Sign in with
Your question

In need of a new computer, pre-built or other wise...

Last response: in Systems
February 2, 2011 4:09:56 AM

Hi. I'm fairly new to the site. Lot's of information, and you people seem like the welcoming sort. I came here in hopes of figuring out exactly what I can get for around $500, w/shipping. Ugh, man Im not sure what I am expecting here lol.

Basically, I am looking for something that I can play *some* games on, nothing hardcore. I am looking to get something for basic entertainment. But again, something not incredibly weak. And for the money I can probably afford, that may be asking a lot. This could be something that I work on building up, over time.

I won't bother you with asking to make me a list of different parts, etc. I see that all over the forums, and it just seems like , well, that it would annoy other members so they'd probably not bother due to all the requests (unless that is ok?). Do you know of any good systems that are out there, pre-built, that would allow for future upgrading, and still within a reasonable price range? I have seen plenty myself, but a lot of them come with integrated gpu's and whatnot. Oh, and please, excuse my lack of knowledge on all this, I am really just trying to learn, and I have done some research when I have time.

Hm, what else can I add...

Well, what I do not really need:

Monitor (I'll use my 32" HD)

Keyboard/Mouse

Speakers

Possibly the HDD from my current computer

Hopefully you kind folks can help me out here. I've noticed all the requests, and it must get overwhelming, so please forgive me for being a noob. Could someone please be so kind as to let me know if this is in the correct section? Thank you very much.
February 2, 2011 6:53:24 AM

Hey there haiden,

Do not fret building your own computer can be easy! Practice makes perfect right? If you are looking for a computer around $500, you could check out this gaming build for $510 which is pretty decent: http://newbcomputerbuild.com/computer-builds/gaming-bui...

The parts are listed there, so take a look. What are your primary uses for this computer?
m
l
February 2, 2011 1:00:41 PM

haiden said:
Hi. I'm fairly new to the site. Lot's of information, and you people seem like the welcoming sort. I came here in hopes of figuring out exactly what I can get for around $500, w/shipping. Ugh, man Im not sure what I am expecting here lol.

Basically, I am looking for something that I can play *some* games on, nothing hardcore. I am looking to get something for basic entertainment. But again, something not incredibly weak. And for the money I can probably afford, that may be asking a lot. This could be something that I work on building up, over time.

I won't bother you with asking to make me a list of different parts, etc. I see that all over the forums, and it just seems like , well, that it would annoy other members so they'd probably not bother due to all the requests (unless that is ok?). Do you know of any good systems that are out there, pre-built, that would allow for future upgrading, and still within a reasonable price range? I have seen plenty myself, but a lot of them come with integrated gpu's and whatnot. Oh, and please, excuse my lack of knowledge on all this, I am really just trying to learn, and I have done some research when I have time.

Hm, what else can I add...

Well, what I do not really need:

Monitor (I'll use my 32" HD)

Keyboard/Mouse

Speakers

Possibly the HDD from my current computer

Hopefully you kind folks can help me out here. I've noticed all the requests, and it must get overwhelming, so please forgive me for being a noob. Could someone please be so kind as to let me know if this is in the correct section? Thank you very much.

Don't worry...even noobs can put together a PC :D 

Here is a ~$500 build from the Systems Builders Marathon here @THG:
http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/build-a-pc-overcloc...
just for comparison.. :sol: 
m
l
February 2, 2011 6:04:59 PM

thank you both very much for the recommendations! i was just being lazy here, and should really do my own research, it only makes sense! i will take a look at all parts included, to get an idea of exactly how to match up the necessary parts. i'll , hopefully, be able to get this going within the next 2 weeks. just got to catch up on a couple bills.

blood, i'll use this for mostly movies. and in the future i'd like to add better upgrades.

clark lol, yeah im not totally lost. i'm pretty good at figuring things out, its just a matter of having the time to do so.
m
l
!