Sign in with
Your question
Closed

ASUS Motherboard Computer not booting (DRam light is flashing)

Last response: in Motherboards
January 5, 2012 4:33:39 AM

Hello,

My computer specs are below
Asus M4A89GTD Pro / USB3
AMD Phenom II X6 1055T
Powercolor Radeon 6850 HD
2x2GB Kingstom Hyper X Ram

Now I overclocked my computer and I used the Turbo V program to do it so the computer overclocked itself. After that I started getting BSODs and computer freezes. Then When I tried to start up, it said overclock error so I seleted an option to reset to default settings.

I turned off my computer for a little bit, tried to reboot and it works. After a while of use it freezes. I forcibly turn it off (flip the power supply switch). Then i tried to turn it back on right after. Then nothing shows up on the monitor. Its just black. I look at the motherboard and the Red DRAM light just continuously flashes. i dont know what the problem is. The ram has worked fine all this time and all of a sudden it seems to be acting up.

Best solution

January 5, 2012 1:28:22 PM

The first thing I'd check is the RAM using MemTest86+

First, go find MemTest86+ from the interwebs and put it on a disc. Then, unplug your machine from the wall and remove one stick of RAM. You might need to look at your motherboards manual because I think the single stick needs to be moved from the second position to the first (closest to the processor) but I could be wrong... just double-check this. When you have your single stick of RAM in place, power your machine back on and boot from the disc. This will load the memory test. The memory test will, as the name suggests, test your memory using a series of pre-defined tests in hopes of exposing errors. It'll run indefinitely so you can stop it at any time, but I prefer to run it for 12 hours just to ensure that it had plenty of time to run - one pass could return errors and the next might not. After a lengthy period of testing note how many errors (if any) were found by writing it on a post-it note. Then, power down and unplug your machine. Remove the stick you just tested and stick the post-it note to the side; replace it with the other stick you didn't test. Re-run test. If you're getting memory errors then that could be the reason of your BSODs and it might explain why your DRAM light is flashing. Not sure, though.

If you are able to boot into Windows open up your Event Viewer (by typing 'Event Viewer' in the Run box or going through Administrative Tools in the Control Panel). When you have the event viewer open, expand your 'Windows Logs' on the left and select 'System'. Then, create a filter for the current log and say you want to see only 'Critical' events. Press Ok and let us know what you see.

HTH
a b Ĉ ASUS
a c 76 V Motherboard
January 5, 2012 1:34:17 PM

Just press the MemOK switch/button on the Mobo after reseating the RAMs in same colored slots.
Boot it up and check.
Read the MemOK documentation in the manual before you do that. You should be fine.
Related resources
January 6, 2012 2:12:15 AM

Thanks for the replies. However, I got the memtest to work with the one stick in at a time. When I did this, there were no errors. However, when i ran the memtest with both sticks in at once (took many retries to even get the computer to POST with the two sticks in at once) I got so many errors. What do you think can be the problem in this case?

The computer has been running fine for a year know with those specs. THe only thing that has changed just before the problems has started was me upgrading the heatsink and cooler. After I did that, the CPU ran cooler than normal. I then decided to use TurboV to overclock. Do you think overclocking messed up the ram so 2 cant work together, or even messed up the mobo.
a b Ĉ ASUS
a c 76 V Motherboard
January 6, 2012 2:55:05 AM

memTest is a program to check RAMs right? :)  MemOK is a physical way to set the RAM into matching each other and the Mobo....
Why go thru all the pain wen the Mobo you're using is equipped with a more intelligent way than you to test and match stuff???
Ahhhh.... reading the manual is what you don't want to do, is that reason?
If that is the case, the best thing for you is Buy a new Mobo and RAM and throw the old ones away, that should be the easiest way.
January 6, 2012 3:04:06 AM

alyoshka said:
memTest is a program to check RAMs right? :)  MemOK is a physical way to set the RAM into matching each other and the Mobo....
Why go thru all the pain wen the Mobo you're using is equipped with a more intelligent way than you to test and match stuff???
Ahhhh.... reading the manual is what you don't want to do, is that reason?
If that is the case, the best thing for you is Buy a new Mobo and RAM and throw the old ones away, that should be the easiest way.

Usually when the ram needs to be Ok'ed, the light stays red, then you hold the button then it starts flashing. After that, the mem is Ok'ed and the computer boots.

But when I have the two ram chips in, the red light continually flashes slowly( no solid red or anything). I then hold the MemOK button, then it just flashes faster(at the speed it usually flashes when doing a MemOK process). Then it goes back to flashing slowly again.
a b Ĉ ASUS
a c 76 V Motherboard
January 6, 2012 3:11:35 AM

Tried the combination in the next pair of Slots? What slots have you placed the RAMs in?
January 9, 2012 4:45:29 PM

Problem doesn't occur no more. I plugged out everything and plugged in back in. Even the CPU as well.
January 9, 2012 4:46:38 PM

Best answer selected by pacmanandre.
January 25, 2012 8:59:45 PM

Ok you guy's I am having the same problem on the first boot of a build I reset the mem and changed the dram and reset the cmos I did this several times but the mem ends up staying on.

I don't know what else to try>>>>>>>>>>need more help any ideas?
a b Ĉ ASUS
a c 328 V Motherboard
January 25, 2012 9:51:27 PM

jackdevon said:
Ok you guy's I am having the same problem on the first boot of a build I reset the mem and changed the dram and reset the cmos I did this several times but the mem ends up staying on.

I don't know what else to try>>>>>>>>>>need more help any ideas?

Hi there jackdevon,

Open a new question thread on your problem, that is the best way to get helped : )
a b Ĉ ASUS
a c 328 V Motherboard
January 25, 2012 9:51:41 PM

This topic has been closed by Nikorr
!