rtaylor92694

Distinguished
Dec 3, 2010
I just got a new gtx480 pny overclock and not running much faster then my 8800gt.
Also my cousin has a overclocked 8800 gt that runs better then my 480. He has a intel 2.4 dual core processor vs my amd.

This made me think it was my system, and so i ran a few test.

Memory: I have 5 gigs of ram that are all pc6400. I thought maybe it was my memory being different brands it could affect it but they are all the same type of 6400 ddr2 and one has faster speed but i read that it will clock at the lower speed so its the same as the other memories. Just encase i was wrong i swapped the memories in an out and ran 3 gigs of identical memory, had no fps boost. The memory is 4 slots running single channel. I also tried 3 gigs of dual channel.

Power supply: Im running a 500 watt power supply. So i went and bought a new power supply thinking it didnt have enough power and same fps. I bought a 700 watt ps. I also tried running my 700 watt ps for the video card and the 500 for just the system and nothing.

processor:im thinking its my processor possibly cause amd processors are crap. I have a dual core 2.4 Brisbane 4800. I cant just buy a new processor to test it unless im sure. Why i dont think its my processor is because its not running at 100% when i play games. Ive tried overclocking it but had some issues with the system crashing. Ive read my processor arent good at overclocking.

any suggestion or other test i could run would be great.

rtaylor92694

Distinguished
Dec 3, 2010
Well Im looking at processors and im not sure which to get. Do i want a triple core 2.7? or a dual core 3.1? im not entirely sure on the difference between core and mhz. I use the comp for gaming

TRENDING THREADS