4870x2 and 32bit OS

billybobser

Distinguished
Aug 25, 2011
Not sure where to put this article, but anyway.

I have a 4870x2 which has '2gb of ram'. and I am aware of the limitation of a 32bit os and the 4gb limit.

I would like to know whether the OS sees the 2gb of the 4870x2, or just the 1Gb (since it is mirrored for the 2nd gpu).

Also! Is there any benefit (substantial) of a 64 bit OS over 32bit.
I see alot of people saying "security, stability, runs quickers" with no quantative evidence.

(computer in question is not scheduled to last much longer than a year before a clean sweep and new hardware, so 'future proofing' is not a factor)

The computer is primarily used for games (med/high settings) and non work related mucking about.

if anyone has any experience it of the 32bit + 4870x2 it would be appreicated to save me some time.

If you have the card, why don't you just pop it in and see what happens? I think you will find that the only drawback is you will only have enough address space left to make use of 2 out of your 4 gig of RAM.

This should let you know right away why a 64bit OS is desirable. It can address 128gig of memory, so you don't have these problems. The advantage of a 64 bit OS over that has nothing to do really with being 64 bit, its just the fact that its Win7 instead of XP. There are a lot of improvements over XP. Whether or not any of them will benefit you specifically, well only you can answer that by going to the Microsoft web site and checking it out. But sooner of later, you are going to have to make the switch anyway.

billybobser

Distinguished
Aug 25, 2011
well to reveal my plan in more detail, is that I currently run 64 bit.

However I am trying to get the OS installed space down (lower space required on an SSD say) by using a 32 bit os.

However, the 4870x2 is confusing as it's advertised as 2gb, but I'm pretty sure (not 100% ) that only 1gb is readable by the OS and the card simply mirrors data on 1gb to the other gb.

Oh man, I would never go back to a 32 bit OS to try and save disk space, that's just not worth it. Buy a bigger disk. I am running a 60gig SSD with Win7 64 bit, and Microsoft Office, my antivirus software, and a few other odds and ends that I wanted on the SSD, have been for about 6 or 7 months now, and I am only using 35 gig of space on my SSD. I have a 1TB Western Digital Black though that I load everything else on.

pharoahhalfdead

Distinguished
Nov 30, 2010
Hey Billy, I had a similar situation. I was running a dual boot Xp32, and Vista 64(mostly for gaming and adobe). At the time I had upgraded to a GTX 295 from 9800 Gx2. My system had 8gb ram. In Xp, with the 295 installed my properties show something like 1.85gb ram installed (don't quite remember), compared to 2.75gb ram with the Gx2. Honestly, in Xp, I did notice more lag with the new card. My system wasn't as responsive.

Up to that point I had normally used Xp. In general, to me windows usage was much quicker, and more responsive, but after getting the 295, I primarily used Vista. The decrease in the amound of available ram really took it's toll at that point. Vista seemed to run smoother and multi tasking didn't have me waiting bcuz of system lag.

TRENDING THREADS