Sign in with
Your question

Computer Crashed and Wont Start

Last response: in CPUs
May 1, 2011 2:11:04 AM

The other day there was a power surge and my computer crashed. I tried to turn it back on and it would not start. I took off the side and tried to see what was going on and saw that nothing was happening inside the case. I unplugged the power supply and turned he switch on and off couple of times and when I tried turning it back on an LED on the motherboard would flash for a second and the case fan would start for a second and then stop.

I assumed there was a problem with the power supply so I got a new one but after trying to start the computer the same problem happened again with the motherboard and fan turning on for half a second before stopping.

Just wondering what the problem cold be, I am guessing that it might be my CPU but I'm not sure. I also thought that it wouldn't be the motherboard because at least one LED is lighting up when I try to start.

Also, it only turns n a for a second after I unplug the power supply and turn the switch on and off a couple times. After the first try where it lights up it does nothing if I try again without unplugging the power supply.
a b à CPUs
a b ) Power supply
a b V Motherboard
May 1, 2011 3:16:01 PM

Take out the mobo and place it on a table with some cardboard under it (or any non conductive material). Place the case next to it and connect its power button cable to the motherboard. Remove the BIOS battery on the motherboard for a while and put it back in.
http://i.imgur.com/gGMqF.gif
Remove the RAM. Connect the PSU and test that (only the CPU and the motherboard).

If it shows some activity or if it beeps, power off, put in a stick of RAM and try with it.
m
l
May 1, 2011 9:11:09 PM

mosox said:
Take out the mobo and place it on a table with some cardboard under it (or any non conductive material). Place the case next to it and connect its power button cable to the motherboard. Remove the BIOS battery on the motherboard for a while and put it back in.
http://i.imgur.com/gGMqF.gif
Remove the RAM. Connect the PSU and test that (only the CPU and the motherboard).

If it shows some activity or if it beeps, power off, put in a stick of RAM and try with it.

Can you be more specific? I'm not really sure what any of that means. Are you saying to take out the motherboard with everything on it, or by itself? Should I take out all the other components?Do I leave the power supply in the case when I connect it? Could you just explain each step a little more clearly? Thanks.
m
l
Related resources
a c 103 à CPUs
a c 104 ) Power supply
a b V Motherboard
May 1, 2011 9:52:10 PM

http://www.tomshardware.co.uk/forum/288241-13-read-post...

Sections three and four will be the most useful for you,
but yes, Mosox means take it all apart and place the motherboard (with cpu/heatsink assembly and at least one stick of ram installed)
put it on a cardboard/wood surface then wire it up and try to boot,
if you have no onboard graphics, youll need to leave the graphics card in too, dont worry about hard drives etc at this point though
when you remove the mobo from the case, take note of where the front panel wires go, you will need to put them back to power up the pc using the powerbutton once its all on the work area.
**edit, you can leave the psu in the case if you wish, although it may be easier to work with if you remove it**
but read through the link I posted, theres lots of help in there if you get stuck
Moto
m
l
May 2, 2011 1:02:34 AM

I just want to see if I have this clear. I should take out the motherboard, CPU, GPU, 1 stick of ram and PSU out of the case and place it on the motherboard box. Then plug the power cord into the PSU, plug the power switch cords from the case into the motherboard then press the power switch button?

If thats correct, what should I look for afterwards so I can tell which component is the problem? Like how will I be able to tell whether its the PSU, CPU or motherboard thats not working?
m
l
a c 103 à CPUs
a c 104 ) Power supply
a b V Motherboard
May 2, 2011 9:46:08 AM

To the first bit, yes

if you follow the troubleshooting guide I posted you will know how to check the psu to make sure that it powers up,

Test the psu on its own, plug it in and short the green pin on the big 20/4 pin block with any one of the black pins,
this simulates you pressing the powerbutton and should turn the unit on, if it fails even this test, you can be sure its the psu at fault,

once thats done, unplug the psu from the wall.

on your safe area, plug the 20/4 pin block into the mobo as well as the 4/8pin cpu power block, it needs both to function, also if you dont have onboard graphics, you'll need to install the graphics card and any power cables that it requires,
one stick of Ram and the front power switch
connect either your mobo's graphics or the card to your monitor,
plug the psu back in (make sure if its a switchable psu that its set on the correct voltage for your area 110/240)
press the power button and you should get the pc to post, if not, post back here anything that occurs
plus if you can list your components for us, it can help us a little more, sometimes certain models of parts have quirks
Moto
Moto

m
l
!