New CPU fan computer not powering.

jackblack91

Distinguished
May 1, 2011
Just got a new "Cool Master Hyper 212 Plus" CPU fan to replace my stock one that came with my "AMD Phenom II x4 965 3.4 GHz" cause i'm a overclocker. I removed the stock fan and cleaned the CPU with cleaning solution (Thermal Material Remover and Thermal Surface Purifier from ArctiClean). After cleaning I applied the thermal paste to the heat sink (like the instructions told me) and fastened the heat sink into place, as well as the fan and decided to test. Plugged everything in, pressed power, heard a brief *clicking* sound, and then nothin... Tried repeated times to be sure (including taking out the power plug and reincerting and also trying without power to the CPU fan), and nada. Next I removed the heat sink and noticed there was thermal paste gooping over (too much paste) the CPU from the pressure of the heat sink and CPU, so I removed the CPU to inspect it and there was paste on a few of the side pins so I got a tooth brush and used the Thermal Surface Purifier (cause that is all I had in my household) and began to lightly brush until there was no specks left on the pins side. Incerting the CPU back in and applying a new 'less' coat of thermal paste this time and fastened heat sink into place securely, decided to test. Plugged everything in, pressed power, heard a brief *clicking* sound, and once agian nothing:/ 

Could my power supply be done (which I highly don't think) or could the thermal paste have done it, etc. Any suggestions to resolve this issue?

Jack when you say nothing do you mean the whole system wouldn't fire up or just the new heatsink fan?

If the system isn't firing up then I doubt its a heatsink issue and too much thermal paste shouldn't do it either.

This will help with installation http://www.arcticsilver.com/amd_application_method.html#

Try unplugging everything, and press your power button a few times then just plug in the cables you need to fire up and reset your bios.

If it works start plugging things back in one by one, if it doesn't work it sounds psu/mobo related.

RickyT23

Distinguished
Dec 10, 2009
OK this might be a dumb question, but humour me - is the fan of the heatsink catching on something (i.e. a bit of wire is blocking the fins of the fan)? - that would explain the clicking sound.

That's possible, and if so, the clicking will have the same frequency as the fan speed and will cycle along with the fan speed.

jackblack91

Distinguished
May 1, 2011

The whole system won't start, and clicking seems to be coming from the power supply.

Will try, thank you.

jackblack91

Distinguished
May 1, 2011

Lol. Answer to you're query - There is no cable or wire obstructing the fins of the CPU fan.