LOOKING TO SPEND AUD 1300.

asiminaris

Distinguished
Feb 1, 2011
Hey all ,
Im looking to spend AUD 1300 on some parts to upgrade my computer, i am going to be keeping my case and PSU.
would like to know if AMD or INTEL is the way to go.

The system im looking to build is purely for gaming and i want to run all my games at 1920x resolution , which is the average these days.

Parts i want to upgrade are the

Cpu
Motherboard
Graphics card
SSD hard drive
Monitor
Ram

Only parts i had in mind if it was an Intel build was the gigabyte ud4 motherboard .
Graphics card i had in mind was single gtx570 or would i be able to afford SLI or CF???

Would be greatly appreciated if i could get a few ideas thrown at me, and if i can afford to future proof my build a little that would be great:)
Thx in advance. XD

Solution
If you have read about Sandy Bridge CPUs, then you have your eyes set on 'em. I suggest you wait it out. Intel has already been manufacturing the fixed chipsets (P67/H67) for mobo manufacturers who will take time to put 'em on the mobos. It'll be April before the new batch of mobos are in stock. If you have a Core 2 Due/Quad or Phenom pc, you def. can wait. Perhaps, you should grab a new video card right now since nvidia dished out a GTX560 & amd cut prices of some 1GB high-end cards by $100 US. It can tide you over to the big upgrade.

http://www.intel.com/support/chipsets/sb/CS-032263.htm

newegg & nicx, for example, are both promising to replace defective LGA1155 mobos that are already sold for free and they extend warranty to beyond...

sandybridge

Distinguished
Jan 17, 2011
LGA1155 is being recalled to fix a SATA performance bug. That's out of the question. Won't be in stock for a month or so. Some premium boards support both SLI & CF. If you can wait, it's the best gaming platform.

LGA1156 is not a bad platform, but outdated. It may not get many new cpus. If you don't upgrade the cpu or you'll do an overhaul, it's not a bad buy right now. It's stable. has been out for a year or so. Some premium boards support both SLI & CF.

LGA1366 will be replaced by LGA2011 in about Q3/11. It's a premium platform. You'd need a LGA1366 cpu to go with it. Also, 3x2 or 3x4GB DDR3 ram. Yup, triple channel. If you buy this, you'll have 1+ year before end of life. Again, it'll still run, but not have many new cpus.

AM3 will be replaced by AM3+. Not sure about the release date. AMD users swear by it. Pair it with a AMD890 chipset mobo and you're all set. Some new boards have USB3.0 & SATA6gbps. However, AMD mobos support only CF.

Where do you shop? What apps & games do you run?

asiminaris

Distinguished
Feb 1, 2011

It sounds like i have limited options as to what i can buy at this point of time , should i wait a few months till something new comes out or buy something now?
The place i shop at is www.eyo.com.au and with applications ill be running windows 7 64 bit. As far as games i would like to be able to run metro 2033 , crysis 2 and nfs shift 2 on high or max setting if possible lol. I occasionally play world of warcraft but we all know that doesnt require a hell of alot of hardware.
so the question is should i wait a few months, if not wat are my best options? to be honest im more confused now that there has been a recall.

sandybridge

Distinguished
Jan 17, 2011
If you have read about Sandy Bridge CPUs, then you have your eyes set on 'em. I suggest you wait it out. Intel has already been manufacturing the fixed chipsets (P67/H67) for mobo manufacturers who will take time to put 'em on the mobos. It'll be April before the new batch of mobos are in stock. If you have a Core 2 Due/Quad or Phenom pc, you def. can wait. Perhaps, you should grab a new video card right now since nvidia dished out a GTX560 & amd cut prices of some 1GB high-end cards by $100 US. It can tide you over to the big upgrade.

http://www.intel.com/support/chipsets/sb/CS-032263.htm

newegg & nicx, for example, are both promising to replace defective LGA1155 mobos that are already sold for free and they extend warranty to beyond the 30 days money-back. newegg has 90 days now & nicx has 6 months extra warranty, on top of manufacturer warranty. If you're a risk taker, you may shop around for LGA1155 + 2500K combo. I trust Australian stores will replace the mobo once replacements are available(april).

To be honest, I haven't had ANY problems with my 2500K + P67 upgrade. I do full virus scans on the hdd every day. My room is the warmest. I read that mobo manufacturers couldn't reproduce the bug even after heating up the mobos.

If you can't wait, AMD & LGA1156 are the best options right now. LGA1366 is too expensive.

Solution

TRENDING THREADS