing COA on tower)
4) once OS is installed then clone the drive if all computers are the same model
and image the rest
5) run Prime95 with temp monitoring for at least an hour or more
to check stability

if you really want to be good then remove HSF and clean/apply fresh
paste WITHOUT REMOVING THE CPU LOL

then use Craigslist,consignment shops,flea markets etc to sell
towers for %100 profit :)