AHHHHH!!!! Is my 5870 a bust!? Third ATI card gone bad.

Hello world! :hello:

Yesterday I purchased a ASUS Radeon 5870(voltage tweaker) and played games and watched movies with minor problems...minor. Today I wake up to Grey screens, failed driver installations, sound card software wont work, videos can play, random freezing.

I decided to run OCCT, furmark and Prime. I down clocked the card to defaults and it shows alot of errors on all test. Not only that Smart Doctor, MSI afterburner and river turner cannot adjust the voltage and ATI tools does not detect the card. I previously Had a Radeon 4890, I ran ccleaner and driver sweeper the old drivers and software and manually checked to make sure that nothing is left from the old card.

Firefox cant play videos, IE wont open, My WMP, VLC and Zune player crash and receive error "Server execution failed" on my videos :fou: . I reinstalled adobe flash but that's not the prob. No videos play, Apps crashing and the cards temps are 30 to 40's (checked with GPU z, and Tuner) My instance tell me its the card but before I go back to Microcenter. Did anyone else go threw this? I hear alot about 5XXXX cards drivers and faulty hardware. Im hearing that GTX 480 whisper in my ear... :whistle:
14 answers Last reply
More about ahhhhh 5870 bust card
  1. What PSU are you using? Three bad ATI cards would make me start looking for another issue.
  2. COLGeek said:
    What PSU are you using? Three bad ATI cards would make me start looking for another issue.

Hey, thanks for the early response. Antec earth watt 750. Had it for a year, I had a xfx 4890 CF before on another PSU, one died so I got another and bought the PSU im using now. Then shortly the other 4890 gave me problems. So I got a 5870 now this one is going wild. Also I switched to new MB and Platform (Intel I7).
  3. So, hard to see what the common thread is because of the changes in your hardware baseline. Sounds like 2 of your GPUs died with your current PSU? Is that correct?

Also, what else are you OCing?
  4. COLGeek said:
    So, hard to see what the common thread is because of the changes in your hardware baseline. Sounds like 2 of your GPUs died with your current PSU? Is that correct?

Also, what else are you OCing?

I changed the PSU after one of my 4890's died cause I tested the voltage on it and it was low. Then after that RMA it and bought a new PSU. everything went smooth then the other one died. So I stuck with one 4890. Then recently that one went bad. The only thing I am OC'in right now is the CPU. everything else is stock settings. I can't install CCC the installation fails but the drivers do update and my creative console launch says its not supported on the card but it worked fine yesterday. Firefox is the only browser that works but I cannot play videos, when i try to play movies I get errors. Im sorry if I confused you.
  5. Try this.

First, set the CPU back to default speeds (just a basic troubleshooting procedure).
    Next, download and install DriverSweeper (http://www.guru3d.com/category/driversweeper/)
    Run DriverSweeper and then re-install CCC (get the most current version from ATI.com).

Running all at stock, see if the system stabilizes. Sounds like you may have a wonky CCC/driver install.
  6. COLGeek said:
    Try this.

First, set the CPU back to default speeds (just a basic troubleshooting procedure).
    Next, download and install DriverSweeper (http://www.guru3d.com/category/driversweeper/)
    Run DriverSweeper and then re-install CCC (get the most current version from ATI.com).

Running all at stock, see if the system stabilizes. Sounds like you may have a wonky CCC/driver install.

Right on, Im going to re-track my steps. Something I did wrong, hopefully I wont have to send the card back. I'm testing everything in my system while I'm at it. Funny though, cause alot of my software are going bonkers. I cannot install any new programs I get a .Net runtime error, So im checking my Ram, and Hard drives too. Something is telling me something else is not right. Will post back with results. Thanks COLgeek! Keep you updated.
  7. sounds like a time to restart, i'd go as far as to backup your data, wipe your main drive and fresh install OS mobo drivers and graphics drivers see if you get stability with stock clocks on a fresh install then move on from there

*edit* spelling
  8. g00fysmiley said:
    sounds like a time to restart, i'd go as far as to backup your data, wipe your main drive and fresh install OS mobo drivers and graphics drivers see if you get stability with stock clocks on a fresh install then move on from there

*edit* spelling

hmmmmm you must have psychic powers. lol. I was thinking that, I did as munch as I could but something went bad...really, really bad. I will tinker with it for a few and try to restore a image I made earlier. But chances are same results (Never had to reinstall over a card upgrade...BOOO!) Are ATI drivers this bad these days!? Or was I that careless?? WOW, Might go with Nvidia next time. lol :lol: Thanks g00fy!
  9. some people have issues with ati drivers, i've built several systems with ati cards, the most recent a 5770 it was a good card, played everythign well and after a drive sweep it went easy in with no issues.

I usually set my system restor points right after i install the OS andmobo drivers and if i change a graphics card for somebody i back up thier data then go back to that point before nay video drivers on machines i've built to avoid any conflicts.

in the 5770 case he had a 9800gt and after the stepback all it took was new card and install the drivers

*add* note i do mostly use nvidia icards in my own rigs but thats more for CUDA than a particular brand prefrance
  10. .net problems, apps crashing, "server execution error", bad PSU that you swapped, you've had three cards die on you in what seems to be a short span of time and have had to replace other bits of hardware. This doesn't sound like a GPU issue, it just sounds like your GPU keeps taking the brunt of whats going wrong. From how you are speaking you built your own system, I would start checking compatibility issues with what hardware you have. It sounds like something doesn't like working with something else that's plugged in. I notice you said you bought a new CPU and mobo, did you use the same RAM from your old system in this combo? If so did you make sure it was compatible? Have you checked any reviews on your PSU to see if it has stability issues?
  11. CrazeEAdrian said:
    .net problems, apps crashing, "server execution error", bad PSU that you swapped, you've had three cards die on you in what seems to be a short span of time and have had to replace other bits of hardware. This doesn't sound like a GPU issue, it just sounds like your GPU keeps taking the brunt of whats going wrong. From how you are speaking you built your own system, I would start checking compatibility issues with what hardware you have. It sounds like something doesn't like working with something else that's plugged in. I notice you said you bought a new CPU and mobo, did you use the same RAM from your old system in this combo? If so did you make sure it was compatible? Have you checked any reviews on your PSU to see if it has stability issues?

Hello CrazeEAdrian,

Yes I do deep research on systems that I build. I usually follow what people say on newegg, Amazon, Overclockers.net and on here. The cards I had was all XFX cards. Many ppl had issues with them but I was too blind on the "Lifetime warranty" and thought it will guarantee that I will always have a Card (Guess not). The recent issues with software happened when I upgraded the 4890 to 5870. I am using new ram with my new build -> Corsair Dominators. I used to use nvidia a while back in 05. Ever since I switched to ATI I continue to have issues with drivers. Antec PSU received good reviews on newegg when I bought it the other PSU was a Diablotek (I had it coming buying that one...lol) I will definitely look deeper on my choice of hardware for now on. You are right that something is causing a snowball effect on my systems. :cry:
  12. g00fysmiley said:
    some people have issues with ati drivers, i've built several systems with ati cards, the most recent a 5770 it was a good card, played everythign well and after a drive sweep it went easy in with no issues.

I usually set my system restor points right after i install the OS andmobo drivers and if i change a graphics card for somebody i back up thier data then go back to that point before nay video drivers on machines i've built to avoid any conflicts.

in the 5770 case he had a 9800gt and after the stepback all it took was new card and install the drivers

*add* note i do mostly use nvidia icards in my own rigs but thats more for CUDA than a particular brand prefrance

I heard great things about the 5770 especially in CF. I used Nvidia on rigs I built for people cause I know the driver issue will make me worry about satisfaction of my customers and friends. For some odd reason my systems tend to freak out on the GPU area. But I blame that on myself. I dont use system restore I make images of my system once per week. I am rather reckless on my own builds :pfff: (Maybe I get too overconfident?) Thank you for the advice and the help.
  13. By the way guys, I used a image from my back up from last week, run driver sweeper, ccleaner and installed the card and drivers. For some reason it doesn't like CCC 10.11 I took that one off and used 10. 7 and it worked well. I still going to most likely go with nvidia next built. Um I upgraded to a I7 950 and Rampage III, from amd X4 955 due to I sold he old system. Lesson learned and I really do appreciate everyone's help and advice. Thank you all!!!
  14. When it comes to Nvidia the GTX460 and 470 are the best bang for buck cards that are DX11. If you want all out performance then the GTX580 is top gear.

Be sure to keep a very close eye on what every you do get.
Ask a new question

Read More

Graphics Cards Graphics