omgitzdpwner

Distinguished
Feb 1, 2011
Hello everyone! I am planning to build a gaming computer for around $1400 this summer and I wanted everyone's advice. Here are my goals for the build

Usage: Gaming (mostly), general use (ie websurfing, emailing etc)

Budget: hopefully around $1400 though willing 2 go a little higher if strongly recommended

Features: blu-ray, raid 0 harddrive (2x 500 gb) with internal backup (2 tb), cool lighting, gaming keyboard/mouse, speaker system, overclocked cpu, ati 6950 video card, 22ing led monitor

CPU: powerful yet not overly expensive,overlocking ability, quad core. looking at amd 955 black edition cpu

additional notes: i want it to be relatively quiet, and have great gaming ability. I am planning to buy the parts from tigerdirect.com and assemble them myself

Questions:
-Is the video card i am using complete overkill? Would it be better to go to a cheaper card or an Nvidia one?
-Is the cpu and motherboard i am choosing look good, is it futureproof and good enough for my aims?
-Is the raid 0 worthwile or should i just get 1 large harddrive for cheaper? (I still want to keep the backup for securities sake)

I have a sample build here. Please look it over and give me your advice and suggestions. Thanks!!!
Here is a link to my tigerdirect wish list.
http://www.tigerdirect.com/sectors/wishlist/wishlist.asp?WishId=7C187791-0500-494D-AF09-DD2CF06FDAC6&SRCCODE=WEBWISH

Hello omgitzdpwner;
With a summer build schedule we figure you have plenty of time yet before you need to be picking the actual parts. That's mostly 'cause AMD Bulldozer will be out and the Sandy Bridge stuff should be sorted.

The only issue I have with your parts list so far is that Aspire 600W DarkSide PSU. I could not find any independent review to show its a quality power supply.
Ideally, we like to see a PSU thats been thoroughly tested and examined. For example: Seasonic S12 II Bronze 520W review @ JonnyGuru