Sign in with
Your question

Updated the Game rig, have a RAID question

Last response: in Systems
February 2, 2011 4:47:16 AM

Spent the day today putting together my updated gaming rig from the old setup. The old one was never meant as a gaming PC to begin with, I took it in partial trade for my old i7 980x game rig a while back due to some personal issues (money). So I could finally afford to upgrade again and be able to run high settings in the games I like to play (BF2, Mass Effect 2, MW2, etc.) using 16:10 ratio 1920x1200. I feel like I'm part of a dying breed running at these settings, seems like everyone is switching over to 16:9 1080p settings of 1920x1080. Anyways, on to the specs.

Out with the old:

-Antec P183 with CM 650 watt PSU
-MSI G31TM socket 775
-Intel E6500 2.93ghz
-2GB DDR2 800
-GTX260 896MB
-Patriot Torx 64GB with windows 7 Ultimate
-2x Seagate ST31000528AS 1.00 TB

In with the new:

-NZXT Phantom White, re-used the CM 650 watt PSU
-Gigabyte P67A-UD3
-Intel Core i5 2500K
-4GB Corsair DDR3 1600 (soon to be 8GB)
-PNY GTX570 1280MB
-Carried over Patriot Torx 64GB with windows 7 Ultimate
-Carried over 2x Seagate ST31000528AS 1.00 TB
-1x Seagate ST32000540AS 2.00 TB

Performance has been really good so far. I've run several games at maxed settings 1920x1200 and it worked great maintaining high FPS, but loading times are relatively slow. A good example, my xbox360 loads Mass Effect 2 levels in about 6-8 seconds off of the game dvd, my computer takes 15-20 seconds to load the same thing off of the hard drive. I only run windows off of the SSD, games are installed on one of the 1TB drives. I had the same problem with it before upgrading so I know it isn't the P67 tanking on me yet, however I wasn't minding it so much because the system was very budget oriented and I really didn't try any serious gaming with it.

So here is my question, I have moved all of the files I had on the twin 1TB drives to the 2TB, and plan to format the 1TB drives and run them in RAID 0, will I see a decent performance increase? I'm open to buying a decent sized 10k RPM drive if I have to but I would rather work with what I have already. I won't waste my time if there isn't a noticeable difference. I have absolutely no experience using data striping, I have only used RAID 1 for backup. Any suggestions on a better plan?

February 2, 2011 8:16:39 AM

Well I went ahead and just set it up, I'm still curious what kind of improvement I could see. So far windows rates my computer a 7.9 across the board *insert eye roll here*.

I dug around a bit about the sandy bridge problem and found this gem:

Quote:
On its conference call to discuss the issue, Intel told me that it hasn’t been made aware of a single failure seen by end users. Intel expects that over 3 years of use it would see a failure rate of approximately 5 - 15% depending on usage model. Remember this problem isn’t a functional issue but rather one of those nasty statistical issues, so by nature it should take time to show up in large numbers (at the same time there should still be some very isolated incidents of failure early on).
m
l
a c 84 B Homebuilt system
February 2, 2011 1:51:35 PM

1) Until the 6 series chipset issue is resolved, try not to use the 3gb sata ports.

2) If necessary, get a pci-e sata expansion card.

3) I am generally not enthused about the performance of raid-0. If your game loads are sequential in nature, then it might help.
It is worth a try.

4) A better performer would be to put your current game on the SSD, or, get a second ssd for the games.
m
l
Related resources
a c 90 B Homebuilt system
February 2, 2011 2:09:00 PM

+1 for putting that SSD to work a bit harder keeping your favorite 'game de jour' on the SSD..

I'd say go ahead and use your 3GB/s ports. The failure mode is heavy usage over time and that's something you're not likely to reach before you get the recall notice.
m
l
February 2, 2011 6:49:44 PM

I used the crap out of all 6 ports for several hours yesterday, transferring about 1.8TB trying to consolidate all of my stuff. Like I said, I'm not sure of the performance increase if any, but its worth a try. I already have the parts so the worst that can happen is I still don't like it and maybe get a second SSD.
m
l
!