CPU & SYS fan speed problems... help!

G

Hello,
I have just upgraded my motherboard to a Foxconn A74ML, and also the power supply and fans. My problem is I cannot slow either the CPU or SYS fan from the max 2000-2500rpm average - which is getting very annoying now as its so loud.

I have used the Foxconn utility and also the BIOS settings at startup to set the fan on/off/idle speeds etc but nothing seems to work - they just keep running at full rpm!

My CPU temp is an average of 47degC, my SYS temp is a constant 36degC, and my ambient room temp is about 20degC.

Can anyone help or suggest how I can control these fans because I'm about pull it out and go back to my old motherboard.

Many thanks guys!

G

Thanks for the reply ubercake.... Yeah it was 47deg at idle yesterday, this morning it is 39deg and slowly climbing. The processor is an AMD Athlon X2 64. The fan is a Spire and is apparently very efficient?!?

Both fans are currently running at 2600+rpm, and have been for an hour. The temps have remained unchanged give or take a few deg since I powered on. These readings are what I'm getting from the Foxconn utility - which is supposed to allow adjustment of the fan speeds.

I tried out Speedfan yesterday but it was a waste of time... totally baffling and unintuitive to use, it just told me exactly what the Foxconn software did, and just made everything a lot more complicated.

There seems to be a problem with both the BIOS and the Foxconn software not communicating with the motherboard. Someone advised me to update the firmware for the motherboard and this would fix it??

Any ideas anyone?....

Thanks for the reply ubercake.... Yeah it was 47deg at idle yesterday, this morning it is 39deg and slowly climbing. The processor is an AMD Athlon X2 64. The fan is a Spire and is apparently very efficient?!?

Both fans are currently running at 2600+rpm, and have been for an hour. The temps have remained unchanged give or take a few deg since I powered on. These readings are what I'm getting from the Foxconn utility - which is supposed to allow adjustment of the fan speeds.

I tried out Speedfan yesterday but it was a waste of time... totally baffling and unintuitive to use, it just told me exactly what the Foxconn software did, and just made everything a lot more complicated.

There seems to be a problem with both the BIOS and the Foxconn software not communicating with the motherboard. Someone advised me to update the firmware for the motherboard and this would fix it??

Any ideas anyone?....
Are you using a 3rd-party or stock CPU cooler? 47C seems high at idle especially considering your fans must be running near full speed?

Do you have two fans on the CPU cooler? Which fans are powered by the motherboard?

You may need to just remove the cooler, remove the thermal compound, re-apply the thermal compound, and reseat the cooler.

G

I'm using a third party cooler but it came in a bundle pack with the mboard & the processor. Its just one fan on the CPU, plugged into the mboard, and a sys fan on the case, also plugged into mboard.

Now heres a development... In the box for the new sys fan (which I didnt see yesterday) is a patch lead with a 56ohm resistor for lowering the fan speed! ...just tried it and it works a treat - sys fan now running at 1400rpm, temp hasnt moved at all and its very quiet. I also tried it on the CPU fan and it works great, now down to 1900rpm & is almost silent!!

However... I restarted and checked the temps again in BIOS, the sys temp is still at 35-36deg, and the CPU is showing 48deg. Now I thought I'd get a 'second opinion' on the temps so I downloaded CoreTemp software, and it says my CPY temp is 27degC! Eh?? ...how can the BIOS reading be 20deg out? ...which one is correct?!