M5A99X Evo - Weird reboot/sleep behavior...

Status
Not open for further replies.

eturnal

Distinguished
Nov 25, 2011
Hey all.

My machine is acting strange when rebooting and sleeping after I finished installing Windows last night.

Motherboard: Asus M5A99X Evo
Processor: AMD Phenom II X4 970 BE
Ram: 2x4GB Crucial Ballistix DDR3 1333
HDD: 1TB Hitachi
Video Card: 9800GT SLI
PSU: Rosewill 500W
Case: Antec Three Hundred Black Steel

When I turn the computer off via Windows...
* The monitor turns off
* The keyboard turns off
* The fans inside the computer speed up and stay that way until I switch off the PSU
* The power light on the front of the case stays on

When I reboot the computer
* The computer goes to the 'Off' state (with all the symptoms stated above)
* The computer never comes back on
* Key presses won't wake it up

When the computer sleeps
* The monitor turns off
* The fans inside the computer speed up and stay that way until I wake the computer up
* The power light on the front of the case stays on
* Key press returns the fan speeds to their normal state and Windows comes back up

If anyone knows if there is a BIOS setting, a jumper or a setting in Windows I need to configure to fix all this I'd love to know what it is. It's annoying walking down stairs and it sounding like a jet engine is firing up... and also, I don't think it's good to put that unnecessary wear on the fans.

Thanks in advance for your comments.

Solution
Just closing out this thread.

My Rosewill 500W PSU crapped out on me the other day so I purchased an OCZ 750W ZT PSU. The new PSU will now let my computer sleep or shut down without turning the fans on full blast. Also, I can reboot my machine and wake it from sleeping without toggling the rocker switch on the back of the PSU.

So, verdict: Faulty PSU.

eturnal

Distinguished
Nov 25, 2011
Just closing out this thread.

My Rosewill 500W PSU crapped out on me the other day so I purchased an OCZ 750W ZT PSU. The new PSU will now let my computer sleep or shut down without turning the fans on full blast. Also, I can reboot my machine and wake it from sleeping without toggling the rocker switch on the back of the PSU.

So, verdict: Faulty PSU.

Solution
Status
Not open for further replies.